Forums > General Industry > Help How do you get a good agent?

Model

Shannon Phillips

Hermosa Beach, California, US

Ive gone to tons of open calls for agencies, and they always tell me the same thing. Your very pretty, but not high fashion, you need to find a more commercial agency. So then I go to a more of a commercial modeling agency and there not interested. Why do I have photographers and designers interested, but I cant find an agent? It doesnt make sense. Any advice would help!

Dec 19 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The answer is to keep trying and don't get discouraged.  I have no idea if you will ever be signed or you might be signed tomorrow.  There are a thousand reasons why a agency will want you and just as many why they won't.  The truth is that you have little or no control over any of those factors.   It can be something as simple as the fact that you look similar to someone they already have.

Whether you succeed or fail, it is not, necessarily a reflection upon you.  So my advice is to keep trying and in the meantime look to other sources of work and satisfaction as a model. 

Also, I think as you shoot more, you may build your confidence, which is always a good thing.

Dec 19 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

If you have a photographer interested in you (or designer) have them call one of these agencies to "book" you.  You'll see how quickly the agency will want to represent you.  OK, so it's a little BS but it'll work. 
Seriously, keep trying.  Often agencies will need to see new photos/ a new look on someone before they take them.  Hope it works out for you!

A

Dec 22 06 10:53 pm Link