Forums > Newbie Forum > Model vs. Photographer

Model

NicAntMar

Sacramento, California, US

Hey all. I recently joined MM and although it says "model" under my name, I'm mostly a photographer. I've been doing it for about 8 years and I love it. But I wanted to try more modeling. I've done some modeling and acting before but it was limited and I want to see where it takes me.
I'd love to also offer my services as a photographer as well. Should I make a new profile as a photographer? Or should I leave my profile as it is, simply mentioning that I also am a photographer?
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Feb 03 16 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

writtenrage wrote:
Hey all. I recently joined MM and although it says "model" under my name, I'm mostly a photographer. I've been doing it for about 8 years and I love it. But I wanted to try more modeling. I've done some modeling and acting before but it was limited and I want to see where it takes me.
I'd love to also offer my services as a photographer as well. Should I make a new profile as a photographer? Or should I leave my profile as it is, simply mentioning that I also am a photographer?

Yes

Feb 03 16 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

SoftLights

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I think it would make more sense to have two separate accounts. That way they'll be, well, separate smile
It certainly would not be a bad idea to reference them on each account tho. Good luck, sounds like it could be fun.

Feb 03 16 01:50 pm Link

Model

Layla_B

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

I recommend creating a separate photographer-account.
People will want to see your work, and a model&photographer portfolio together is confusing.
Also; people are using the browsebutton to search for people, models will select 'photographer' and thus don't find you on your model-profile (and vice versa).
Good luck!

Feb 03 16 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

writtenrage wrote:

You can make one as a model, photographer, Make up Artist, etc. As long as you know how to do the one's that you list.

Feb 03 16 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

I would think separate accounts would be best, so you can display both sides of your work.

IMHO smile

Feb 04 16 12:19 am Link

Artist/Painter

MattCauleyArtist

Sunnyside, New York, US

I'm in the exact same boat: I'm a painter, but want to offer myself as a model for artists. I am attempting to set up a separate account for my modeling, but for some reason it got flagged as having "Selfies" (even though there wasn't a selfie in the bunch). Hopefully it'll get sorted out.

Definitely a good idea to separate out the two portfolios.  Good luck!

Feb 04 16 06:08 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

writtenrage wrote:

It's a REQUIREMENT to make a different profile if the photos that you display are in a different category.

This is mainly to avoid confusion and in osme cases deceitful actions.
For instance, if a person is a Photographer  (and isn't very good at it) and also puts photos of themselves as a model (that are excellent quality shot by someone else) the average person viewing the portfolio would think that because it's a Photographer profile, that the same photographer shot all the photos and appears better qualified than they are.

There have been many profiles denied or removed as a result of mixing two categories into one.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/help/rules/ … quirements

MM rules wrote:
Must Fit Within A Category
Your profile must clearly fit into one of the categories listed upon sign up:

Individual Artist
This membership provides you with a portfolio to showcase your work and to be a full-fledged member of the community. It is ONLY available to individuals and is NOT available to entities that have multiple users or fall within a Talent Recruiter profile type.

Individual Artist Profile Types:

Model
Photographer
Makeup Artist
Wardrobe Stylist
Hair Stylist
Retoucher
Artist/Painter
Body Painter
Clothing Designer
Digital Artist
Filmmaker

Feb 04 16 08:18 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MattCauleyArtist wrote:
I'm in the exact same boat: I'm a painter, but want to offer myself as a model for artists. I am attempting to set up a separate account for my modeling, but for some reason it got flagged as having "Selfies" (even though there wasn't a selfie in the bunch). Hopefully it'll get sorted out.

Definitely a good idea to separate out the two portfolios.  Good luck!

I sent you a private message to help resolve the issue,
(ps... I'm an MM  Gatekeeper)

Feb 04 16 08:34 am Link

Model

NicAntMar

Sacramento, California, US

Thanks all! And Thanks MM gatekeeper. I'll fix everything. smile

Feb 04 16 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Sarkany Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes. I know an actress/photographer who did that on this site. It worked out great. It's a great way of getting to know both sides of model mayhem users. I would highly recommend it.

The things she learned from modeling helped her to be a better photographer and being a photographer helped her be a better model.

Feb 05 16 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

picsmadebycarin

Ridderkerk, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Well I modelled for about six years, mainly as a hobby. I also wrote  and photographed freelance for a newspaper in that period. Now I put modelling mostly on hold and started photographing models wink I have a model profile here (Lady Catharin (Carin) but for showing the pictures I have made as a photographer I have a photographers profile. It is less confusing to separate both I think.

Feb 09 16 07:12 am Link