Forums > General Industry > an epidemic of bashful persons

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

So the other day I was using the browse function and came across a profile of a MUA that I would really like to work with. I wrote her in a near fever yelling her how amazing her work is and how I would love to work with her. I hey an email back saying.... Its about damn time....

Apparently she had seen my portfolio a few years back and had wanted to work with me since that initial view. I asked her why she hadn't contacted me, she said that she was too shy.

Okay so you're shy, but isn't it worth contacting someone you want to work with and have them say no thanks, than to just hope that they will are your work and want to work with you some day... At least you're being proactive....

If you want to work with someone tell them... Don't be bashful, it gets you nothing.

Dec 20 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

can I come to your and eat your Holiday dinner and drink your beer and put my feet on your furniture ?

Dec 20 06 07:18 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

ravens laughter wrote:
So the other day I was using the browse function and came across a profile of a MUA that I would really like to work with. I wrote her in a near fever yelling her how amazing her work is and how I would love to work with her. I hey an email back saying.... Its about damn time....

Apparently she had seen my portfolio a few years back and had wanted to work with me since that initial view. I asked her why she hadn't contacted me, she said that she was too shy.

Okay so you're shy, but isn't it worth contacting someone you want to work with and have them say no thanks, than to just hope that they will are your work and want to work with you some day... At least you're being proactive....

If you want to work with someone tell them... Don't be bashful, it gets you nothing.

I have to admit I have done and still do do this sometimes.

Mind you saying that, out of the photographers I have contacted after the inital "omg I cant mail them, what if they BWAHAHAHAHA loudly and let off a stream of abuse and laughter in email" feelings were gotten over and I mailled them, I ended up working with(or have  definate future shoots planned)with over 90% of them.

Dec 20 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

ravens laughter wrote:

Yes.  But some people are mean sad

Dec 20 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

fortune favors the bold

Dec 20 06 07:22 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Milli wrote:

Yes.  But some people are mean sad

Put it this way.
If they ARE mean in their reply to you are they then the sort of person you would really wish to work with anyway?

Dec 20 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

You would not believe the people I'm hesitating to contact. It's not so much because of my ability as a Photographer, but I haven't done a REAL shoot (just a couple here and there of non pros I know) since July of 2005. This is because I have been in and out of hospitals having surgeries and what have you. Besides, (and I know this is no excuse) this wheelchair thing still has me a little wierded out.

I have told myself that 01/01/07 is going to be the start of a new me though. So out with the bashfulness and in with some great Photography work. I have had a few models contact me, so I have no choice... big_smile

Dec 20 06 07:28 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

if I were shy I would've never contacted Eyeworks to have my first shoot.When he emailed me back with a yes I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Dec 20 06 07:30 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

ravens laughter wrote:

I'd have never approached you if you hadn't said you wanted to work with me.  *shrug*

sometimes it's not worth it to find out the people you think are amazing think you suck, so you just don't ask.

Dec 21 06 01:50 am Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Sirensong wrote:

Put it this way.
If they ARE mean in their reply to you are they then the sort of person you would really wish to work with anyway?

probably not.

Dec 21 06 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Guilty as charged.

Dec 21 06 01:57 am Link

Model

StacyJack

Nihilus wrote:
Guilty as charged.

go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Dec 21 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's a few models that won't have any contact with me.
I'd like to say it's because they're shy.
But it's really because I'm an untalented sonnuvabisch.

Dec 21 06 03:00 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dubble post.

Dec 21 06 03:00 am Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
There's a few models that won't have any contact with me.
I'd like to say it's because they're shy.
But it's really because I'm an untalented sonnuvabisch.

don't call yourself that! yikes

Dec 21 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I'm too shy to contact me but once in a while I leave myself a message or note! I think our work is so good I find it intimidating!

Dec 21 06 07:14 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

There was a time when I was like that, but I'm over it now.  I figure if they say no I'll be in the same boat I'm in now, so I might as well try, there's not actually anything to lose.

And I'm going to have an outrageous story to prove that in spades shortly.  Stay tuned.

Dec 21 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

...Stacy wrote:
go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

https://www.tipmra.com/new_tipmra/images/card_ani.gif
smile

Of course, at this rate...I'm just going to end up back there.

Dec 21 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm honored by any model that shows an interest in working with me.

Dec 21 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
I'm honored by any model that shows an interest in working with me.

That's beautiful Michael. It's good to see others that feel the same as I.

Dec 21 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Shyly wrote:
...I figure if they say no I'll be in the same boat I'm in now, so I might as well try, there's not actually anything to lose...

That's a great way to think about it. I think you just gave me my new philosophy. Thanks!

Dec 21 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

That must be why my inbox is empty :-(

I may look like Shrek but I'm not an ogre.

Dec 21 06 10:52 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ya know come to think of it I suppose i am,.... with fashion photographers ..... because my height is not what they are used to shooting... funny I guess, but i feel of value to art photographers , or people whom do more than fashion. I am less shy with people that shoot for the sake of art.

Dec 21 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Kruppaworks

...Stacy wrote:
sometimes it's not worth it to find out the people you think are amazing think you suck, so you just don't ask.

I would hope that anyone you think is amazing (i.e. someone talented and hard working) wouldn't say "you suck" to anyone else.  I know amongst models and artists there can often be an "attitude," but I think if you're concentrated on the WORK and really polishing your skills, there doesn't need to be any of that. 

That being said, it is really astounding how some people have so little sense of how to conduct themselves.  Still, I say take a chance.  You never know what can happen.

Jason

Dec 21 06 11:05 am Link