Forums > Newbie Forum > Unique Aspiring Model

Model

IvyLupine

North Plainfield, New Jersey, US

Hi! I'm very new to modeling and very new to mm smile
So far I love it and the people here are lovely, truly excited to be possibly working with other creatives. My portfolio is a little rusty but I'm going to keep updating.

Anyways just saying hi and excited to be here!

Feb 27 17 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

Feb 27 17 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

KristinTphotography

GRANADA HILLS, California, US

Hi! Welcome to MM! I really like your style and your portfolio smile

Feb 28 17 05:02 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Love your style!  Welcome to Model Mayhem smile

Mar 01 17 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Welcome, Taylor!

Your profile says you’re curious about a number of genres (including nudes). I would encourage you to post your questions in the forum – in this thread or, probably better, to start another thread of threads.

There are a lot of smart models and photographers here, who shoot (and can write about any genre imaginable), and you can get a variety of different viewpoints and thoughts – if we know what your questions are.

One thing I will mention, regarding your buzz haircut (and your use of the word “unique”). There was a talented model (in Brooklyn, as I recall) who made a good living for years as a traveling bald female nude model, until she apparently got tired of being bald and let her hair grow out. Because we were in different parts of the country, we never got to shoot.

There is now another in the Houston area, and I believe I’ve seen another bald model’s portfolio fairly recently.

Shooting a bald female model is something that has intrigued me, since I first saw the portfolio of one.

Many nude models with “no experience” list rates of $100/hour, which is the same rate that many of the best and most experienced nude models have. While I have another profile for fashion and other clothed work, I’ve never had to pay for a non-nude shoot – and most of my nude shoots have been for trade as well.

Obviously, when I decide to pay a model, and the choice is between a very experienced model and a newbie, both of whom have the same rates, I’m going to go with the more experienced model.

Even if the new model’s hourly rate is half the experienced model’s rate, I’d go with the more experienced model.

The last time I paid a (very experienced) model (who, coincidentally, uses Ivy as part of her modeling name), I got 10 high-quality photos for my three portfolios – and 7 contest winners – in a two-hour shoot.

I have never come close to that with a new model, no matter what the length of the shoot. I can direct a new model’s pose, but typically it takes several adjustments to get that pose just right. I’d guess that it takes 50-100 nude shoots, before a model can hit one dramatic and graceful pose after another.

My typical shoot is 4-6 hours (and 1-2 days, if the model is crossing multiple state lines to get here for a shoot) and includes a variety of genres and concepts. Most models don’t want to several states for a trade shoot that will only last for a few hours.

Being bald is something that would make you – well, unique – and that could be a big advantage when competing with other models.

Just something to think about…

Regarding tattoos, something else you said you’re curious about, a small number of small tattoos isn’t always a big deal. But I know quite a few photographers who will not shoot artistic nudes, glamour, fashion and a number of other genres with heavily-inked models.

Some consider Ink a genre unto itself and, if you decide to go in that direction, you will probably find yourself specializing in that genre, to some extent.

Good luck!

Mar 01 17 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Welcome to MM

Mar 01 17 03:44 pm Link