Forums > General Industry > young photogs.....gen x and y'ers cameras

Photographer

jerrell edwards

Richmond, Virginia, US

so Id made a post a week or so ago and mentioned my age (26) and given replies seems Im considered fairly young for a photog
So is anyone else here a photog under 30 and have many models here worked with 20 yearold photogs?
Any different from working with the older guys (40 and up...noticed i said OLDER not old lol b4 i get hate post)
so far Ive only met 2 photogs in my age range (art students at vcu not included)
also any difference in our style and approach than the older guys
Just wondering
j

Dec 23 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

26 is actually not young...

most art students graduate by 23 and some are pretty successful by the time they are 26 (if they choose to practice their profession).

Dec 23 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

MrE Creations

mcStudio wrote:
26 is actually not young...

most art students graduate by 23 and some are pretty successful by the time they are 26 (if they choose to practice their profession).

Not really. Most successful photographers are well into their 40s and 50s. 26 would be considered a kid.

Dec 23 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

note the word "some"
not "most"

Dec 23 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Kravitz

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I turn 19 in a few days. I started shooting concerts when I was 17. Got into shooting models when I was 18. All of them always say 'Wow, you're so young' when we meet up. I find it amusing. Especially since I look older than I am so they're calling me young for looking 23-24 so the look on their face is great when I'm like 'No, I'm only 18.'

Dec 23 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

JM-Photographics

Tacoma, Washington, US

clonedPhoto wrote:
I turn 19 in a few days. I started shooting concerts when I was 17. Got into shooting models when I was 18. All of them always say 'Wow, you're so young' when we meet up. I find it amusing. Especially since I look older than I am so they're calling me young for looking 23-24 so the look on their face is great when I'm like 'No, I'm only 18.'

sounds like the next Frank Abignale Jr.....

anyone know the reference>?

Dec 23 06 10:17 pm Link

Model

Emmie Levieux

Sacramento, California, US

this guy is only twenty and he is amazing & experienced, one of my faves...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=132112

Dec 23 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

my 3yo has a petri ( similar to a pentax k1000 )  if a 3yo can operate a fully manuel film camera and take pictures , 26 is nothing.   i sold my first print at age 15 it was a picture of a girl.   i was taking pictures of cars at age 5.      the only pictures of me posed with my camera where taken by my 11 year old niece.   really young is 10 or so , by age 26 i owned a 160,000  dollar house and a new pickup.

Dec 23 06 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Kravitz

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Jeffrey Winner wrote:

sounds like the next Frank Abignale Jr.....

anyone know the reference>?

Know the name from Catch Me If You Can. So being a young photographer makes me a con man at a young age, eh?

Dec 23 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

So what if you're 26?

Telling people that you are advanced for your age sounds kind of self absorbed to me.

If your work is good, age is irrelevant. If your work sucks, age is still irrelevant.

Dec 23 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

darkfotoart wrote:
my 3yo has a petri ( similar to a pentax k1000 )  if a 3yo can operate a fully manuel film camera and take pictures , 26 is nothing.   i sold my first print at age 15 it was a picture of a girl.   i was taking pictures of cars at age 5.      the only pictures of me posed with my camera where taken by my 11 year old niece.   really young is 10 or so , by age 26 i owned a 160,000  dollar house and a new pickup.

Oh yeah? Well, I've got pictures of my mother's womb. What do you think of that, huh?  "Taking pictures of cars when you were 5"? Big deal. I was on my third wife by then and had 20 kids.

And... by 26 I had conquered Cuba and cured cancer.

You've got me on the pickup though. I was really on a roll there for a minute. Thought I had you. Damn pickup.

Dec 23 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Serevende Photography wrote:

darkfotoart wrote:

Oh yeah? Well, I've got pictures of my mother's womb. What do you think of that, huh?  "Taking pictures of cars when you were 5"? Big deal. I was on my third wife by then and had 20 kids.

And... by 26 I had conquered Cuba and cured cancer.

You've got me on the pickup though. I was really on a roll there for a minute. Thought I had you. Damn pickup.

https://www.tredwaycomputers.com/Cattle%20in%20pickup.JPG
You know what a pickup like that is full of.....

Dec 24 06 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

I'm 25 and have been shooting for a year. 26 doesn't seem like a young age to be a photographer???

Dec 24 06 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Beach

Charleston, South Carolina, US

27 here, but it never really comes up.

Dec 24 06 03:54 am Link