Forums > Newbie Forum > Age and getting back into modelling

Model

susanh

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have had previous modelling experience, had gotten out of it for a bit and now trying to get back in. I'm 36, and in most cases way past my prime in modelling, but I'm still getting ID'd as if I'm not even of age. How do I break back into the industry at my age?

Feb 10 16 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Network, network, network!!!!!

First thing I'd do would be to determine how far geographically you're willing to go for a shoot to expand both your contacts and your portfolio.  Then I'd browse (first button on the left on the tool bar at the top of the page) and send a polite, informative PM to every photographer within your catch basin whose work interests you, letting him know that you're available for TF work.  That will not only increase your portfolio, it will help you establish your credentials in the event that they have  paying work later on.  At the same time, peruse the casting calls (next button over) to see who's looking for models in your area and while you're there, post your own casting call (or two or three) and an availability notice to let the photographers who are looking know that you're there and eager to wortk

And (if you haven't already) determine how far you're willing to go in terms of some level of nudity.  Age is no barrier for fine art modeling, but a "never! Never! NO!  NO!! NO!!!" attitude can be very limiting.  I'm not saying that you should do anything that violates your personal code, nor am I saying that even if you are willing to, that it's a good idea to say so on the net,  But you already have glamour listed as one of your genres;  you might want to add Art, Lingerie and Pinup as well, particularly if you're willing to show a little skin.  The photographers who shoot these genres are quite used to functioning within the model's boundaries (most of them) and it's mainly a matter of determining what you're willing to shoot and with whom and sticking to your decision.  It's not a one  size fits all situation.  Take a look at my portfolio.  Probably half or more of the models there that shoot pinup and lingerie don't shoot full nudes.  And probably half of those that do shoot nudes with me say in their sidebars that they don't.

Good luck!  There's no good reason for a woman that looks like you to not book as much work as she can handle.

Feb 10 16 01:35 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I didn't even start modelling until I was 35, so for you to be getting back in at 36 isn't a problem.

As Ray pointed out, the issues are what you are comfortable doing and location.  Cambridge isn't going to be a place that very much is going on, neither is London.  You would probably end up going to Toronto for the majority of modelling work in your region. Look for castings that are offering genres that you feel good about and reply, and you can also post availability notices stating what you would like to do.

Feb 10 16 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

Some of my models are older than you. Go for it. Why not have some fun? TH

Feb 10 16 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello and Welcome to MM. smile

You get back into modelling one step at a time. The main thing is have fun and enjoy yourself!

I would suggest contacting local photographer's who you would like to work with and send out a casting call.

Anyway, I Wish You All The Best! smile

Feb 11 16 01:07 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

Welcome to MM, and back into the beautiful world of modeling.

As stated by my peers, networking should lay the base down for more financially rewarding work. To that end, I would like to help you. Although I'm far away from your country, but I know a few professionals (model, photographer et.al) based out of Montreal/Toronto.

Should you need assistance, drop me a line, and I would be more than happy to introduce. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see something beautiful created out of such meetings.

Cheers!!

Feb 13 16 10:53 pm Link

Model

Olga Cabaeva

London, England, United Kingdom

robert b mitchell wrote:
Some of my models are older than you. Go for it. Why not have some fun? TH

Agree!

Feb 20 16 05:37 pm Link