Forums > Newbie Forum > No one get paid on Model Mayhem, It's a TFP site

Photographer

Tony Doan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

1 out of 10 models booked actually show up. Well known singer do their own makeup, who do you think you are? Asking for the MUA, Stylist, magazine cover? Model is a walking coat hangers for display and sale clothes, this is where you start. MM is your boot camp to work on you modelling skill not you pretty face, I don't need your pretty face, I need to know if you can model or not? That's is when TFP aka test shoot got booked to test you for future job. Photographer don't pay you, company that hire the photographer pay you because he or she recommended you.

Guys with camera made you delusional here, no one get pay till someone sold something, it's business. Think about this;
1. I a goof photographer
2. client hire me to shoot ten t-shirts
3. log in to MM
4. hire a model on MM's search list that I have never work with before
5. No show on the day of the shoot or
6. Spent 4 hours working on basic modelling skill e.g face expressions
7. Client never ever book hire me again

Horny dude pay you to take your clothes off here on MM, for working photographers like me, even you went completely naked and can't do basic modelling and we don't complete the shoot on time or got the shot the client wanted, both our asses will never get hire from them again.

I left MM in 2006 to work on my celebrities and concert photography business, I came back this year the start a new venture and build a network of professional models and what I have found shocked me of how delusional most models here are,

Tony Doan

May 04 16 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

I book more clients off this site than any other social media outlet...
As far as models flaking, there has been only been two models this year and they were left over from last year, still wanting to shoot...
If you want to make money, you have to give the models what they want, not you think they want or just settle for...

Model mayhem is not to blame, its your market strategy....
Choose a demographic that has money..
Make models want to shoot with you and pay...

May 04 16 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Tony Doan wrote:
Think about this;
1. I a goof photographer

I believe you.  At least you didn't post this in the Model Forum.

May 04 16 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Tony Doan wrote:
. Photographer don't pay you, company that hire the photographer pay you because he or she recommended you.

Many photographers here are hobbyist photographers.  Most shoot have nothing to do with any company hiring anyone. Often the photographer is the client and sometimes pays for a model.  Sometimes the photographer and model are each other's client and do TF.   Sometimes the photographer hires a model for speculative work such as Stock.  Many TF shoots are not testing for anything, they are simply a trade of services.

There is no one size fits all here.

May 04 16 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah -- your failures are never your fault.

...  I have an excellent track record of models showing up on time.
...  I know that people here are getting paid.

I'll stop now, but I find it difficult to respect people who post threads like this.

May 04 16 11:31 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Gosh where to even start.

May 04 16 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

at your level (as stated in your post) shouldn't you be using an agency?

maybe leave the nude mayhem models for us horny guys who sometimes even pay them or hire them for workshops to help out our fellow horny photographers.

i've been at events where 15 TF models were booked and 2 showed up. you take your chances with TF. you might have to overbook.

May 04 16 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Tony Doan wrote:
1 out of 10 models booked actually show up. Well known singer do their own makeup, who do you think you are? Asking for the MUA, Stylist, magazine cover? Model is a walking coat hangers for display and sale clothes, this is where you start. MM is your boot camp to work on you modelling skill not you pretty face, I don't need your pretty face, I need to know if you can model or not? That's is when TFP aka test shoot got booked to test you for future job. Photographer don't pay you, company that hire the photographer pay you because he or she recommended you.

Guys with camera made you delusional here, no one get pay till someone sold something, it's business. Think about this;
1. I a goof photographer
2. client hire me to shoot ten t-shirts
3. log in to MM
4. hire a model on MM's search list that I have never work with before
5. No show on the day of the shoot or
6. Spent 4 hours working on basic modelling skill e.g face expressions
7. Client never ever book hire me again

Horny dude pay you to take your clothes off here on MM, for working photographers like me, even you went completely naked and can't do basic modelling and we don't complete the shoot on time or got the shot the client wanted, both our asses will never get hire from them again.

I left MM in 2006 to work on my celebrities and concert photography business, I came back this year the start a new venture and build a network of professional models and what I have found shocked me of how delusional most models here are,

Tony Doan

redacted

May 04 16 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Philipe wrote:
I book more clients off this site than any other social media outlet...
As far as models flaking, there has been only been two models this year and they were left over from last year, still wanting to shoot...
If you want to make money, you have to give the models what they want, not you think they want or just settle for...

This

May 04 16 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Why is this in the newbie forum?

May 04 16 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

ontherocks wrote:
at your level (as stated in your post) shouldn't you be using an agency?

That would be too easy!

May 04 16 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Tony Doan wrote:
Think about this;
1. I a goof photographer

Mark Salo wrote:
I believe you.  At least you didn't post this in the Model Forum.

Yup!

May 04 16 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Philipe wrote:

this
THIS
T H I S !
T H I S ! !

May 04 16 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Ha... the OP does have some valid points. I have trouble finding models for PAID shoots. With clothes on. Maybe I need to build a portfolio of dull head shots, I think that's what beginning models think modeling is.

May 06 16 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Perhaps it's a grammatical issue.

May 06 16 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Yikes.

I think you will win no friends bashing models because they do not recognize your genius.  Perhaps you should post your work in the critique forum so the well known busy fashion photographers can give you some pointers.

But please don't insult art photographers or art models, nude glamour models because they pose nude.  The genre has been around sice the birth of photography and in the world of art may have more relevance than fashion photography.

I suggest you are a little more open minded about call ALL photographers who shoot nudes GWCs

May 06 16 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lord I wish google would translate from illiterate to English. 

This site was never created for business but the networking of creatives.  The fact that it happens sometimes now is because of a shift in users.  Models can't afford to pay any significant money anyhow; if you business model is based on them, it is a failure.

May 06 16 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Tony Doan wrote:
1. I a goof photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta wrote:
Lord I wish google would translate from illiterate to English.

possible translation: 1. I am a good photographer

May 06 16 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures of Life

Spokane, Washington, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Gosh where to even start.

Laura at a loss for words ?!?  This must be the definition of Epic                 fail

May 06 16 10:22 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I don't know about others but even with an agency, MM has been a GREAT place for me naturally.
I know Facebook and Instagram? works for other people but for me, this place has been a great placeholder instead of maintaining a personal website.

Honestly I don't think it's MM.  You can be on ANY site and it's the relationships you foster.

May 07 16 08:34 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Misogynists shouldn't be allowed to buy cameras.

May 07 16 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

>>>>Tony Doan<<<<

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xk97h0somoGE80/giphy.gif

May 07 16 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Louis Li Photography

Philipe wrote:

This!!!!

May 07 16 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Howard Hal Ollman

Miami, Florida, US

Not much of anything this person says is right on. So she/he has a problem with models/MM when attempting to find someone here. so what else is new, that is life. sometimes it is not perfect.
Now hitting hard for models that pose nude, I have no idea as what this person is getting at, and calling someone horny, well how the heck would this person know, can they read minds, etc.? I believe what one person said, perhaps using an agency is the solution to having models show up, and having models that have a clue as to even know how to do their job, and "model". I happen to think, that unless you got a crew, are creating a movie, or an ad and have a budget of over $500,000USD!
Then chill, do what you can from the resourses that you have, and do the best you can. There is really no need to get down on people like this person seems to be doing, and in the way they are doing it. Life is what it is, people will be what they are and not you nor me are going to change that any time soon.
MM has been good to me, I have met and worked with some very fine people, and some that didnt show up, etc. Am I going to slam dunk a bunch of people or a website because of that, no. I will not. And yes, I do hire models that are here on MM.
I dont pay as much as I would like to, and I do not think I am cheating anyone. Do I shoot nude models, yes I do. Is any of the details anyone elses business, no. Do i use this site to do anything other then use this site for a image/video shoot, no. I am sure there are some that even try things like that, and they are the few, I would like to think.
Getting back to this poster/model/MM and it being in the newbie part of the forum, I also am wondering why it is there. Anyone notice that, and have any thoughts? I sure would like to hear them.
{and yes, i happen to think like a few others here, that this poster's first lang. is not english!}

May 07 16 10:36 am Link

Photographer

-WB-

Maassluis, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

A 90% flake rate is pretty high.
It contradicts my own experiences here: my flake rate is below 3%
(Over 35 shoots,  1 flake.)
I know, N= pretty low, but your flake rate is over 30 times higher?

If it was really just the site causing this, my flake rate should be closer to yours.
But it obviously isn't the fault of MM. MM is just ones and zeros creating a platform for people to connect and communicate.
So you either struck a statisticly pretty unlucky amount of the wrong people or you need to look into the common denominator of the flakes. Was it during holidays?
Or are you the only recurring factor in these unsuccesfull interactions?

Often communication is a huge factor in creating a serious working relationship before working together.
Whether you believe it or not, bad writing and bad grammar are often (unconsiously) seen as unreliable and unprofessional.
It may not be fair, but it is something to consider when you write a message.

PS.
A link to the magazine's website might also help.
If it exists, that is, because I can only find a FB-page with covers, but nothing about the content. The URL on FB leads back to FB.
So I guess, this might also be a factor in your flake rate:
I can't judge whether or not the magazine you shoot for is real or not.
Models who dig a bit might come to the conclusion you are just pretenting to shoot covers.
Sorry.

(The shots are not bad at all, btw)

May 07 16 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Once you're shooting real magazines like this dude
https://www.modelmayhem.com/1037363
Only then will you have a good time on MM.

May 07 16 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm curious to know where i can get my hands on a copy of the magazine you shoot covers for.
I too have search and am unable to find it, who is the publisher?

May 07 16 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Tony Doan wrote:

I would love to see some of this work - where can we see it?

May 07 16 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Rik Williams wrote:
I'm curious to know where i can get my hands on a copy of the magazine you shoot covers for.
I too have search and am unable to find it, who is the publisher?

Taythy.com goes to a facebook page. The page owner is the OP.

Tay Thy is a studio - the magazine is obviously self published, and it seems other than the "cover", there is no actual content.

And none of this is a surprise, is it?

May 07 16 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

LMAO LMAO OP just got outed!!

May 07 16 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I know people who get paid.

May 07 16 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

David T Thrower

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

This is the funniest and most bizarre thread I've seen in some time. Just wow.

I wouldn't show up either, and please see a psychologist?

May 07 16 08:54 pm Link