Forums > General Industry > Best photo software?

Model

Tania Lin

Tampa, Florida, US

Besides Adobe what do you think is the best photo touch up software?

Dec 26 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

MS Paint.

Dec 26 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
MS Paint.

ugh great advice (doug rolls eyes)..

tan
if your looking for cheap..photoshop elements (photoshop lite)
if your looking for free Corel's paint shop pro.

Dec 26 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
MS Paint.

seriousness surrenders

Dec 26 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Yeah, Photo Shop Elements is Adobe, but it is their cheaper photo software package and has quite bit of functionality.

As for non-Adobe a lot of people like Paint Shop Pro & Ulead's Photo Impact.

Dec 26 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

GEORGE_UK

Picture window

Dec 26 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

Tania Lin

Tampa, Florida, US

Thank you!

Dec 26 06 12:50 pm Link

Model

Hacked Account

Houston, Alaska, US

I use them all, but I really like paint shop pro photo 11... For $29 you can't go wrong with the features it offers...

Dec 26 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Macromedia Fireworks.

Dec 26 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

I used Paint Shop Pro for about 8 years....

Now that I've switched to Adobe PS I'd never switch back... but for a beginner, PSP is good.

Dec 26 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

F-Stop Images

Clarksville, Arkansas, US

Microsoft's Digital Image.

Dec 26 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Taneia wrote:

I find it interesting that people refer to 'Adobe' as if that was a program. Adobe is a company. They make software. For example:

Acrobat
Illustrator
Photoshop
Lightroom
InDesign

I have a ton of Adobe software on my computer, including everything on that list. I suppose your question is in comparison to Photoshop. The answer, naturally, is 'it depends.' What do you want to do with your photos? What platform are you on? If you're using a Mac, then you can use iPhoto for a lot of your basic photo editing. If you're on a DOS machine, there are a lot of other options -- some good, some bad.

Dec 26 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

What is MS paint?

Is this a Joke?

I have used ACDSEE for many years the newer versions are very nice,

That new Corel like Doug says is very nice also..Paint Shop Pro

If Photoshop had the speed that some of these other programs had i would probably just use it..

Alot of these programs are now taking PS Plugins..Could be very valuable if you cannot afford the Real Deal..

But after all of the programs i use i always finish up in PS....Figure That

(:--------

Hj

Dec 26 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Wayver

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Taneia wrote:

Paint Shop Pro Xl great program, have been using it since it was freeware then it was sold to Jasc and now to Corel, don't get caught up by the Name of the products, since
PS pro 9 they have always had one up on PS, but every one thinks PS is the one and only. Since PS Pro X came along PS made upgrades PSCS, PS Pro was much faster and had some things PSCS did not have, again PS Pro Xl came out  PSCS had made more Upgardes, still PS Pro Xl is still faster and does things for half the price, its all about marketing. I have the chance too use the both of them and PS ProXl is as good as PS
but does not have the hype behind it

Dec 26 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

No it's not a joke.. Or yes it is..

If you're going to worry about photo editing seriously... Adobe Photoshop IS the standard.. Why spend the time and effort to get steeped in something that you're going to get sneered at for using?

But she took Photoshop off the table.. So, if you're just talking basic, BASIC touchups.. One program's as good as another..

(And no, I'm not saying other programs aren't good or usable, or that there could never be a thing better than Photoshop.. But the learning curve is LONG and DEEP on this stuff..  Might as well pick the application that people take seriously..)

Dec 26 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

EBAnderson

Springfield, Ohio, US

Here's the best deal:

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

Serif isn't that well-known in the U.S., but they're pretty strong in the UK and overseas. Traditionally, they've made the previous version of their software available for free.

Their photo editing and desktop publishing software is quite good at a very reasonable price... free.

Is it Photoshop? No. But for light duty editing or on older computers without a lot of oomph, it works just fine.

Dec 26 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

photoimpact, you can find free copies with some scanners

but ultimatley, the gimp

if you know the gimp you can switch to linux, and you'll stop paying up the butt for ms office, windows os.. etc

Dec 26 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

EBAnderson wrote:
Here's the best deal:

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

Serif isn't that well-known in the U.S., but they're pretty strong in the UK and overseas. Traditionally, they've made the previous version of their software available for free.

Their photo editing and desktop publishing software is quite good at a very reasonable price... free.

Is it Photoshop? No. But for light duty editing or on older computers without a lot of oomph, it works just fine.

Does the free version support RAW or NEF files...i couldn't find that info on the website...??

Dec 26 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

There is always GIMP https://www.glenvision.com/cgi/forum.gif It's available for several different operating systems, and has many tools that are similar to the tools available in Photoshop.

There is also CinePaint, which is widely used in Hollywood for special-effects editing. Cinepaint is based on GIMP, but has an expanded feature set including working with high bit depth images, and importing some of the more exotic file formats that Hollywood tends to use at times.

take care,
Glen

Dec 26 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

If I couldn't afford the full version of Photoshop I would choose Paint Shop Pro Photo XI over Photoshop elements...I can't live with out layer masks and Elements doesn't have them but Paint Shop Pro does...

I actually use CS2 and Paint Shop Pro...there are a few automated tasks in Paint Shop Pro that I prefer over doing the long way in Photoshop...

Dec 26 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Ditto on Paint Shop Pro -- I've been using it for almost 10 years.  I'm on version 9 now & will probably upgrade to version 11 next summer.

The downside to Paint Shop Pro -- there is no good / easy way to learn how to perform advanced editing, while there are tons of classes & books on Photoshop.

Tangent:  Regardless of whether you use Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop, check out this excellent add-in:  http://www.optikvervelabs.com/ (Virtual Photographer)

Dec 26 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Taneia wrote:

The best touch up software? The photographer that took the photos.

Dec 26 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Wayver wrote:

Paint Shop Pro Xl great program, have been using it since it was freeware then it was sold to Jasc and now to Corel, don't get caught up by the Name of the products, since
PS pro 9 they have always had one up on PS, but every one thinks PS is the one and only. Since PS Pro X came along PS made upgrades PSCS, PS Pro was much faster and had some things PSCS did not have, again PS Pro Xl came out  PSCS had made more Upgardes, still PS Pro Xl is still faster and does things for half the price, its all about marketing. I have the chance too use the both of them and PS ProXl is as good as PS
but does not have the hype behind it

I used PSP from Version 5 til version X.  As I already said... I loved it... but once I actually took the time to learn how to use PS, I'd never go back to PSP, and it's not because PS is all hype.

Dec 26 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Ditto on Paint Shop Pro -- I've been using it for almost 10 years.  I'm on version 9 now & will probably upgrade to version 11 next summer.

The downside to Paint Shop Pro -- there is no good / easy way to learn how to perform advanced editing, while there are tons of classes & books on Photoshop.

Tangent:  Regardless of whether you use Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop, check out this excellent add-in:  http://www.optikvervelabs.com/ (Virtual Photographer)

I get worried when things are free...nothing is really free...

Dec 26 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Full Sun Photography

Dickson, Tennessee, US

I'm using Paint Shop Pro XI now , but it's my very first try at manipulating photos and I've been the owner of a computer now for just little more than a year...It's my understanding that the Adobe Photoshop programs are the most used and advanced , but most people tell me that with no more computer experience than I've got , then learning Photoshop , at least for me will be nearly impossible...You can look at my pics...I did all of them with PSP XI..

Dec 26 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Full Sun Photography wrote:
I'm using Paint Shop Pro XI now , but it's my very first try at manipulating photos and I've been the owner of a computer now for just little more than a year...It's my understanding that the Adobe Photoshop programs are the most used and advanced , but most people tell me that with no more computer experience than I've got , then learning Photoshop , at least for me will be nearly impossible...You can look at my pics...I did all of them with PSP XI..

The good thing about Paint Shop Pro is that the concepts are not very different...even many of the keyboard shortcuts are the same...if you use it for a while and get good at it...learning Photoshop will not be that difficult of a transition...

Dec 26 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

BlackWatch wrote:
I get worried when things are free...nothing is really free...

I understand, but if there were strings attached, I wouldn't recommend it.  You don't even have to "register".  And it's an add-on, not a potential malware threat.

But hey, don't look into it.  That's fine, too.

Dec 26 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

R A Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

In my opinion, you can do just about anything with Paint Shop Pro XI that you can do with most other editing programs...sometimes more. I have been using PSP XI for a little bit now, and love it! It's less expensive, and more user-friendly.

Dec 26 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

BlackWatch wrote:

The good thing about Paint Shop Pro is that the concepts are not very different...even many of the keyboard shortcuts are the same...if you use it for a while and get good at it...learning Photoshop will not be that difficult of a transition...

Agreed.  I feared Photoshop for the longest time.  I tried 6, gave up, 7, gave up, it wasn't til CS that I finally hunkered down and got used tot he differences.  After I got out of my PSP habits when editing, Photoshop got better and better and easier and easier.

Dec 26 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

I understand, but if there were strings attached, I wouldn't recommend it.  You don't even have to "register".  And it's an add-on, not a potential malware threat.

I just read some of what you can perform with it... and they are all basic functions in both PSP and PS.  Am I mistaken?

Dec 26 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

BeccaAnnPhotoGal wrote:
In my opinion, you can do just about anything with Paint Shop Pro XI that you can do with most other editing programs...sometimes more. I have been using PSP XI for a little bit now, and love it! It's less expensive, and more user-friendly.

The only difference I noticed so far is the speed...we do a lot of editing by hand with Wacom tablets...the speed I am used to working at on Photoshop...it doesn't seem Paint Shop Pro can keep up with cloning and airbrushing large images...

Dec 26 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

No...I appreciate the tip...just can't seem to find the catch...it's unusual...

Dec 26 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Cogito Ergo Zoom

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Also you may want to check out some of the Ulead products.

Dec 26 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

MMPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

A darkroom.

Dec 26 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Photoshop is still the benchmark, but graphicconverter - shareware at $30.00 - is a great deal.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/

Dec 26 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

MMPhotography wrote:
A darkroom.

It's very dark in the room where I use photoshop and PaintShop Pro...
I like it that way!

Dec 26 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Taneia wrote:

Adobe Photoshop
Corel (Fractal Design/HSC/MetaCreations/MetaTools...) Painter
Quantel Paintbox
Autodesk's Toxik and Combustion
eyeon's Fusion

For workflow:

Adobe Lightroom
PhaseOne CaptureOne Pro
Express Digital Darkroom

Dec 26 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

CantikFotos

BlackWatch wrote:

No...I appreciate the tip...just can't seem to find the catch...it's unusual...

There *is* no catch. I've been using it since it was released.

Dec 26 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

CantikFotos

Irfanview is free and can use many filters made for Photoshop.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Dec 26 06 09:04 pm Link