Forums > General Industry > visible disabilites/differences: missing limbs

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I've noticed that disability, as portrayed by the media, generally only includes those in wheel chairs.  Not always...just most often.  It seems to me, that any actor can sit in a wheel chair, which is why it's the "easy" choice for those feeling they're lacking diversity.  How many people that actually live their lives in wheelchairs are missing out on jobs because they otherwise appear "normal" and someone without disability can sit in for them?

Also, are other disabilities considered unsightly?  If a magazine, commercial, or billboard is trying to show how diverse their clients are, why are there not more people with with missing limbs, spineabifita, cerebral palsy...etc?

I realize that this could be for a few reasons:

*The general public likes to see themselves staring back at them in ads...or people that look better than they could ever hope to look, so they can have something to dream about.

*Many people with visible differences are not comfortable sharing themselves with the world.

*Maybe...because not many with visible disabilites view themselves as models, or as people that can have a place (if even a small one) in "the industry", those choosing to display the disabled have a hard time contracting people with real disabilities and have to hire actors.

I'm starting to ramble, but...

I know it's very important for a model to know his or her body type, his or her capabilities.  Someone who is 5'2'' probably won't be hitting the run-way anytime soon, but where do I fit in? 

What type of client would be interested in hiring me?  I know I need to market myself, and not just wait for people to approach me with a project...but who do I approach?

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Sincerely,
Laurel Lea 

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060808/18/44d923fc7ccaf.jpg

Dec 22 06 12:40 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Los Angeles, California, US

Laurel darling!  You're so amazing, I hope you get all the answers you're looking for, and that this thread helps push you closer to getting into what you've been seeing me do for the past year and a half we've known each other.

To all reading this, Laurel is a freaking star!  She is one of the most fun, animated, sarcastic, interesting, adorable people I know!

Dec 22 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I've admired you since you first joined.

IMO, you make an excellent art model.

Edit: You should be more active in the forums and make your presence known. I'm willing to bet if you marketed yourself a little you would have more requests to shoot than you could possibly handle.

Dec 22 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

My experience here is woefully limited, for which I apologize. The only thing I can offer here is to share this absolutely astonishing image and hope that it inspires you as well: https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=185389. Hugs, Renee

Dec 22 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

You have a new fan here. As someone who is disabled to an extent(born with spina bifida and basically living on 33 years bonus time) I admire those who do not let their disabilities stop them from doing what they want.

I would be honored to have you in front of my lens any time!
I actually have been looking for models with missing limbs for an art project which one venue I would like to display the images in would be medical offices, especially those that deal with amputees,etc.

Dec 22 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Star

others have made it happen, you just have to find a niche

https://www.geocities.com/~mitchlongley/photos/mlongley.jpg

Dec 22 06 12:50 am Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

for sure. i am always open for doing shoots. it is hard to break through in anything normal, but being more than abnormal, its almost as if people expect you to just but out. i am feeling the love!

Dec 22 06 01:02 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Laurel Lea wrote:
for sure. i am always open for doing shoots. it is hard to break through in anything normal, but being more than abnormal, its almost as if people expect you to just but out. i am feeling the love!

Embrace the fact you don't look like everyone else. Your look is what makes you so desirable to photographers. Accept it. smile

Dec 22 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Damn email limit. I have only done 3 emails tonight and now I cant do anymore. Laurel I was trying to message you with a couple of my ideas. Perhaps tomorrow sad

Dec 22 06 01:08 am Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

tomorrow works.

Dec 22 06 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Laurel Lea wrote:
tomorrow works.

Or drop me a note. I can respond to emails. Just can`t initiate a new message until the time limit is up,lol. I think you might like the idea

Dec 22 06 01:19 am Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Primal Lens wrote:

Or drop me a note. I can respond to emails. Just can`t initiate a new message until the time limit is up,lol. I think you might like the idea

message sent

Dec 22 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Davis Images

Tampa, Florida, US

And don't forget that there is a market for disabled people in the adult business.

To wit:

gimpsgonewild.com

Dec 22 06 01:25 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Davis Images wrote:
And don't forget that there is a market for disabled people in the adult business.

To wit:

gimpsgonewild.com

Um...I don't like the term "gimp".  Maybe I'm alone here?  I don't think so.

Dec 22 06 01:27 am Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

lol...gimp. thats not a very nice word, its pretty embarassing if you ask me. its sexy in no way. but hey, thanks for the info.

Dec 22 06 01:32 am Link

Model

S. Stark

Laurel Lea wrote:
lol...gimp. thats not a very nice word. nor is it sexy in ay way. but hey, thanks for the info.

haha.  you're right...definitely not sexy.

Dec 22 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I'm working on a project which is all about what you're asking.  Drop me an email sometime.

christian

Dec 22 06 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Davis Images

Tampa, Florida, US

Laurel Lea wrote:
lol...gimp. thats not a very nice word, its pretty embarassing if you ask me. its sexy in no way. but hey, thanks for the info.

Yeah, I didn't name the website.......the owners themselves are disabled, so maybe that's their way of coping. Great photos by the way.

Dec 22 06 01:36 am Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Davis Images wrote:

Yeah, I didn't name the website.......the owners themselves are disabled, so maybe that's their way of coping. Great photos by the way.

\
Thanks!!
☻

Dec 22 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

In answer to the questions asked…
People tend to be uncomfortable around persons with marked disabilities or disfigurement. I believe this is because most people don’t have any idea how they should react… should they pity the person, should they not pity the person, are they staring, is it rude to stare, should they get the door for the woman with no arms, should they not get the door for the woman with no arms… people can be funny.
As far as I have seen mainstream clients really are not into diversity they would prefer an idealized view of average beautiful… the actual message is if you buy our product you will be like this… (I could be wrong about this, the person to ask is TXPhotog MM# 106035 He may be old and he may be grouchy but he knows what he is talking about.)
Who is your target client… if you haven’t noticed, every art photographer who sees you and knows that you want to model, myself included. Now put those toes to work and let us all know you are here.

Now before anyone says anything about my response…
This woman knows she has no arms and is well aware of how many other people have no arms.
Yes, it is rude to stare but… see above
If you look at this woman and pity her because she has no arms; you may be assured that she is looking at you and pitying you because you have no brains.
If you would hold a door for a woman with a baby in one arm and a pizza in the other hand then you should hold the door for a woman with no arms.
Any questions…

Dec 22 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Here's a potentially relevant thread:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=93466

Dec 22 06 02:13 am Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

NewBoldPhoto wrote:
In answer to the questions asked…
People tend to be uncomfortable around persons with marked disabilities or disfigurement. I believe this is because most people don’t have any idea how they should react… should they pity the person, should they not pity the person, are they staring, is it rude to stare, should they get the door for the woman with no arms, should they not get the door for the woman with no arms… people can be funny.
As far as I have seen mainstream clients really are not into diversity they would prefer an idealized view of average beautiful… the actual message is if you buy our product you will be like this… (I could be wrong about this, the person to ask is TXPhotog MM# 106035 He may be old and he may be grouchy but he knows what he is talking about.)
Who is your target client… if you haven’t noticed, every art photographer who sees you and knows that you want to model, myself included. Now put those toes to work and let us all know you are here.

Now before anyone says anything about my response…
This woman knows she has no arms and is well aware of how many other people have no arms.
Yes, it is rude to stare but… see above
If you look at this woman and pity her because she has no arms; you may be assured that she is looking at you and pitying you because you have no brains.
If you would hold a door for a woman with a baby in one arm and a pizza in the other hand then you should hold the door for a woman with no arms.
Any questions…

you are dead on my friend.

Dec 22 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I want to shoot.  Ill email you with soon.

Dec 22 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

I'd love to work with you.
Anytime you're in DC, Philly, or NYC, let me know, I'm 6 blocks off of I-95.
Keep on modeling.

Dec 22 06 05:55 pm Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

^bump^

Dec 22 06 09:25 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

this is the most awesome image ever

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=588992

kudos to you and every blessing

you inspire me
do you use voice computer system?

Dec 22 06 09:32 pm Link

Model

jenjenjen

Palo Alto, California, US

Laurel- Wow what a great thread you started!!! smile You are a very inspiring beautiful model!! smile I wish you nothing but the best!!! smile

Dec 22 06 09:36 pm Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Anjel Britt wrote:
this is the most awesome image ever

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=588992

kudos to you and every blessing

you inspire me
do you use voice computer system?

i use my toes for everything.

Dec 22 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Laurel, I admire what you are doing and the way you are handling it.  I wish I had better news for you.

As mentioned above, most commercial advertising is about "aspirational" people -those who "look like me, only better".  Great differences from "like me" (or like the stereoptype of the role being portrayed) tend to not be used.  Commercial work is all about stereotypes.

I don't see any significant amount of commercial work for a model with no arms.  The mere fact of difference to that degree would distract from the message of the advertiser, unless that kind of difference were part of his message.  Those things do come up, but not all that often.  If I were you, I'd visit (not send pictures to) some talent agencies - not model agencies.  Talent agencies have a much broader window of acceptance for different physical types, and are more likely to get a call from an advertiser looking for someone like you.

As far as art modeling goes, it's all a matter of fitting the vision of the artist (or art photographer).  You fall into that special category where few people will have an idea for armless models rattling around in their heads, just looking to be expressed - so you need to find and work with those who have the creativity and vision to see ways in which you could be used.  There are quite a few of those out there . . . .

Dec 22 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

I will agree that before about 1am on the 22nd of December 2006, the idea of shooting an armless model had never entered my thoughts, apparently because, I had never seen an armless model before, but I have ideas now.
If you want to work the NYC/Philly area, send me a message, we will work something out.

Dec 23 06 12:16 am Link

Model

Alex N

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

My voice control isn't the greatest tonight, so my apologies if this is a less than great response.

The media's portrayal of people with disabilities is lacking to say the least.  More often than not those rare times we do see a disabled person they're portrayed by an abled bodied person. While can be upsetting, I think what disturbs me even more is that it helps to reinforce any negative associations people may have regarding handicaps.  I'm quadriplegic and have foster siblings with all sorts of disabilities; while some people dismiss it as silly, one of the things I want most is to see the media provide positive role models for them and anyone growing up / living with a disability.

I'm not sure what the best market for you is.  I'd think you should try for whatever you want; understanding there are going to be a few reasonable limitations.

Also I just wanted to add, if the opportunity ever arose I'd love to work with you.

Dec 23 06 12:25 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

YOU ARE AMAZING!

I have seen you around the site before. Honestly, I didn't notice you didn't have arms. I know that sounds strange. I thought in some of your photos, it was how you were posed.

If I were a photographer, I would shoot you. I have some many ideas in my head, what could be done. I see you being a sucessful art model.

You are really pretty. You have a flawless face, and a great figure!!!

I actually, sent my uncle who is handicaped an email with your link. I have a feeling you will make him feel very moved. Since, he had issues with his handicap. He had suffered from depression for years. You will prove to him, he can do what anyone else does. I think he often doubts himself. He says, he never feels apart of the group.

I also had a friend growing up, who had one leg that was long and another that was shorter. Many people treated him like he was slow mentally. But he had a genius IQ. He often felt out of place. He only liked being around his close friends, because we didn't treat him different.

You need to submit your photos, and try to become a commerial model. I am so behind you! I feel you, would up lift a lot of handicap people who feel low on themselves. I feel sometimes, the world is now so PC. People treat handicaped people like they are helpless. At least this is my experience with a friend and family member.

Dec 23 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

Davis Images

Tampa, Florida, US

This might interest some people. In the movie "13 Ghosts", The effect for "The Torso" was achieved by the use of a double amputee who lost his legs wearing a black hood that could be used to digitally remove his head.

Dec 23 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Shandra wrote:

Um...I don't like the term "gimp".  Maybe I'm alone here?  I don't think so.

Shandra, you are most definitely NOT alone in your feelings about that word.

Dec 23 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Davis Images wrote:
This might interest some people. In the movie "13 Ghosts", The effect for "The Torso" was achieved by the use of a double amputee who lost his legs wearing a black hood that could be used to digitally remove his head.

Thats so cool.

I do also find it interesting that more physically disabled people are appearing in films and childrens shows. People in wheelchairs are playing more supporting roles than I have see before. Also...maybe I just havent noticed before but midgets or shorter peopple are becomming more accepted in roles other than clowns and sidewhow attractions. This to me is encouraging.

Dec 23 06 10:57 pm Link

Model

Laurel Lea

Madison, Wisconsin, US

happy xmas eve!

Dec 24 06 11:07 am Link