Forums > General Industry > drunk models

Photographer

studio_14

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm curious. Im particular to Australian law. What are the legalities involved in getting model releases from intoxificated models. (Mind you, I am mostly after the letter of law rather than opinions but I will take both.)

Obviously this is from an experience tonight with a rather unscrupulous photographer getting nude photos from dancers in such a fashion. Not from any desire to do such myself.

?

Dec 21 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

R A Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

I'm going to go with the personal belief here: I won't work with models if they have been drinking prior to the shoot. They should know to come to the shoot clean and sober, and ready to work. I don't all drinking during the shoot, either. It's just not professional. What they want to do on their own time is their choice, but when they are on my time, they are on my rules.

Dec 21 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

BeccaAnnPhotoGal wrote:
I'm going to go with the personal belief here: I won't work with models if they have been drinking prior to the shoot. They should know to come to the shoot clean and sober, and ready to work. I don't all drinking during the shoot, either. It's just not professional. What they want to do on their own time is their choice, but when they are on my time, they are on my rules.

I agree - mostly - I had one occassion where an extraordinarily nervous first time model doing nude figures asked for a bottle of wine. I didn't mind and I still don't mind some modest consumption on my sets. (I suppose that comes from working in Europe - at one company, we had wine/cheese served most afternoons. Things may have changed; that was WAY back in '82 in Strausbourg....)

At any rate, my only issue with a drunken model happened on that one accission mentioned above. And, by definition, it wasn't really an issue. What happend was, my wife was assisting me that shoot, and she and the model hit it off pretty well. My wife opens another bottle and the two of them chatter away and get quite toasty over the course of the afternoon. It was quite funny actually - and two of my best selling prints came from that session!

But to the OP: I think that in most legal systems around the world, contracts signed under the influence of any drug or alchohol are invalid once that fact is revealed and/or proven.

That said, I must state I am not an attorney - I have more noble aspirations wink

FWIW -

Dec 21 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

studio_14 wrote:
What are the legalities involved in getting model releases from intoxificated models.

If they are too drunk to write, you can get a fingerprint and have them scrawl a big "X". If they're too drunk to do that, you can substitute a face-print. "Here, put your cheek in this paint for a second..."

(PS - joking)

Dec 21 06 08:29 am Link