Forums > Newbie Forum > New makeup artist in NC

Makeup Artist

bonniecreadick

Durham, North Carolina, US

Hi everyone! My profile was just approved. I recently graduated Cosmetology school and have my temporary license until I get my full license next month. I'm in Durham NC and I'm concerned it will be hard to get work as it doesn't seem to be very active around here. Any tips on building my portfolio or any other tips you have for people new-ish to the industry?

Jul 16 16 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

bonniecreadick wrote:
...Any tips on building my portfolio or any other tips you have for people new-ish to the industry?

Please consider assisting other established makeup artist in your market... Especially wedding/bridal in as that is likely the most lucrative assignments you'll find in your local market...

Food for thought... Find Mayhem photographers in your market and offer to do creative tests with them... That way you can build a book which you'll need to attract commercial prospects... Please keep in mind that "Clean Beauty" is what the lion's share of clients are seeking... Wild avant garde over the top makeup will not likely get you hired for paid work...

Best advice is to search for the top Bridal Artist in your market... Try Wedding Wire or similar sites... Study their books and marketing techniques... There is no arguing with success... 

Finally try searching through the Stylist Forum here on Mayhem especially for posts dating back several years when some of the industry's top pros were still on Mayhem... Sadly Mayhem Trolls and Riff-Raff have driven the top players else where...  But the posts from several years ago are still just as germane to your query...

Hope this helps...

Jul 16 16 03:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

bonniecreadick

Durham, North Carolina, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:

Please consider assisting other established makeup artist in your market... Especially wedding/bridal in as that is likely the most lucrative assignments you'll find in your local market...

Food for thought... Find Mayhem photographers in your market and offer to do creative tests with them... That way you can build a book which you'll need to attract commercial prospects... Please keep in mind that "Clean Beauty" is what the lion's share of clients are seeking... Wild avant garde over the top makeup will not likely get you hired for paid work...

Best advice is to search for the top Bridal Artist in your market... Try Wedding Wire or similar sites... Study their books and marketing techniques... There is no arguing with success... 

Finally try searching through the Stylist Forum here on Mayhem especially for posts dating back several years when some of the industry's top pros were still on Mayhem... Sadly Mayhem Trolls and Riff-Raff have driven the top players else where...  But the posts from several years ago are still just as germane to your query...

Hope this helps...

Thank you so much! Very helpful advice.

Jul 16 16 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello & Welcome to MM. smile

Jul 17 16 08:16 am Link