Forums > General Industry > Can I be a casual "hobbist" without being a GWC?

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

who is the person or persons who created this acronym GWC? Did a model create it or a photog?

Dec 24 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Dec 24 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Did you mean to say Hobbit?

Signed,

Frodo

Dec 24 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Did you mean to say Hobbit?

Signed,

Frodo

That's a hell of a typo on my part...Jesus, I didn't even notice until now.

Dec 28 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Jeffrey Winner wrote:
Someone who does it as a hobby produces images that are truly artistic, without the feeling of sexuality or being creepy...

I don't think it's necessary to divorce oneself from sexuality when making photographs in order to be legitimate.  Some of the most compelling images out there are deeply sexual without necessarily showing any skin.  Just look at virtually any photograph of Angelina Jolie ever taken.  She reeks of sex without doing anything risque at all.  I'd say you can give yourself a little leeway there.  There's nothing wrong with a little sex appeal.

Dec 28 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

Ransom J wrote:
GWC's shoot with the intent of trying to date/ fuck/ undress and collect spank bank material from their models.  If that's why you shoot you're a GWC, no matter how good or bad your images are.  If not then no matter how good or bad your images are, you are a hobbyist.

"Spank bank" - now that's a new one to me. :-)

Dec 28 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
I'd much rather be a hobbyist than a hobbist, myself. But then I'm a gaddam pedant.

But are you a Mod or a Rocker?

Dec 28 06 12:24 pm Link

Model

Trainer Jo of Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Honey,  GWC (from my knowledge) is just a guy with a camera... not a professional nor a hobbyist. They tend to use that camera to try to pick up pretty women

Dec 28 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

An artist has the prerogative to discover inspiration and themes and pursue them and whether that's girls at the ballet, women in bordellos, or resident on islands doesn't mean twaddle.  The best way to ditch the GWC concept is to be one and make great art while at it.  Of course, being a lout is another thing, and unfortunately that noun's going to hang on in the English lexicon for a long time.

Dec 28 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I have to admit I'm really confused by this whole GWC thing.

1. If you are a professional photographer with lots of published work in prestigious magazines, but you enjoy looking at the women you photograph, are you a GWC?

2. Do you have to not enjoy your work to avoid being labeled a GWC?

3. If you are a famous photographer who ends up dating a model and maybe eventually marrying her, does that make you a GWC?

4. If you are an unknown photographer and you TRY to date a model, and fail, does THAT make you a GWC?

If you answer no to #3, and yes to #4, can you please explain what the difference is?

Dec 28 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

jack4photos

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a serious amateur photographer and have been for at least 40 years.

I hate the term GWC, but I think I know what it means: predator (someone else said it first). I have zero objection to guys chasing women (honestly, who does?) but I do object to them clogging up MM or other channels with offers to models that make the models wary of shooting with me.

So if you are a GWC, go play somewhere else.

Happy New Year,
Jack

Dec 28 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

The acronym seems simpler than its meaning implies (technically, any male photographer is a "Guy With a Camera"), but the standard accepted definition involves someone whose primary reason for shooting is to hopefully score some nookie with the model.

Dec 28 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

wirehead arts

Sunnyvale, California, US

I think that people forget the intended humor inherrent in the GWC term.

I make sure that I make any jokes about my "passion for photographing hot chicks with big boobs" are made around people who get the joke. tongue

Dec 29 06 01:35 pm Link