Forums > Critique > If I were to do a Compcard..........

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Hi all,

If I were to do a compcard, which photos would YOU choose (if any). Most of you have been extremely helpful to me and I would appreciate your honesty. Perhaps you may recall some other shots I had on my page and may want to include those (if you can leave a general description of the photo you liked).

Thanks,

Steph

Jul 07 05 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

It depends on what type of model you want to be and who you will be sending it too as one comp will not work for every situation or market. (ie. fashion, catalog, commercial, actress) - these are your main choices. I would say that you should focus on commercial and acting based on your look.

Jul 07 05 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Fred Brown: 
It depends on what type of model you want to be and who you will be sending it too as one comp will not work for every situation or market. (ie. fashion, catalog, commercial, actress) - these are your main choices. I would say that you should focus on commercial and acting based on your look.

I second that.

Jul 07 05 03:32 pm Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Fred Brown: 

I second that.

XtremeArtist and Fred Brown:

And I third that.LOL! I forgot to mention that on my post. I know that based on my height I can't do fashion although I've been able to do several fashion shows. So, the rest of the list would apply to me. I go to several casting calls and I usually just take a headshot so I've been thinking of doing a compcard to leave behind.

Thanks a bunch for replying and looking forward to your suggestions.

steph

Jul 07 05 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Others might have their own view, but I think you need some lifestyle shots. Photos that look like you are doing something and the photographer caught you in the moment without you being aware of it.

You need to be an actess playing a character. I need to believe the character.

Right now if you asked me what character you are playing, I would say model having her photo taken. In all of your shots, you are aware of the camera. You are trying to look good and strike a pose. At least that is they way they look.

Now it's time to take your modeling to the next step and make viewers think you are happy to see two children playing, or worried to cross the street because of heavy traffic, or calm and peaceful in a secluded garden...

A few images like that along with a nice head shot and good body shot will go a long way.

Jul 07 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Others might have their own view, but I think you need some lifestyle shots. Photos that look like you are doing something and the photographer caught you in the moment without you being aware of it.

Right now if you asked me what character you are playing, I would say model having her photo taken. In all of your shots, you are aware of the camera. You are trying to look good and strike a pose. At least that is they way they look.

Now it's time to take your modeling to the next step and make viewers think you are happy to see two children playing, or worried to cross the street because of heavy traffic, or calm and peaceful in a secluded garden...

A few images like that along with a nice head shot and good body shot will go a long way.

...let's see, it's already been seconded and third(ed) so I fourth that - lol

Jul 07 05 04:59 pm Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Thanks so much for your GREAT advice!! Well appreciated. I some of those shots saved and will place them on my page so you can tell me if I am on the right track.

thanks again.

steph

Jul 07 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I think the closest you have to what I'd put on a comp so far, is your "just me".
But, I strongly agree with the editorial/lifestyle suggestion. I'd fill out your comp with editorial images where you're not posing or engaging the camera so much.

John

Jul 07 05 05:35 pm Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by John Allan: 
I think the closest you have to what I'd put on a comp so far, is your "just me".
But, I strongly agree with the editorial/lifestyle suggestion. I'd fill out your comp with editorial images where you're not posing or engaging the camera so much.

John

Thanks for your comments. I just posted 3 shots. Tell me what you think.

Steph

Jul 07 05 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by newhall243: 

Posted by John Allan: 

John

Steph

Ok..you have to sell the shot. Make me believe it. Some photographers will bring more out of some models than others...

In "Dancing" I don't really get the feeling of dance from you as much as I do in "hold it" and "black and white." Even though neither shows motion, they show a line that implies dance, and I can tell that you would look good dancing. However, in Dancing your body and pose is vvery symmetrical, so there isn't much motion or direction...

Ignore the iPod style silhouette of the model in this shot I found on the internet, but notice how the idea of dancing and motion are captured here. It's not just the hair, it's also the pose:

https://www.laudienne.com/images/lj/layouts/ipod/header.png

Jul 07 05 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by newhall243: 

Posted by John Allan: 

John

Steph

Editorial is the way I will shoot you when we do our location shoot... so... that's covered... sometimes between now and five years... meaning when we finally find time to shoot together... LOL

But seriously... hope we can shoot next week!

Jul 07 05 08:29 pm Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 

Posted by newhall243: 

Posted by John Allan: 

John

Steph

Editorial is the way I will shoot you when we do our location shoot... so... that's covered... sometimes between now and five years... meaning when we finally find time to shoot together... LOL

But seriously... hope we can shoot next week!

that sounds great Udo!! looking forward to it....... the sooner, the better.....LOL

steph

Jul 08 05 02:39 pm Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

XtremeArtist,

that is really cool. how can i post photos on here? Thanks for the advice and comments.

steph

Jul 08 05 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by newhall243: 
XtremeArtist,

that is really cool. how can i post photos on here? Thanks for the advice and comments.

steph

My pleasure.

If the image is hosted on the web already, you can post it like this:

[ img ]http://www.url.com/image.jpg[ /img ]

without the spaces in the [brackets].

Jul 08 05 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Honestly, only the headshot on the bottom left.

You have a really nice look, but just need a more polished photographer to give you cleaner photos. You should have a range of looks on your card, but they all need to be clean and explicative of your looks.

Jul 08 05 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I have a little different take on this whole comp card thing; why do you need one?

The first thing to do is submit to agencies a few good shots that show a beautiful smile and teeth...I harp on that but it is extremely important.

Then submit to more agencies.  Submit, submit, submit.

Upon acceptance they will flip your book for the right shots for a comp.  The developed comp will be highly targeted and submitted to clients they work with. 

Let the agency be your guide for a comp...they have a better idea of your best direction.  Until that time, simply send out quality headshots or refer prospects to your web links.  A comp at this point in time is a waste of money.

Jul 08 05 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by area291: 
I have a little different take on this whole comp card thing; why do you need one?

The first thing to do is submit to agencies a few good shots that show a beautiful smile and teeth...I harp on that but it is extremely important.

Upon acceptance they will flip your book for the right shots for a comp.  The developed comp will be highly targeted and submitted to clients they work with. 

Let the agency be your guide for a comp...they have a better idea of your best direction.  Until that time, simply send out quality headshots or refer prospects to your web links.  A comp at this point in time is a waste of money.

That's good advice, but beware that a few good shots can cost more to print than a single compcard.

Jul 08 05 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I agree, X.

But a bad comp can cost more in work lost (particularly the cheap looking comps coming out of the quick-print-comp-shop stores), or worse, be thrown to File 13 where the investment made is literally thrown away.

One wrong shot can ruin a comp.  Bad design can ruin a comp and worse is not knowing the right stats to place; hint:  weight is not a stat, shoe size is.

As with other areas of this biz, such as utilizing a MUA, versatility in imaging that shows range, a comp is a professional statement used primarily to attract clients.  When the statement is anything less than razor sharp it can be easily discarded by those seeking to work with the professional best.

Perception is reality, image is everything...only one chance to make a first impression...geesh, I just thought of a new thread topic...worn out cliches'!

Jul 08 05 07:47 pm Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by Brian Kim: 
Honestly, only the headshot on the bottom left.

You have a really nice look, but just need a more polished photographer to give you cleaner photos. You should have a range of looks on your card, but they all need to be clean and explicative of your looks.

Thanks Mr. Kim for your reply! I really like that one as well. I'm still trying to work with other photographers and will do so shortly.

steph

Jul 10 05 10:08 am Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by area291: 

Hi!!

Thanks so much for your input. There's no dire need of a comp card right now but I just wanted to have an idea of what I should be looking for to put in one. I've seen many of them which I like. So, is it better to send a photo with a big smile or one as I have on my page. If so, which one would you prefer to see if you were an agent? And, how much is too much photos to send? Does size matters? My mother and I usually send out 2 or 3, either 5x7 or 8x10. Is that okay? Since school is out and my schedule is a little bit less hectic we are planning on pounding the pavement and search for commercial type agencies.  Wish me luck! LOL

Many thanks,
steph

Jul 10 05 10:22 am Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by newhall243: 
XtremeArtist,

steph

My pleasure.

Sorry, but where do I post the link. Just inside the post box? and then the image will appear?

thanks,
steph

Jul 10 05 10:24 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by newhall243: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by newhall243: 
XtremeArtist,

steph

My pleasure.

Sorry, but where do I post the link. Just inside the post box? and then the image will appear?

thanks,
steph

Replace http://www.url.com/image.jpg with the address for the image you want and remove the spaces in the brackets.

Jul 10 05 10:32 am Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by newhall243: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by newhall243: 
XtremeArtist,

steph

My pleasure.

thanks,
steph

Replace http://www.url.com/image.jpg with the address for the image you want and remove the spaces in the brackets.

thanks againX.A!! smile)

Jul 12 05 09:35 am Link