Forums > General Industry > Artist on a model site? Models like?

Photographer

jerrell edwards

Richmond, Virginia, US

Hey everyone
Well Ive been looking around and i see a few artist on the site
(https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=272064 Ive worked with a lot)
So Im wondering if models ever contact them to get illustrated versions of themselves?
Ive seen some cool work on here and some of the guys have done work for models so just curious about an artist place on a model site and if the average model would get illustrations of herself done or just photos
have a happy happy and a merry merry
J

Dec 25 06 02:38 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

G'mornin', Jerrell!  Merry Christmas!  Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of working with fellow MMers who sketch, sculpt, bodypaint and the like.  I aim to change that.

Truly, Kathy Jean

Dec 25 06 02:44 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I once responded to a craigslist ad that was placed by a painter. He ended up hiring me, and we work together a few times a year. He's eventually going to have an entire show of paintings for which I was the model (the paintings kinda follow a story line). Cool stuff!

Dec 25 06 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm a painter as well as a photographer... maybe I should start a MM portfolio for my paintings!

Dec 25 06 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

e-string wrote:
I once responded to a craigslist ad that was placed by a painter. He ended up hiring me, and we work together a few times a year. He's eventually going to have an entire show of paintings for which I was the model (the paintings kinda follow a story line). Cool stuff!

That's very cool! I'm trying to get a model I worked with recently to try her hand at art modeling -- I think she'd be awesome at it considering the poses she was coming up with at our photo session. And it was her first time modeling too.

Models rock.

Dec 25 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Dave Wright Photo wrote:
I'm a painter as well as a photographer... maybe I should start a MM portfolio for my paintings!

Sure -- why not? Or at least include a few on the first page of your portfolio. I'm sure people would love to see your work.

Dec 25 06 02:55 am Link

Model

e-string

Pat Thielen wrote:

That's very cool! I'm trying to get a model I worked with recently to try her hand at art modeling -- I think she'd be awesome at it considering the poses she was coming up with at our photo session. And it was her first time modeling too.

Models rock.

YOU rock. Merry Christmas Pat! smile

Dec 25 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

e-string wrote:

YOU rock. Merry Christmas Pat! smile

Hey thanks -- you too! Now go to bed!

wink

Dec 25 06 02:58 am Link

Model

Paul Verite

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

I do more work for painters and sculptures than I do photographers. It's harder work, but I like the vibe much better. Plus painting etc. is much less literal.

Dec 25 06 03:01 am Link

Model

e-string

Pat Thielen wrote:

Hey thanks -- you too! Now go to bed!

wink

I played at 4 church services today, and the last one started at 11pm! I'm unwinding. smile

Dec 25 06 03:04 am Link

Model

e-string

Shyly has some awesome art that was inspired by her

Dec 25 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

e-string wrote:

I played at 4 church services today, and the last one started at 11pm! I'm unwinding. smile

That's intense -- I'll bet you're exhausted but I can understand the need to unwind as well. I just basically sat on my butt all day... Nothing interesting happening over here!

Dec 25 06 03:08 am Link

Model

e-string

Pat Thielen wrote:

That's intense -- I'll bet you're exhausted but I can understand the need to unwind as well. I just basically sat on my butt all day... Nothing interesting happening over here!

Relaxing is good. I'm doing that a lot too. wink

Dec 25 06 03:09 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

well I dont call myself a photographer or an artist but I have created some of my best images working with models from here so it happens...

Dec 25 06 03:10 am Link

Model

e-string

Sorry for the threadjack. I'll go to bed now. big_smile

Dec 25 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

e-string wrote:
Sorry for the threadjack. I'll go to bed now. big_smile

Yeah! Quit your damn thread-jacking! Geez!

wink

Dec 25 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

e-string wrote:

Relaxing is good. I'm doing that a lot too. wink

Yeah, sitting on my ass has really taken it's toll (I was actually playing World of Warcraft, so it doesn't really count for relaxing). Now I'm going to watch some anime I think.

Happy holidaze everyone! And no more threadjacking -- I promise.

Dec 25 06 03:15 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

on location in North carolina a stewartess offered to fly me and the team to virginia if I painted her portrait...Im thinkin about it

Dec 25 06 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

I used to belong to a cooperative gallery and the painters, sculptors, etc would refer to the "artists and photographers" who belonged to the gallery, making it very clear that the latter were not included among the former.  And now I see it here.  Sigh....

Dec 26 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

CreativeWorld

Paramus, New Jersey, US

The bulk of my sales are from oil and acrylic paintings as well as digital artwork.

Dec 26 06 12:07 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

I posed once for a guy who does paintings for the covers of sci-fi/fantasy novels, comic books, video games, etc., and am STOKED to see what the end results will look like. I get to be one of those chicks wearing fur bikinis and holding big swords! Awesome!

I would like to do more work for painters, illustrators, etc. - one of my earliest memories is of a charcoal drawing of my mother when she was a young art model that she used to have hanging in her bedroom.

Dec 26 06 01:18 am Link

Artist/Painter

bijan studio

TARZANA, California, US

I have done few body paintings from models here on MM.
Samples in my portfolio as well as my website.

Dec 26 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Madison, Wisconsin, US

No complaints as of yet.

wink

Dec 26 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

jasontheartist

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

To my expierience everyone says they want to work with an artist but getting them to follow through is a different story.

I do all my sales in the "old style" art forms and started photography as a hobby
.......regreting it so far. I like to at least communicate with others in the same field which is why Im here.

I disagree with most things people say on here typically and the "pros" that verbally whack each other off constantly around these parts are rediculous.

its the same thing day after day it seems any real artistic questions are quickly turned into "who can come up with the witty play on words today"

I wish everyone used this site to the potential and furthered art instead of thier egos

an artist on your photo site,

Jason

Dec 26 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

BCCPDX

Portland, Oregon, US

Catriona wrote:
I posed once for a guy who does paintings for the covers of sci-fi/fantasy novels, comic books, video games, etc., and am STOKED to see what the end results will look like. I get to be one of those chicks wearing fur bikinis and holding big swords! Awesome!

Gosh, Cat -- didn't know you were into the Frazetta thang! We'll have to pile up a few bodies next time.  Makes for uncertain footing, but that's a small price to pay for ART.

Dec 26 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

BCCPDX

Portland, Oregon, US

jasontheartist wrote:
an artist on your photo site,

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. (How do you like my avatar?)

I respect photographers and recognize my own limitations; heck, last time Cat came over, she had to help me figure out the menu on my point-n-shoot.  If MM ever lets us change our titles, I'll switch from "photographer" to "artist" in a heartbeat.

Dec 26 06 09:08 am Link

Model

Paul Verite

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Ivan123 wrote:
I used to belong to a cooperative gallery and the painters, sculptors, etc would refer to the "artists and photographers" who belonged to the gallery, making it very clear that the latter were not included among the former.  And now I see it here.  Sigh....

Unfortunately many photographers are merely technicians. Some very good at it, some not so much. And while having the technical skill and knowledge to create quality work is certainly nothing to sneeze at...it is a separate thing from having an artistic voice. When the two meld is when magic happens.

And for the record Ivan, your work (as well as a couple others who posted in this thread) I would certainly classify as having been created by an artists. smile

This can't be said for a lot of the photographers at MM however.

Dec 26 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I can't even draw a stick figure properly...I'm not kidding...that's why I need a camera...my hands won't do what my brain sees.

Dec 26 06 09:32 am Link

Model

CeeCee71

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I have an artist drawing one of my pics now and another wanting do a painting of me! I think they work for this site well!   Cee Cee

Dec 26 06 04:12 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Art of Vincent Wolff

Wheaton, Illinois, US

jerrell edwards wrote:
Hey everyone
Well Ive been looking around and i see a few artist on the site
(https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=272064 Ive worked with a lot)
So Im wondering if models ever contact them to get illustrated versions of themselves?
Ive seen some cool work on here and some of the guys have done work for models so just curious about an artist place on a model site and if the average model would get illustrations of herself done or just photos
have a happy happy and a merry merry
J

I have a ton of requests from models and photographers to illustrate photos.  Thre are several artists on this site, but we are obvioulsy outnumbered by the very talented photographers.  I'm really looking forward to working with the great MM people who have contacted me to draw portraits.

Dec 26 06 04:23 pm Link

Model

Penny Berlin

Bend, Oregon, US

Dave Wright Photo wrote:

I am a model and and a muralist/painter. Let me know if you do, I would love to see your work!

Dec 26 06 04:29 pm Link