Forums > General Industry > directing models

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I verbally direct them as much as possible but I often just get in the pose I want the model to do.  I must look pretty funny doing it but it gets me the results I want.

Dec 20 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

billi

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

i think the best thing to do is try to get "inside" of your shot...

who is the girl in front of the camera?
what does she think about?
what soes she do in her spare time?

think of it as directing a scene in a movie, except it's a still. you have to let the model know what her "charcter" is?

is she the heiress?
the seductress?
the timid girl?
the tramp?

once you tell the model that before you shoot it not only makes her comfortable because she's informed but... it makes you comfortable as well because you've had a conversation with her. after that then just keep sight of what you had told her to begin with... make sure she is always that "character" in the shot... meaning...

would "that" girl sit that way or would she sit this way?
would she be expressive with her arms or not?

these are just a few things and of course... practice practice practice... if you're taking a snap shot of your folks this holiday season... tell them to do something specific so that you direct someone with out pressure of wrecking the whole shoot and without pressure of it being a stranger you're telling to arch her back.

lastly, always remember that you are in charge... half of being a good director is being a good captain!

peace homie,
jose angel berrios

Dec 20 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Daniela V wrote:

Step 1: Hire a model that doesn't need direction.

Step 2: Shoot.

If you're looking for something particular...then communicate that to the model BEFORE and DURING the shoot.

Fucking right.  That's the biggest pet peeve I have with models.  Showing up and not knowing what the fuck to do.  It's like, I brought the lights, the camera, had the idea, bought the props and location, sometimes provide wardrobe, have a MUA on hand and you want me to fucking POSE you too???  Fuckouttahere!!!

Dec 20 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Ransom J wrote:

Fucking right.  That's the biggest pet peeve I have with models.  Showing up and not knowing what the fuck to do.  It's like, I brought the lights, the camera, had the idea, bought the props and location, sometimes provide wardrobe, have a MUA on hand and you want me to fucking POSE you too???  Fuckouttahere!!!

That's so sexy when you talk like that wink

Dec 20 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Ransom J wrote:

so thats why all those topless girls in thongs keep showing up in my studio.

Dec 20 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

posing a model is easy.   try being a portrait photographer and posing a 4yo girl with her 1 week old sister.    or even more fun a mentally challenged person in a wheel chair in a group family photo.

Dec 20 06 08:05 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

I think the thing that helps me the most is when the photographer has a key emotion or concept in mind.  If i'm given what type of sad or to what extent they want me to be pissed off in a pic or whatever it helps me "roleplay" the photograph. 

Could always try that.

~Samantha

Dec 20 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Samantha Grace wrote:
Work with a model who knows how to pose.

Then tell her, to move maybe more to her left or right.
Look up, look down, look at the camera, look away to your right or left.
Move your arm up,arch your back.
It helps when she knows left and right.

It's really not hard at all. If she has a good camera sense.

It also helps when the photographer knows their left from right too smile

It doesn't matter how you communicate, the point is that you do so consistantly.

I once shot with a photographer and he asked me to move "back." So I did. "No, no, move back" So I did again. (slightly more frustrated voice) "No, not there, back" So I tried again. "No, I mean go back where you were." Why didn't you say that in the first place?

Be conscious that what you are saying and what you mean are the same thing. If the model is having trouble following your direction, it would be a good thing to examine what you are doing and try to find out how you can improve.

Dec 20 06 08:32 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

NC17 wrote:

It also helps when the photographer knows their left from right too smile

It doesn't matter how you communicate, the point is that you do so consistantly.

I once shot with a photographer and he asked me to move "back." So I did. "No, no, move back" So I did again. (slightly more frustrated voice) "No, not there, back" So I tried again. "No, I mean go back where you were." Why didn't you say that in the first place?

Be conscious that what you are saying and what you mean are the same thing. If the model is having trouble following your direction, it would be a good thing to examine what you are doing and try to find out how you can improve.

Good point, so far everyone I have worked with knows left from right. I was making a joke about working with a model who knows left from right. I have moved to the photographers left, rather then my left. I thought I was being smart.

Dec 21 06 01:36 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Samantha Grace wrote:
Good point, so far everyone I have worked with knows left from right. I was making a joke about working with a model who knows left from right. I have moved to the photographers left, rather then my left. I thought I was being smart.

You? Smart? never! Oh, I'm sorry, I'm the dumb blonde.

Dec 21 06 01:46 am Link