Forums > General Industry > Models - would this be a problem?

Photographer

Soft Medium

Richmond, Virginia, US

I consider myself to be an artisit.  My equipment is only what I need to achieve the shots I desire.  So here's my question.  A model whom I had been discussing shooting with back and forth for about a week asked what kind of lighting I had because of the location we were going to be shooting at, an abandoned warehouse.  I explained that I would be working this potetial shoot with what light was naturally available and possibly candles.  Maybe I shouldn't have but I went on to explain that the only lighting I use is a set of cheap bulds, in specific a 100w flourecent and a blue flood light.  To my surprise she never responded.  My assumption is that this made me sound like a GWC, but she had reviewed my work or at least I hope she had since we had been talking for a while about working together.  I expected my work would speak for itself and I wouldn't be judged by my equipment. 

So that is what I'm asking models out there.  Would you decide not to work with a photographer based on his equipment if his work was satisfactory?

Care to review my work?  Visit www.softmedium.com.  For the record I now also use a shop light with black light bulbs, not that sounds any more impressive.

Dec 20 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

Hacked Account

Houston, Alaska, US

Soft Medium wrote:
I consider myself to be an artisit.  My equipment is only what I need to achieve the shots I desire.  So here's my question.  A model whom I had been discussing shooting with back and forth for about a week asked what kind of lighting I had because of the location we were going to be shooting at, an abandoned warehouse.  I explained that I would be working this potetial shoot with what light was naturally available and possibly candles.  Maybe I shouldn't have but I went on to explain that the only lighting I use is a set of cheap bulds, in specific a 100w flourecent and a blue flood light.  To my surprise she never responded.  My assumption is that this made me sound like a GWC, but she had reviewed my work or at least I hope she had since we had been talking for a while about working together.  I expected my work would speak for itself and I wouldn't be judged by my equipment. 

So that is what I'm asking models out there.  Would you decide not to work with a photographer based on his equipment if his work was satisfactory?

Care to review my work?  Visit www.softmedium.com.  For the record I now also use a shop light with black light bulbs, not that sounds any more impressive.

I have worked with a lot of photographers, and some had top of the line equipment and some had the most boogleg rigged stuff you could possibly imagine....... as long as you get what you want out of a shot.... don't worry about anyones opinion..... some of the bootleg stuff has come out amazing and i would work with any idea .... you never know until you try right?.......j

Dec 20 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Did you explain the reason behind using that specific light?  (And is the reason that you can't afford or don't know how to use other lights?  If so, that will influence your answer...)

Also keep in mind that people drifting away is fairly common, even while in the midst of scheduling something.

Dec 20 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Soft Medium wrote:

Nope. I work with photographers with zero to multiple lights.

Dec 20 06 02:19 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Lights would never bother me. Especially if you're paying me... it doesn't matter what your lights look like if the end result for me is green.

At any rate, the only light that I really don't care to shoot with would be an on camera flash.... that to me pretty much lands you in the doomed GWC category. Well, let me put it this way, I have not met any photographers yet that shoot with an on camera flash that don't fall into the category of GWC. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but they haven't gotten in touch yet!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about explaining what types of light you're going to use. Leaving it at natural light is good enough. And I'd be willing to bet that its not the lights that scared her off. If it was, then she just saved you the effort of dealing with some sort of a diva later... you should thank her smile

Dec 20 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Huynh Studios

Sacramento, California, US

never let the models say anything. most of the time they have no clue what they say. be assertive. you the photographer, you're the boss of the shoot.

Dec 20 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Soft Medium

Richmond, Virginia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Did you explain the reason behind using that specific light?  (And is the reason that you can't afford or don't know how to use other lights?  If so, that will influence your answer...)

Yea, we had discussed the lighting problem.  In this case there wouldn't be power available in the building.  I suppose I could afford the lighting if I felt I needed it.  I haven't bothered to even check into how much "pro" lighting would cost.  I've been happy working with what I have.

Dec 20 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

Rosalya Naomi

Grove City, Ohio, US

If I was in the model's place, I would not be scared off by that.  Of course I guess I"m open minded to the fact that you can get good shots with just natural lighting... Sometimes even better shots.  Another words, I don't know why she didn't respond.  It seems like she missed a good chance to get pictures smile

Mandy

Dec 20 06 02:45 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Soft Medium wrote:

Some of the best photographers I've worked with use only natural light. Some of the worst photography I've seen uses only natural light.

It's all about how you use what you're given.

It's the same with if you hire a great model. if you suck, the pictures will too. It's how you use it.

Dec 20 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Perhaps it was the abandoned warehouse and the candles that scared her off. Perhaps it was a safety concern that made her back off of shooting with you.

Having said that, in all my years of shooting I have never had a model ask me what kind of lighting I would be using.

Dec 20 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tip Van Nguyen

Port Orchard, Washington, US

Soft Medium wrote:

dude, shes retarded if she doesnt shoot with you because of that. Whatever gets the shot. Not everyone can afford or uses thousand dollar lighting equipment, and when they do they usually shoot agency models.

Dec 20 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Hecates_illusion

Columbus, Ohio, US

Equipment does not make the photographer. If you suck and you spend $8000 on equipment you are still going to suck. I shoot with an outdated dslr in natural light. But hey I like my work and so do the models I work with so screw those that are snooby about it. Maybe if they wanted to pay you could afford the equipment to please them lol.

Dec 20 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Stans Digital Photos

Lovington, New Mexico, US

One of the better known photographers is Andy McFarland from Florida. All he uses
is his camera and natural light. Interesting reading as to how he works. So, use
what is comfortable to you.

Dec 20 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

jchadwick

Cartersville, Georgia, US

Wouldn't be bothered in the least.  I love natural light and candles. 
Some people are just flakey, end of story.

Dec 20 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I use everything from strobes to hot lights to natural light......as long as the photos are good who cares...if you have a model that does care....move on. I read in one profile here on MM that the model would only work with photographers who had a digital slr 8mp or higher....NO EXCEPTIONS!!!! I also read one that insisted on getting a list of the equipment the photographer used (so she could run it by her photographer freind to make sure you were not a joke) Those made me laugh a lot. Especially the one that said 8mp or higher. Guess she never saw the beauty in film....lol

Dec 20 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

R A Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

I don't have that much equipment yet either, but haven't had anyone turn down a shoot with me because of that. Granted, I'm just beginning, but at the moment, I'm already getting a full shoot schedule (which I like). If your work is good, then that will speak for you. If a model turns you down simply because of a lack of equipment, then she's probably a diva and you wouldn't want to work with her anyway.

BTW: I use natural light, and yes, I even use the on-camera flash at the moment. I am waiting until after the New Year to get my lighting equipment and a new cart. I know my work isn't the greatest, but I hope it doesn't suck eggs either...

Dec 20 06 04:11 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

She is more then likely inexperenced. I have been shot by candle light, sun light, professional lighting equitment, and the set up you have. Most of the time it is the skill of the photographer that matters.

I have never been shot with just a flash. Funny point someone else made.

I wouldn't let that bother me. Find other models.

Dec 20 06 04:11 pm Link

Model

UNDERTOW

Columbus, Ohio, US

that would not bother me!
I take photos as well the shots are what you make of them my camera is ganaric but it does what it should dont worry about it. It is your art you dont need the super set up to be great !

Dec 20 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

NC17 wrote:
At any rate, the only light that I really don't care to shoot with would be an on camera flash.... that to me pretty much lands you in the doomed GWC category. Well, let me put it this way, I have not met any photographers yet that shoot with an on camera flash that don't fall into the category of GWC. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but they haven't gotten in touch yet!

This was done with on camera flash.....just trying to make the point that you can make a nice photo with anything
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061107/12/4550d2ee93b30.jpg

Dec 20 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

Jinx1313

Emeryville, California, US

That's lame, sorry that happened to you.  I wouldn't refuse to shoot b/c of that.  One of my most favorite photogs to shoot with has the craziest rig (I won't give away his secret) but I was surprised when I saw it!  I also recently did a shoot in a dark area only using flashlights and some background fire and from what I've seen they seem to have come out pretty well, it definitely gave off the mood we were looking for.

Dec 20 06 04:21 pm Link

Model

FelaD

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

I would never ask about the lighting a photographer will use on a shoot. I see his work, if I like it I go for it.

Dec 20 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Anderson Artwork

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Thomas B wrote:

This was done with on camera flash.....just trying to make the point that you can make a nice photo with anything
https://img5.modelmayhem.com/061107/12/4550d2ee93b30.jpg

Damn Fine Work

Dec 20 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

i work with a photog who uses some make shift lighting out of simple lights and tin foil reflectors and you know what the pics always look amazing and get rave reviews, its all in the photogs skills, not the amount of money they dish out for lights.

Dec 20 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

It ain't what you got ,it's what you do with it that matters,period.You do however need a few more shots that show you can do the more traditional type of photos models are looking for in your portfolio.She is no doubt a beginner and looking for that type as well as the edgy artistic style you are trying for.

Dec 20 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans Photography

Houston, Alaska, US

Knowing what you are doing as a photographer matters more than the gear you have.  However, do not under estimate the importance of professional gear and how it is preceived by those who are ignorant to the photographic process.

Dec 20 06 06:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Los Angeles, California, US

Soft Medium wrote:

Honestly I would not care one bit. She should have checked out what you have done so far and judge the quality of your work that way. Not what you would be working with...

BUT first impressions do stick to people... Unless you explained why you would be using that type of equipment, she might have found it weird

Oh well that's just me...

Dec 20 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

Ms Jennifer Denise

Seattle, Washington, US

It doesn't matter what kind of lighting they use if the final product comes out the way we both want it.

Dec 20 06 07:08 pm Link