Forums > General Industry > B-Movie sci-fi theme shoots.

Photographer

JDR Imagery

Laurel Springs, New Jersey, US

Has anyone done theme shots based on old time B-movie sci-fi / horror Genres?

Giant spiders, radioactive ants, laboratories with very large electric bills... that sorta thing.

The more cheesy the better.

If so.. where did you get your props?

Dec 21 06 11:23 pm Link

Model

ElisAbEtH

Charleston, West Virginia, US

would love to do this btw-
no one shoots that stuff around here but one photographer and he's awesome and i'm going to shoot with him again after the holidays- still waiting on my photoshopped cd though but it's only been less then a week big_smile

Dec 21 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

The Manchester Studio

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

not so much scifi as fantasy. I am starting a new series using backgrounds made in bryce and extras in poser and compositing real life on top.

Dec 22 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

SIXEIGHTSTUDIOS

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks for the awesome idea !

Dec 22 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Creative Outlet Images

Walnut Creek, California, US

I had the same idea a while back.  I mainly just did more of the movie poster style with a lot of photoshop work..

https://farm1.static.flickr.com/117/296834556_153e7f4d61.jpg

Dec 22 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/jfrancis/CastingCall/GG_CastingCall.jpg

I have mine made, or I make them myself.

(This shoot is now cast, btw, shooting Jan 20)

Dec 22 06 02:42 am Link

Model

Princess Kitty

Boston, Georgia, US

I agree it's such a wonderful idea....It makes me want to don a curly blond wig and run away from imaginary things...in thought bubbles...

Dec 22 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

JDR Imagery

Hey digital artform... how much ya want for the rocket pack???... cause my car sprung a leak last week, and well, traffic around here can be a hassle.

Dec 22 06 02:47 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

JDR Imagery wrote:
Hey digital artform... how much ya want for the rocket pack???... cause my car sprung a leak last week, and well, traffic around here can be a hassle.

The problem is getting clearance to use it in a busy airspace like New Jersey. We have to go out to The Mojave to really fire it up and even then we are not allowed to take it supersonic.

Dec 22 06 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Star

Dec 22 06 03:03 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

I've had some ideas in my head for sometime, but props are the issue. SO much that is done is done with minimal investment of time and/or money and it almost always shows. I want to do it right, but it will be a while...just too much work to get it right.

Dec 22 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

Tony KnightHawk Studios

Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US

I have a lot what you are looking for. HUGE  Telsa type workings as well as hospital gear, fire suit / radiation suit / dungeon equipment, coffins, smoke machine,etc. I was special effects artist for Vampyre Theater here in NYC.  I will be in Vegas till Jan 9 but I am local to Jersey City. My number is on my avatar feel free to give me a call then or send me an e-mail.

Tony KnightHawk

Dec 22 06 03:22 am Link

Photographer

TestShoot

Beverly Hills, California, US

there are about 5 standing sets here in LA of space ships, hallways etc that have been in indie/showtime caliber films complete with props.

Dec 22 06 03:31 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have an ongoing project which I simply refer to as the "Mad Scientist" project which involves nefarious goings-on, helpless damsels, and ultratech gadgetry. I love it. smile

I *made* all the props. They include acrylic shackles (made with a laser cutter,) chains which are lit from the inside, a Diabolical Device which is made from machined acrylic rod and glows green, and a multitude of sensors which light up and interface to a portable computer. It's hella fun and any interested models are welcome to contact me. smile

I've also done concept shoots with vampires stalking, killing, and disposing of helpless victims which were very much inspired by B (or maybe C) low-budget horror. For those all you need are some fangs (I use fitted prosthetics, although not custom-made - I get 'em from vampfangs.com,) some fake blood, and some clothes you don't mind writing off.

M

Dec 22 06 10:35 am Link

Model

Paul Verite

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

I love this stuff!

I'm also a MST3K fan.

Dec 22 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

TestShoot wrote:
there are about 5 standing sets here in LA of space ships, hallways etc that have been in indie/showtime caliber films complete with props.

Where??

Dec 22 06 01:06 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I would love to do more of these!
The axe murderess photos in my port were a modern version of Joan Crawford's movie Strait-Jacket.
I would like to do more extremes of the genre though.I shot something on Wednesday that Im dying to get back so I can put it up in my port.

Dec 22 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

We're doing a classic horror movie shoot tomorrow...if we hear back from the model tonight...**fingers crossed**

We're going to try for cool instead of cheesy so we'll be doing an identifiable scene but "monsterless" unfortunately...unless you count the beastly looking thing behind the camera...

Dec 22 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

JDR Imagery

BlackWatch.. let me know when they are up.. Id love to see.

Dec 22 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

When I get to my new studio in February... I'm already planning coming up with a Mad Scientist Labratory set up... including a table to strap down the poor damsels-in-distress.  Bwa hah hah!

Meanwhile, I do have a shot of Minxen (MM 56307) in my portfolio where she's been blended into a 1940s comic book cover:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1800049

Link only because the photo of her is 18+ for the shot, even if the original image was intended for kids...

Dec 23 06 01:27 am Link

Model

Ashley Jaime

Did one based on the movie Switchblade Sisters. It is in the new issue of Missbehave magazine. I haven't seen it yet though.

Dec 23 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Ixlagor

London, England, United Kingdom

JDR Imagery wrote:
Has anyone done theme shots based on old time B-movie sci-fi / horror Genres?

Giant spiders, radioactive ants, laboratories with very large electric bills... that sorta thing.

The more cheesy the better.

If so.. where did you get your props?

What a great idea, I've been looking at some of Bob Carlos Clarke's montages from the 80's and wanted do do something similar, but in my own style and so being a bad sci-fi fan this could be a new project.

Dec 23 06 11:54 am Link

Model

the Crow

Binghamton, New York, US

that stuff all sounds very cool !  I would love to be the scientist or a vampire.  I love that suff !!!
infact im going to FL late Jan to be one of the bloodied victims in a horror movie "100 Tears" about a homicidal Clown !

Dec 23 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Octavio of winkytiki.com had a neat sci-fi themed pic.  His site is down for upgrades but you can get the idea of the pic from this article:
http://eros-ezine.com/articles/2004-12-14/octavio/

-James

Dec 23 06 12:32 pm Link