Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Is a person considered a "photographer"
And I'm not aiming for high end fashion, glam type of work....I am not trying to get myself out there or famous.

But I get paid for my work, and I do quiet a bit of it, lately it's just slow due to lack of time and holidays everyones busy.

So when can I stop saying I'm an "aspiring" photographer?

I would just really like to loose the A word in the front there,but I am unsure if I should or not.

Dec 24 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

When your mom thinks so?

Dec 24 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Been published?
Sold anything?
Created a piece that inspired others?
Did someone use your shot to forward their career?

Id say any of those would work.

Dec 24 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

jasontheartist

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Aspiring to do something ends when you actually do it....youre already there.

Dec 24 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Been published?- Only in the paper
Sold anything?-Yes quiet a few times
Created a piece that inspired others?- Yup
Did someone use your shot to forward their career?-A cd cover counts right?

Photographer

Purple Sea Photography

Waukesha, Wisconsin, US

Speaking from experience and having lived in Montana all my life until recently - it happens when you get out of Montana.  Very limited opportunities and narrow, shallow- minded people.  I never went anywhere or did anything with my photography until I moved.  The best thing about Montana and photos are the opportunities for landscapes and nature.

As to the "aspiring" - if you think of yourself as a pro, and market yourself as such, and behave like one - then you are!

Good luck - would love to help you anyway I can!

S

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Purple Sea Enterprises wrote:
Speaking from experience and having lived in Montana all my life until recently - it happens when you get out of Montana.  Very limited opportunities and narrow, shallow- minded people.  I never went anywhere or did anything with my photography until I moved.  The best thing about Montana and photos are the opportunities for landscapes and nature.

As to the "aspiring" - if you think of yourself as a pro, and market yourself as such, and behave like one - then you are!

Good luck - would love to help you anyway I can!

S

I've had a lot of business from here in Billings, but it's not anywhere I want to continue to do my photography. I am hoping to get out of here in a year or two hopefully a year rather than two smile and move on down to colorado, where I was born and raised. Can't really see myself living anywhere else.
Thank you for your feedback.

Dec 24 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Purple Sea Photography

Waukesha, Wisconsin, US

Look us up if you ever get to Phoenix!!  I was born in Colorado as well - love the area - there's a lot of potential there.  I understand what you are saying about not really wanting to continue in Billings - you have an edge I don't think most Montanans are ready for! *L*  You've got a great eye and with the right break, you'll do great!  Keep shooting and stay in touch!  (I may not want to live there, but I still get homesick - I grew up over by Butte!)

Dec 24 06 01:52 am Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

I would consider you a semi pro photographer..  Some of your images look extremely professional.... others look very amateur. I would lose 7-10 (the ones with the pitch fork) it's not because of the prop, but because it look's so unfinished. When you start to see that in images more (whether they look pro or amateur) you become a complete professional. That being said, I would work with ya! lol.

Seriously though, I think that some of the images are great... you just have to really be choosey (is that a word?) about which ones you put in there. The ones I mentioned look like they just came off of a digital camera. I (obviously) am not a professional photographer, so I don't know whether it's a Photoshop issue or an angle/expression issue, but they just don't look "finished" or "professional" to me.

In the end, I would say that you don't call yourself an aspiring photographer, because you are past that point, But, I also wouldn't specify being a professional photographer... I would just call yourself a photographer... and if someone askes...then I would say semi-pro smile

when photographing, pretend you are in NYC or something.... don't worry about if people in your state would like it... do it for you and also do what the fashion world wants to see. If a shoot is TFP/TFCD then do what the model wants, but also what YOU want! Diversify! lol

Dec 24 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Been published? -scientific american, sky and telescope -when i was doing astrophotography for uc berkeley for 4 yrs..

Sold anything? -nope

Created a piece that inspired others? several

Did someone use your shot to forward their career? those guys at the lab are using hubble to measure the expansion of the universe, one of them (george smoot) got a nobel this year

Dec 24 06 01:54 am Link

Model

Jaxxun Tha Th3rd

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
When your mom thinks so?

lol...I Concur!

Dec 24 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Purple Sea Enterprises wrote:
Look us up if you ever get to Phoenix!!  I was born in Colorado as well - love the area - there's a lot of potential there.  I understand what you are saying about not really wanting to continue in Billings - you have an edge I don't think most Montanans are ready for! *L*  You've got a great eye and with the right break, you'll do great!  Keep shooting and stay in touch!  (I may not want to live there, but I still get homesick - I grew up over by Butte!)

Thanks will do!smile Yea some people here have raised an eyebrow or too but overall I'm getting known around the billings area.  I have had a ton of good feedback, which I was at first sorta surprised.
I will miss montana when I leave because it just seems for the most part peaceful and not so high strung living. I've only been to butte once actually, I did my first wedding there.

Dec 24 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

D2 Photography

Denver, Colorado, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
... and move on down to colorado...

When you do, could you please bring some of the lovely tattooed models you seem to have stashed away up there please? Thanks.

You have some fabulous images in your port!

Dec 24 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Leah Rogers wrote:
I would consider you a semi pro photographer..  Some of your images look extremely professional.... others look very amateur. I would lose 7-10 (the ones with the pitch fork) it's not because of the prop, but because it look's so unfinished. When you start to see that in images more (whether they look pro or amateur) you become a complete professional. That being said, I would work with ya! lol.

Seriously though, I think that some of the images are great... you just have to really be choosey (is that a word?) about which ones you put in there. The ones I mentioned look like they just came off of a digital camera. I (obviously) am not a professional photographer, so I don't know whether it's a Photoshop issue or an angle/expression issue, but they just don't look "finished" or "professional" to me.

In the end, I would say that you don't call yourself an aspiring photographer, because you are past that point, But, I also wouldn't specify being a professional photographer... I would just call yourself a photographer... and if someone askes...then I would say semi-pro smile

when photographing, pretend you are in NYC or something.... don't worry about if people in your state would like it... do it for you and also do what the fashion world wants to see. If a shoot is TFP/TFCD then do what the model wants, but also what YOU want! Diversify! lol

Thank you very much, though I can't seem to part with my images hahaha but I do appriciate your feedback. And I'm happy that'd you'd consider working with me.

Dec 24 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

D Drake Photography wrote:

When you do, could you please bring some of the lovely tattooed models you seem to have stashed away up there please? Thanks.

You have some fabulous images in your port!

Thank you:) I would surely bring them if they would allow, my most worked with model brooke who did the smokin in the boys room and a few others up in there she was thinking at one point moving to Denver but hasn't said anything lately.
It's so hard to find people here with that sort of look so I value the ones that I have found.

Dec 24 06 02:09 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Leah Rogers wrote:

Ok, quality has nothing to do with whether you are professional are not.

You've stated that you've been paid and that others have used your work to further their careers, and you take your work seriously... I would say yes, you are a professional photographer. big_smile

Dec 24 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Lamonica wrote:

Ok, quality has nothing to do with whether you are professional are not.

You've stated that you've been paid and that others have used your work to further their careers, and you take your work seriously... I would say yes, you are a professional photographer. big_smile

Thanks, I am going to change my port to just say Photographer.

Dec 24 06 02:12 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

If you have been paid like the quotes above have said.......Oui

Dec 24 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
Is a person considered a "photographer"
And I'm not aiming for high end fashion, glam type of work....I am not trying to get myself out there or famous.

But I get paid for my work, and I do quiet a bit of it, lately it's just slow due to lack of time and holidays everyones busy.

So when can I stop saying I'm an "aspiring" photographer?

I would just really like to loose the A word in the front there,but I am unsure if I should or not.

All of the above and none of the above,it just depends on what you want to call yourself and be damned those that say otherwise.I spent thirthy years or more working full time and part time in photography and I retired ten years ago and could care less about the business end of it now.Does that mean I can no longer call myself a pro or semi-pro?.I am now enjoying it more than ever and doing better work than ever.

Dec 24 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
When your mom thinks so?

If that's when then I'll never be considered one.

Dec 24 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:

All of the above and none of the above,it just depends on what you want to call yourself and be damned those that say otherwise.I spent thirthy years or more working full time and part time in photography and I retired ten years ago and could care less about the business end of it now.Does that mean I can no longer call myself a pro or semi-pro?.I am now enjoying it more than ever and doing better work than ever.

No way you have a fantastic port. I see what your saying by all means, but I am no where near your portfolio. That's when I get discouraged, I was telling D Drake Photography via pm, that I get pretty proud of myself and feel confident then I see some amazingly mind blowing images, and I get discouraged thinking I'm so far from it.
But I also have to take into consideration that people all have different styles. So i shouldn't beat myself up.

Dec 24 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

If that's when then I'll never be considered one.

Sorry to hear that.

Dec 24 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:

Thank you very much, though I can't seem to part with my images hahaha but I do appriciate your feedback. And I'm happy that'd you'd consider working with me.

Well cheers to you for how professionally you responded to this. :-) Your port here is smokin'. I would hang your work on my wall. Call yourself what you want and rock on!

Dec 24 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

for me it was when i learned i had a , following.   i sell images and now have several collecter clubs worldwide.   i sell vintage reproductions and vintage reproduction snapshots.

Dec 24 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Artazia Gallery

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I felt that I became a photographer, rather than someone who takes pictures, when I had people want to buy an image from me. Even though I had several images published in a magazine ( I was sleeping with the editer at the time, she is still my wife), I did not feel I could call myself a photographer until I had several people want my work for themselves. I felt I became a semi-pro photographer after several people, who were not friends, purcahased my work and framed it for their homes. As well has having several people ask me to take their pictures for pay. If I can in the future say that I am a Pro, it will be when I can actually make a real living with a camera. In the pre-digital age that would require knowing how to develope film and process prints to my liking or the liking of a client. If I were 22 years old I might have hope of becoming a Pro, I'm too old to do the hard work involed at my stage in life.

Dec 26 06 07:33 pm Link