Forums > Newbie Forum > Pay Rates For Models??

Photographer

Indiana Models

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I realize that some models demand more money for photo shoots, but what is a 'normal' pay rate being fair to both the photographer and the model ? (1) Bikini & Lingerie shoots ?  (2) Nude "Erotic" type shoots ?

Thanks in advanced !

Feb 11 16 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

SGP Photography wrote:
I realize that some models demand more money for photo shoots, but what is a 'normal' pay rate being fair to both the photographer and the model ? (1) Bikini & Lingerie shoots ?  (2) Nude "Erotic" type shoots ?

Thanks in advanced !

It's fair when both are satisfied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm's_length_principle

Feb 11 16 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

That's like asking what a fair price to pay for an automobile is.  There are many MM models who never get beyond TF.  There are some models who commend $100/hour or more.  There are many factors which will determine what a model is worth including her look, her ability to market herself, how in demand what she offers is, what her costs are, what her time is worth, local supply and demand, etc. 

To someone earning minimum wage, to spend 3 more hours modeling one evening to earn an extra $60 might be a great opportunity to earn some spending money. For a traveling model, that won't come close to covering her daily expenses let alone make any profit.  As with most things, paying more, tends to make booking models easier, but it doesn't follow that paying $100/hour will necessarily result in better images than paying $30/hour. 

For what it's worth, about 1/4 of the images currently in my portfolio were TF a couple at $20/hour and the rest at $30/hour.

Feb 11 16 06:49 am Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Its basically dependent on experience and how eager the one person is to work with the other.

Same as asking, 'How long is a piece of string?' It varies! wink

Feb 12 16 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Indiana Models

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Thanks for your replies. I just recently had a model tell me that pay rates "Per Model Mayhem standards" were well above $100 an hour, yet I know she hasn't done many shoots at all yet (She's just started a year ago and I haven't seen that she's worked with anyone else neither), I pay expenses plus $100 an hour to her before, and now she acts like I'm cheap.    :-(   I thought I was being fair. I suppose I can't blame her for trying to get paid as much as possible, but making me feel cheap isn't the way to go, imo.

Feb 13 16 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

SGP Photography wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I just recently had a model tell me that pay rates "Per Model Mayhem standards" were well above $100 an hour, yet I know she hasn't done many shoots at all yet (She's just started a year ago and I haven't seen that she's worked with anyone else neither), I pay expenses plus $100 an hour to her before, and now she acts like I'm cheap.    :-(   I thought I was being fair. I suppose I can't blame her for trying to get paid as much as possible, but making me feel cheap isn't the way to go, imo.

Let's just say that optimism is a very desirable quality in young people.   There is no "standard" on Model Mayhem or anywhere else.  "Fair" is whatever the market will bear and that varies with the location, nature of the shoot, competition at the time, and the negotiating parties.  If anything, I'd say that you're being generous.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Feb 13 16 06:37 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

This is going around today.  Models paid $100 for a 10 hour day at NY fashion show?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyandoli/ … .tfbw1nr2G

Feb 13 16 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

SGP Photography wrote:

Thanks in advanced !

"Fair" is whatever the parties can mutually agree to.

I know of a number of models who will work for a finely cooked meal at a decent restaurant. Somehow I doubt most models here on MM would describe that as "fair."

Feb 13 16 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

SGP Photography wrote:

If I'm looking to buy a new car and the salesman tells me $80K is a standard car price, I know I'm shopping at the wrong car lot or looking at the wrong car.   If I was making a few grand off my shoots, I'd gladly hire models from a reliable agency at $100/hour or more, but few people I know are willing and able to regularly spend $100/hour and more on a hobby.  I think terms like standard or cheap really don't mean much.  In the end, we all place a value on what we are willing to spend or accept. 

There are some here who very vocally advocate paying rates of $100/hour or more, even on a hobbyist basis.  I'm sure if I offered $120/hour instead of $30/hour for art shoots, my booking rate would likely go up by 30%, but to me, that's not worth paying 4 times as much for.  I'd much rather accept that sometimes I won't book a shoot but have much more money available to do more shoots overall. That's my priority.  I also get, that traveling models have many more costs and fewer earning hours to cover those costs compared to non-traveling independent models, but it doesn't follow that makes them worth notably more to me to hire.

There is no right or wrong to what models you wish to book at what rates.  TF models, models earning $100/hour and everything in between has it's place.  Hire models at whatever rate you feel best works for you and best meets our priorities and budget.

Feb 13 16 08:26 am Link

Model

malefica

Durham, England, United Kingdom

There is no one single rate. Usually the rate will depend on the market average - obviously a model who charges well over the average for their area will get far less bookings than someone charging below or at the average. When it comes down to it, it entirely negotiable.

Feb 13 16 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

SGP Photography wrote:

If you want to overpay a nude model, all you need to do is to engage a model who thinks that taking off her clothes is automatically worth something, but it isn't.  It is the ability to hold her body elegantly that is worth something and not many models, clothed or nude, have that ability.

Rather than being cheap, I think that you are being overly generous.  There are precious few models who can command over $100/hr and plenty of really good models who are happy to work half a day at $50/hour or less.

Feb 14 16 06:16 am Link

Model

EmmaFrost

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

wow some people need to be humbled....i have no time for greed....be happy cause there are people working their butts off for $7/hr or less....I am always humbling myself because for me life is good and I'm so grateful and always try to spread the word about how happy we should be cause it could ALWAYS be worse...

SGP Photography wrote:

Feb 16 16 01:56 pm Link

Model

Porcelain_Rose

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I did a lot of forum browsing on this topic, when I first signed up with ModelMayhem, and came to the conclusion that it is VERY dependent on location.  However, it seems that most models who are willing to pose nude charge between $50 and $100 per hour.  Fetish and erotic models often charge more.  Models who only do implied/clothed generally command less.

That being said, every model who becomes a part of this industry enters with his/her own strategy for satisfying his/her goals.  Some models are in it more for the photos/art/confidence-boost and are happy to work for free... some are willing to work for free or cheap for good photos for their portfolios... some have other jobs and only do this as a side job for some extra cash.. and some (like me) model as their primary source of income.

Personally, I think you've asked the wrong question.  I think that what you should really be asking (of yourself) is "what am I willing to pay for the quality of work evidenced by this model's portfolio?"  If her body of work is something that appeals to you - if her style or energy or poses are really amazing and something that you want in your portfolio - then, decide what having those images is worth to you and pay that much.  A good model is worth her rate.

That being said... the "as per Model Mayhem standards" is bullhonkey.  We don't have a union.

Mar 05 16 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

SGP Photography wrote:

The $100 an hour is only what a model with experience, a good look and good portfolio is paid.

Mar 05 16 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

William H

San Antonio, Texas, US

SGP Photography wrote:

I generally pay $150-$300 for a 3 hour shoot. Dependent on her particular look, her ability to promo (social media and etc) and her level of experience. Expenses are always paid by me of course and I always give the option of treating the model to lunch/dinner since they usually fast before the shoot.

$100 per hour is more than fair.

Mar 07 16 08:48 pm Link

Model

KatrinaWhite

San Mateo, California, US

SGP Photography wrote:

Thanks in advanced !

I can't comment on what is "fair", but I can comment on what is common in my area. Most models I know charge between $50-$100/hour for bikini/lingerie/art nude shoots. Most models I know charge $100-$150/hour for more erotic nude shoots.

Mar 09 16 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Porcelain_Rose wrote:
... some are willing to work for free or cheap for good photos for their portfolios...

Models work for free only when the photographer's time and skills are worth nothing.

Mar 09 16 05:14 am Link

Photographer

salvatori.

Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica

SGP Photography wrote:

Thanks in advanced !

When a newbie tells me she wants $100 an hour to model, I will refer them to Nettie Harris' tumblr page. Nettie has been modeling for years, has a body of work that most people can only dream of, and charges $100 an hour.

Once the new model checks that out, our conversations for a potential shoot become a bit more realistic.

IMHO

Mar 09 16 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

salvatori. wrote:

When a newbie tells me she wants $100 an hour to model, I will refer them to Nettie Harris' tumblr page. Nettie has been modeling for years, has a body of work that most people can only dream of, and charges $100 an hour.

Once the new model checks that out, our conversations for a potential shoot become a bit more realistic.

IMHO

I've worked with her.

Mar 09 16 06:55 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

at the beginning (several years back) i had to pay to get anyone to show up. i paid traveling models and their published rates varied from $75-$125/hour. sometimes a model's rate will vary depending on the amount of clothes involved. with local models i could sometimes get them for say $75/shoot or just offering gas money on TF so their boyfriend wouldn't complain (which sort of makes it not really TF but that's a tangent).

eventually i got to the point where i could focus on TF but TF shoots can be iffy. sometimes the model shows, sometimes she doesn't.

Mar 09 16 08:24 am Link