Forums > Critique > is this stuff disturbing?

Photographer

ryan widger

Detroit, Alabama, US

my girlfriend told me she is fed up with my work...well and me too, but thats besides the point. she calls it relentlessly creepy...

what do you think

www.ryanwidger.com

Jul 06 05 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

She is too uptight...especially after looking at your port...

Jul 06 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Elizabeth Zusev

Seattle, Washington, US

I'd call it haunting.  I'd also call it elegant and intriguing.  I LIKE it.

Jul 06 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

Hell yes it's disturbing, but what's wrong with that?  Of course, you could give up the creepy stuff and just put a bikini on your girlfriend and pose her on the beach with her boobs & butt stuck out....

Seriously, your work. creepiness & all, is a relief from the sameness of too many photographers' portfolios.  Keep it up.

Jul 06 05 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It's not that disturbing at 300 pixels, but at 4 feet, I'm sure it's very different.

But creepy or not, it's damn good.

Jul 06 05 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

ryan widger

Detroit, Alabama, US

thanks now i'll have her read these!

Jul 06 05 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Dude... when in doubt, DUMP THE BITCH... I do it all the time... freakin sleezeballs think they can cramp your creative style... dropkick the opinionated hobag to the curb... I think it's cause I love to watch them cry... ;O... NEXT!

Jul 06 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Select Models: 
Dude... when in doubt, DUMP THE BITCH... I do it all the time... freakin sleezeballs think they can cramp your creative style... dropkick the opinionated hobag to the curb... I think it's cause I love to watch them cry... ;O... NEXT!

Thanks for the impression of Dear Abby on Schlitz Malt Liquor. wink

Jul 06 05 11:46 pm Link

Model

Valerie Rose

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Your work is beautiful. Maybe your gf is an extremly jealous person and expects you to give her all of your attetion... that is probably why she is telling you your work is weird. My bf says that to me.. only cus he is jealous and dosnt want me shooting with photographers. I tell him.... tough. Good luck.

Jul 06 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by ryan widger: 
my girlfriend told me she is fed up with my work...well and me too, but thats besides the point. she calls it relentlessly creepy...

what do you think

www.ryanwidger.com

Well, I looked at it, but then my phone just rang, and some chic voice said "7 days". What's up with that?!

*g*

Nice, haunting work.

Jul 06 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

...just thank her and send her on her way...then just keep doing what you obviously love doing....

Jul 06 05 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

I think your work is fascinating.  That's the price of being creative in a world of mediocrity, not everyone is going to understand.  But you wouldn't be happy following the sheep.

Jul 07 05 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
Well, I looked at it, but then my phone just rang, and some chic voice said "7 days". What's up with that?!

As a rule, I don't use "lol" but I must say that when I read this I laughed out loud.

Jul 07 05 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Select Models: 

Thanks for the impression of Dear Abby on Schlitz Malt Liquor. wink

Schlitz Malt Liquor?!?!?!?!... ewwwwwww!... dude, that shit is SERIOUS piss water... you need to step up... try a MIMOSA for breakfast... now there's a class act!... but DONT order one for the bitch... LOL!

Jul 07 05 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I think anything or one that takes away from your artistic endevor is not a good thing for your ability or confidence
in 20 years what will be the result of this !

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by ryan widger: 

what do you think

www.ryanwidger.com

*g*

Nice, haunting work.

Im not gettin offline dial-up no way !!
that stuff gives me the willies!!

Jul 07 05 12:25 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Hm, I think it's time you found a new girlfriend

Jul 07 05 01:27 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
Well, I looked at it (portfolio), but then my phone just rang, and some chic voice said "7 days". What's up with that?!

As a rule, I don't use "lol" but I must say that when I read this I laughed out loud.

Dammit. What's up with all this water drippin out of my monitor?!

Jul 07 05 01:36 am Link

Photographer

ryan widger

Detroit, Alabama, US

aww thats rough!

Jul 07 05 02:50 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by ryan widger: 
aww thats rough!

Ryan, did you watch the movie? The Ring? If you didn't, check it out. Some of your images reminds me of a segment in the movie where they do a brilliant job of presenting something like a dark vision, or an omen, etc. My joking around was actually a compliment. Lol.  Your stuff is pretty dark. You should try putting them together in the same fashion as the segment in the movie with some eerie music in the background. That will totally freak out your girl. wink

Jul 07 05 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

admit it, you have no girlfriend....

Jul 07 05 03:54 am Link

Model

Chaotika

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

i love spooky, dark stuff like this! Gorgeous work!!! When does your coffee table book come out, now? I'd like one, please smile

Jul 07 05 06:10 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

You have wonderful haunting imagery and the only voice you should listen to is your own. Part of being an artist is passing words of others as just that, it's your own heart that needs to be spoken to. Trust me 28yrs in the business my Mum still ask me when will I get a real job....matters not that I have photographed celebrities...Presidents of the USA or been traveling the world.

Jul 07 05 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
Well, I looked at it (portfolio), but then my phone just rang, and some chic voice said "7 days". What's up with that?!

YIKES! .. I'm switching to dial-up so the phone doesn't ring!

Jul 07 05 06:24 am Link

Model

Chaotika

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Doug Harvey: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

YIKES! .. I'm switching to dial-up so the phone doesn't ring!

lmao!

Jul 07 05 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Dump her.  Right now.  She dosen't love you.  She dosen't even like you or respect you.  Anyone who would try to dissuade an artist from pursuing their goals can't possibly know what love or commitment mean.  Trust me, I've been where you are right now.  The sooner you get away from her the better.  I hope you let her read this so she can see what an negative, grasping, small-minded energy vampire she really is...not that she cares what I think -- after all she dosen't even care what YOU think.

Jul 07 05 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by BarryH: 
Hell yes it's disturbing, but what's wrong with that?  Of course, you could give up the creepy stuff and just put a bikini on your girlfriend and pose her on the beach with her boobs & butt stuck out....

Seriously, your work. creepiness & all, is a relief from the sameness of too many photographers' portfolios.  Keep it up.

I'd be interested in knowing what your girlfriend thinks of all of the goth/vamp/fetish weirdness that so many twentysomething females seem so obsessed with.  Your work is surrealistic, ethereal, and thought provoking.  You should definitely keep it up and get another girlfriend.

Jul 07 05 06:51 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

OK! In defense of girlfriend, you have to remember Michigan is a very conservative state and west michigan values is such that.....trust me I grew up in Grand Rapids, MI....holy Roller city of Michigan , where there is a church on every corner.

Jul 07 05 06:56 am Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Ryan, I looked at the photos you have here at MM.  There qualify as different, unique, and a little dark.  I dodn't find them to be disturbing.  (Maybe if I went to your website . . .)

I think the g/f has other issues!

Charlie

Jul 07 05 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Posted by ryan widger: 

what do you think

www.ryanwidger.com

keep your good work...change girlfriend. smile T

Jul 07 05 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Cool stuff,  but not sure if I would want to live with the images.

Do you display them in the house?   There are images that I make that I do not even like to look at much or display in my house.   Or should I say I have living room images,  bedroom images,  images just for the basement and images only to be shown in galleries not for normal viewing.   

She might be effected in her subconcious and she is started to feel it infecting her waking life.   We need to differentiate between dreams and reality.

Jul 07 05 07:29 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
Cool stuff,  but not sure if I would want to live with the images.

Do you display them in the house?   There are images that I make that I do not even like to look at much or display in my house.   Or should I say I have living room images,  bedroom images,  images just for the basement and images only to be shown in galleries not for normal viewing.   

She might be effected in her subconcious and she is started to feel it infecting her waking life.   We need to differentiate between dreams and reality.

Hmmm...this is true.

Jul 07 05 09:17 am Link

Model

Chaotika

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

you serious? I'd have a huge framed print of one in my living room if i could!!! lol

Jul 07 05 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I think your work is fascinating. It has a consistency that argues you've obviously got some inner vision of the world that you're exploring. Is it too downbeat? Too grey? It's art! It's your art! Nobody else can say that; they can either like it or not like it.

Me, I like it. I'd buy a print. Really.

mjr.

Jul 07 05 07:23 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i like it

its def disturbing, and possibly creepy to some...but its also good, creative and elegant and interesting

the key word here is RELENTLESSLY

all lives and relationships (even work) need balance

If this approach sultrifies everything...or if it is all you do, you might just want to look at what positive supportive people or activties you have
and develop these

just a thought

i like the work a lot

good luck with next woman!

is this an outles

Jul 08 05 09:40 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i like it

its def disturbing, and possibly creepy to some...but its also good, creative and elegant and interesting

the key word here is RELENTLESSLY

all lives and relationships (even work) need balance

If this approach sultrifies everything...or if it is all you do, you might just want to look at what positive supportive people or activities you have
and develop these? just a thought

i like the work a lot ... good luck with next woman!

ps
Consider, is this an outlet - or does it make you focus more on disturbing things!?

Jul 08 05 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Dude, you KNOW your stuff rocks.  And you know its disturbing in some ways, and you like it.

And yes, it does remind me of the Ring alot.

Now, tell us, is your girlfriend just a dramatic device for the thread, or does she really hate your work?

Jul 08 05 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

D.T.B.

Jul 08 05 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Dunoff

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

sorry, find a new girlfriend.

Jul 08 05 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The very first image in Ryan Widger's port is the one that says so much about the rich contrast that can be sometimes found here. Compare that image of the man in a kitche with his hand in his mouth with a full colour image (I don't recall if it is a model's or a photographer's avatar) of a person on their back on a kitchen floor with pots and pans all over the place and on the person's body and face(?).

For me the only "disturbing" factor of these images (which if they deserve any justice should be seen as fine matted prints on a gallery wall) is that they are square. Even the Greeks understood the role of gravity in squares so the perfect Greek square was slightly taller.

Jul 08 05 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by alexwh: 
For me the only "disturbing" factor of these images (which if they deserve any justice should be seen as fine matted prints on a gallery wall) is that they are square. Even the Greeks understood the role of gravity in squares so the perfect Greek square was slightly taller.

And I thought you didn't have a sense of humor...my mistake.

Jul 08 05 12:56 pm Link