Forums > Newbie Forum > New to the modelling scene

Model

LexyLee

Bessemer, Alabama, US

Hi my name is Alexandria and I decided to try my hand at being a model.Usually I'm behind the camera so I don't believe I'm completely lost to this.

I do have a question. Jus made an account and messaged a photographer ,that sent me a friend request, to get an opinion on things, and all  in all he told me I wasn't charismatic like most models .....I'm a bit stumped ,thought charismatic had to do with your personality ...mind you i only exhange two sentences with him.

I wasn't sure If I should take offense. Wouldn't mind a second option lol

how to appear more charismatic in photos?I guess

Sep 16 16 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

LexyLee wrote:
Hi my name is Alexandria and I decided to try my hand at being a model.Usually I'm behind the camera so I don't believe I'm completely lost to this.

I do have a question. Jus made an account and messaged a photographer ,that sent me a friend request, to get an opinion on things, and all  in all he told me I wasn't charismatic like most models .....I'm a bit stumped ,thought charismatic had to do with your personality ...mind you i only exhange two sentences with him.

I wasn't sure If I should take offense. Wouldn't mind a second option lol

how to appear more charismatic in photos?I guess

Ok let me see if I got this straight. A photographer sent you a friend request and then you sent him a message, asking for his opinion about you?

Yes by definition charisma can show in photos, although that's not a word I hear commonly associated with modeling anymore. The photographer probably doesn't feel any emotion when looking at your images. Nothing thought provoking. I'm just guessing.

1. "compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others."

I don't think you should be offended if you asked for his feedback.

You can put a post in one of these forums and ask for critique. It can get harsh in there but remember, if you're asking for critique, then it never pays to get defensive about what's said.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/8
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/74

We aren't allowed to critique in here.
Cheers!

Sep 16 16 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello and Welcome to MM. Forums. smile

Personally, I feel a photographer should be trying to encourage you and help you develop your confidence, then your natural charisma will come through.

Anyway, don't worry about it, just try to arrange some shoots and enjoy your modelling.

Good Luck to You! smile

Sep 16 16 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mary Durante Youtt

Barnegat, New Jersey, US

Charisma makes a world of difference in a photograph.  You can have all the right poses but if the model does not connect, then all is lost.  If you are going for a sultry look both body language and eyes must exude the feeling.  It comes from within and for some it comes naturally, for others it has to be practiced. 

No, you should not be offended especially when asking for opinions.  Every one has to start somewhere, seek advice, learn and grow from it. 

Welcome to MM

Sep 17 16 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Welcome to the Mayhem hienvy

Life is too short to deal which such matters. Let it be like water on a duck's back.

New Model Info

Sep 17 16 04:54 pm Link

Model

LexyLee

Bessemer, Alabama, US

Thanks guys .Well to clarify I didn't ask him about myself .The convo led there when I said I was doing TF and he told me that most photographers would mainly contact me for nudes and asked why was that ,which led there....

But yeah i'll try to not be offended ... I realize it will be hard for someone with low self esteem to be a model lol #workinprogress for me

Sep 18 16 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Welcome LexyLee.

Don't be offended, LexyLee. It is only his one opinion. That is why official polls use many people. He has unfairly based it on only the 3 of your 4 photos that actually show your face & body language. As suggested above, through an image, models can express emotion and make a connection with the viewer through the camera. The model's expressions and matching body language can send that emotion or connection right through the camera to the viewer. As mentioned, those things can be practiced, and that can help. But they may also be affected, or impeded, by the interaction, (or lack of it) with the photographer. If you are relaxed or nervous, happy or nervous, comfortable or uneasy, the camera sees it all. That can be the result of where your head is at at the time, but also if the photographer does not make you comfortable.

I find that, by building a comfort & rapport with models, putting them at ease with my attitude, manner and light conversation, and explaining the shots & what I want from each, it goes more smoothly. I certainly don't judge by just one or two sentences. You should also not base everything on minimal unhelpful feedback of just that one photographer. Try to also develop that comfort with the photographer. If you can practice projecting & portraying expressions and emotions in front of a mirror daily, that will also give you tools to apply to individual shots, as discussed with the photographer. In some case, rather than look at the camera, try to look through the camera. The camera will see those things, and send them through to the viewer.

Sep 19 16 05:26 am Link

Model

LexyLee

Bessemer, Alabama, US

Thank you the advice helped a lot. I was a bit lost to what he said but I think you guys put into perspective. I have no experience really on how my body works or to express emotion in my photos but I will b practicing smile

Sep 19 16 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Flex Photography wrote:
I find that, by building a comfort & rapport with models, putting them at ease with my attitude, manner and light conversation, and explaining the shots & what I want from each, it goes more smoothly.

This is true. Also, as time goes on, you'll be more selective with which shots to add to your portfolio. You'll start to weed out shots that look forced or stiff, and only add those that speak to the viewer. We all become emotionally attached to our own images, so sometimes it's best to have a friend give their opinion. My wife is a good sounding board for me. She looks past the technical and feels the image.

If you cover your mouth in the mirror, your eyes should be able to convey emotion all on their own. Work on natural convincing expressions. Speaking generally and not about any specific work in your port. Cheers!

Sep 19 16 03:43 pm Link

Model

LexyLee

Bessemer, Alabama, US

Lol thanks I will . these are great advices

Sep 20 16 08:21 am Link