Forums > General Industry > Violating copyrights here

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

I have read several threads about copyrights on this site.  Arguements back and forth.
Then I look at the numerous threads about Which MM model has the best breasts; thighs; lips; ect.?  Which is your pick of the day?  And I see people cutting and pasting in images that other photographers have taken. 
Does no one realize that you are in fact violating copyrights when you reproduce an image on a thread of someone elses work, be it cut and paste or not? 
We seem top spend a lot of time fighting as to what is and is not copyright violations, then we go ahead and do it for our own amusement.

Dec 25 06 06:49 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

oh the chaos!

Dec 25 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

oh the huge manatee!!

https://asterix.ednet.lsu.edu/~edtech/rainfor/manatee/manat2.jpg

mm is devoted to self promotion..
'oh darn, you showed my picture..'

the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about -oscar wilde

Dec 25 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Figures.

Dec 25 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Review and criticism fall under fair use.

Dec 25 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

some folks take themselves way too seriously.

Dec 25 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

It's called respect and the law.
But I realize there are those here how do not care about either.

Dec 25 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

True, but posting someone elses work does not fall under that.  That falls under copyright violation.

Dec 25 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

Mehhh, Merry Christmas anyway.

Dec 25 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ed the Healer

Addison, Alabama, US

Infringement here is a moot point as most of the people on here don't have enough money to retain an attorney to sue for them.  That is, unless the attorney will represent the photog on a TFP basis.

Dec 25 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Shadowscape Studio wrote:
True, but posting someone elses work does not fall under that.  That falls under copyright violation.

As far as I know pasting images on threads is not reproducing, as it is linking to the original image.  If someone were to take the photo, post it somewhere else then yes that would be, but linking the original photo which the party willingly uploaded does not constitute a caopyright violation.

That's how I interpret it at least.  But gotta give the conventional thinkers something to do smile

But good luck trying to prove it was one specific person who pasted the url and hit the reply button and finding anyone to take the point seriously hmm

Dec 25 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Well, I'm anxious for the lawsuits to start rolling in.  Let me find my popcorn....

Dec 25 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

all kidding aside, i dont imagine that anyone would - or coulkd, make money off me, some of my fantasy art winds up here and there as a screesaver, or maybe even a photograph gets used as a screensaver, it's not going to hurt my carreer, it's going to help it.. if i were marketable i would be different i'm sure..

i think people who ruin their photographs with watermarks are missing the boat,  the next level is always a better picture.. so by definition you wouldn't wreak a picture with a watermark..

anyone with a brain nails down something in writing before they try to make money

Dec 25 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

People post excerpts of other's work all the time on the internet with accompanying reviews/critiques. Unless the author complains, no harm no foul is the general rule of thumb.

Please, I invite all of you to critique and repost my images for non-commercial purposes. Isn't that the point of posting images here?

Dec 25 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Actually, I am confused by what you are saying.  When you say "cut and paste" from where?

I think what you really mean is that people on this site are hot linking images from this site and posting them in threads.  I don't think that is a copyright violation at all.  There have been cases on the issue of hotlinking, but I don't think we even need to get that far.  They are not reproducing or displaying anything.  They are simply pointing out, through an image hotlink, an image which the photographer chose to upload to this site and display.

I think you would have a real hard time arguing that simply hotlinking, in a thread, to an image on the site, is a copyright violation.

Now if you are suggesting that people are dowloading images from this site, saving it to their own server and then linking to it there, then it is another matter.

Dec 25 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Da double post grinch, sorry.

Dec 25 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

You are free to post a link to another person's work.  You are not free to cut and paste an image into a thread of anothers.  It falls under the same as photocopying an image out of a book. 
True, you are probably not going to be hauled off to jail for doing so, but it is a violation of copyright.
True, most people on this site probably do not care.
True, most of them that do care can not spend the moeny to battle you in court for doing so.
That does not make it right.
You are breaking the law buy posting an actual image on a thread of anothers work without their permission.
Saying it is done all the time, or that this is what this site is about, or that people don't have the money to go through the legal system to fight you for doing so does not justify it.

Dec 25 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Da double post grinch, sorry.

I do that all the time.

What brought this to mind was a thread I saw a day or so ago about TWO MODELS.  There was a poster that put up four images of two models together.  Two of the images where not his/hers.   I don't know if the other two images where or where not theirs.  But two belonged to another photographer.  They were taken from his work and placed on the thread by the poster.
Now I don't really give a rat's ass because they were not mine.  Had they been I would have been pissed.  Very pissed.
We have fun on this site with our BEST "   ".  But we really should keep the images we place up on the threads our own work.  We seem to want to be a group that is interested in the laws and working with them.  Then we do things like that that really shoots down the whole image we have been trying to get across in other threads.

Dec 25 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

You are free to post a link to another person's work.  You are not free to cut and paste an image into a thread of anothers.  It falls under the same as photocopying an image out of a book. 
True, you are probably not going to be hauled off to jail for doing so, but it is a violation of copyright.
True, most people on this site probably do not care.
True, most of them that do care can not spend the moeny to battle you in court for doing so.
That does not make it right.
You are breaking the law buy posting an actual image on a thread of anothers work without their permission.
Saying it is done all the time, or that this is what this site is about, or that people don't have the money to go through the legal system to fight you for doing so does not justify it.

I'll make sure I never post any of your work. No problem. Make sure you put some bold text in your port so no one else does either.

Meanwhile, can the rest of us get on with life?

Dec 25 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I have read several threads about copyrights on this site.  Arguements back and forth.
Then I look at the numerous threads about Which MM model has the best breasts; thighs; lips; ect.?  Which is your pick of the day?  And I see people cutting and pasting in images that other photographers have taken. 
Does no one realize that you are in fact violating copyrights when you reproduce an image on a thread of someone elses work, be it cut and paste or not? 
We seem top spend a lot of time fighting as to what is and is not copyright violations, then we go ahead and do it for our own amusement.

I think you misunderstand the laws.  By posting pictures on ModelMayhem, there is a fair use clause that allows you to post here without fear of law suit against Tyler or ModelMayhem.  If someone uses images here on the forum in an editorial manner "check out these itt bitties" etc ... it is considered to be alright.  Now if you want to sue over it, you'd have to sue the person posting your pictures AND prove that you lost money as a result ... right?

Dec 25 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

It's called respect and the law.
But I realize there are those here how do not care about either.

Ok, but what harm or tort is done?  What is the loss to the photographer?  You have to be able to prove this if you are going to sue someone.

Dec 25 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

I think you misunderstand the laws.  By posting pictures on ModelMayhem, there is a fair use clause that allows you to post here without fear of law suit against Tyler or ModelMayhem.  If someone uses images here on the forum in an editorial manner "check out these itt bitties" etc ... it is considered to be alright.  Now if you want to sue over it, you'd have to sue the person posting your pictures AND prove that you lost money as a result ... right?

You are saying that because I would have a hard time in court, it's alright if you violate the law.
Good!

Dec 25 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ed the Healer

Addison, Alabama, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

If I understand what I have read about such matters correctly, there would be a ruling on whether or not infringement took place, then a separate ruling on what damages, if any, were suffered.

Dec 25 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Actually, I am confused by what you are saying.  When you say "cut and paste" from where?

I think what you really mean is that people on this site are hot linking images from this site and posting them in threads.  I don't think that is a copyright violation at all.  There have been cases on the issue of hotlinking, but I don't think we even need to get that far.  They are not reproducing or displaying anything.  They are simply pointing out, through an image hotlink, an image which the photographer chose to upload to this site and display.

I think you would have a real hard time arguing that simply hotlinking, in a thread, to an image on the site, is a copyright violation.

Now if you are suggesting that people are dowloading images from this site, saving it to their own server and then linking to it there, then it is another matter.

Alan, Quite clear and understood! Thanks and Merry Christmas to you!

Dec 25 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

You are saying that because I would have a hard time in court, it's alright if you violate the law.
Good!

No, what you are expressing is not clear. Please further explain which of the copyright violations that are being committed here.  As far as I can see ... no laws are being violated.  But if you can show a tort or violation that is causing a photographer here a loss of income or status as a result of their image(s) being here on the forum ... then let's hear it!  I do NOT support violating laws.

Dec 25 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Ed Goodwin Photography wrote:
If I understand what I have read about such matters correctly, there would be a ruling on whether or not infringement took place, then a separate ruling on what damages, if any, were suffered.

Correct.  There would need to be two rulings. But by signing up here on ModelMayhem, I expect that Tyler had us agree to allow fair use of the images we post. Now for example, if someone attempts to set up a profile here using other photographers images without permission, that is another topic entirely different!

Dec 25 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

*groan*   One More time ,........with feeling.

"Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include —

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors."

Dec 25 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Shadowscape Studio

MARCELL, Minnesota, US

Not true.
You can not reproduce an image.  Period.  I can not photocopy an image or text from a copyrighted book, even if I am going to read it and then throw it in the trash.  I do not have to sell it or try and make money off of it.  I can not duplicate a CD or DVD, even though we do it all the time.  Because we can and we don't get hauled off to jail does not make it legal.
Sorry, not posting to the one above, but to two above me.

Dec 25 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

ive also read articles about hotlinking and im not sure if thats considered infringement or not

maybe if you give the owner credit?

i know i my own personal websites ive disabled the hotlink ability

Dec 25 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Not true.
You can not reproduce an image.  Period.  I can not photocopy an image or text from a copyrighted book, even if I am going to read it and then throw it in the trash.  I do not have to sell it or try and make money off of it.  I can not duplicate a CD or DVD, even though we do it all the time.  Because we can and we don't get hauled off to jail does not make it legal.

But the courts have already said that hotlinking is not copying.  For a member of this site to put a hot link to an image on this page is not copying.  It is really nothing more than a pointer.  It would be very hard for anyone to demonstrate any kind of injury or misue of an image, simply because someone on this site pointed out that the image was on this site. 

If you put something on the web, people are free to share the links to those image, e-mail them to others, send them in an e-mail to others, etc.  That is different than downloading an image and then re-using it.

Remember, the photogrpaher consented to the display of the image when he uploaded it.

Dec 25 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Chili wrote:
ive also read articles about hotlinking and im not sure if thats considered infringement or not

By disabling the ability to hotlink, you have explicitly denied your consent.

Howeve, and more importantly, the images are not being used by a third party, they are merely being displayed for comment within the confines of this site.

That is such a huge stretch to contend that is copying and redisplay.

I can see situations where a third party use of a hotlinked image might be an unauthorized use.  Not, however, within the context of the site on which it is already displayed.

Dec 25 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

i made a parody of this page:

http://www.intercorr.com/roach.htm

which is here:

http://www.lotusimages.com/news/

it raised my internet rank from 1,300,000 to 670,000 for a couple of weeks, it got spread around the world, my stats page showed that i was linked in every continant, japan, israel, vietnam, tons of places in europe and south america..

on one day i had 12,000 hit's on this one article alone, since then i follow my stats page to see who actually does link to me..

it's cool, i caught the landover baptist church using some pics of mine, called them on it in a friendly way, and some guy was actually using a picture by hotlinking

he didnt have the brains to copy it, i edited the picture and wrote

you dumbass, you copied my picture over it, he was gone from his website for a coupe of days, when he came back he had a ton of people making fun of him.. too bad

he let go of his website..

point is, it aint no thing on average, and sometimes it's good publicity, the times that other sites steal your work isnt as great, but you have a better chance of making money in photography suing than you do selling anyways...

Dec 25 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Nobody's work is being posted without pertmission. The images are being linked directly to their MM portfolios so there is nothing illegal or "disrespectful" about the whole deal.

I wish more people would talk about me and post links to my images so I could maybe get some comments on my shots!!!

Dec 25 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
Nobody's work is being posted without pertmission. The images are being linked directly to their MM portfolios so there is nothing illegal or "disrespectful" about the whole deal.

I wish more people would talk about me and post links to my images so I could maybe get some comments on my shots!!!

that's a wild dress...  the one with the super long arms

Dec 25 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Actually you *are* allowed to copy CDs and DVDs for your own archival purposes. That goes for music, movies, images, and software.

Also, a critic can reproduce any of your work in connection with an article or "blog" where he/she is critiquing that work. It's fair use.

Not true.

Dec 25 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

You mean this one? It's by Jennyvi Dizon for a "wearable art" competition here in AZ.
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061101/23/45497e390a48f.jpg

lotusphoto wrote:
that's a wild dress...  the one with the super long arms

Dec 25 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Dec 25 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

I am too lazy to look, but I bet there is something in the terms of service that would allow for images uploaded to the modelmayhem servers.

Dec 25 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I could be wrong, but I very highly doubt that is the way it is legally interpretted...and even moreso, the way anyone would try to argue it legally.

A more apropos metaphor is taking an image from a photography book and showing it to a group of people you have over for a party.

Dec 25 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Also, hotlinking is not a reproduction of an image.

Dec 25 06 09:52 pm Link