Forums > Newbie Forum > The "Big Buddy" thread

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

PLEASE NOTE–THIS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD–ITS SOLE PURPOSE IS TO PROVIDE EXPERIENCED MEMBERS AN OPPORTUNITY TO OFFER TO HELP NEWBIES SETTLE IN TO MODEL MAYHEM.

NEWBIES-PLEASE READ-If you are looking for a Big Buddy, you MUST copy and paste the request into a PM and send it to the Big Buddy of your choice. (Just click on the avatar of the person you wish to contact, then click on the envelope in the upper right corner of the profile.)  DO NOT POST IT HERE because Big Buddies are not permitted to initiate the contact.  If you post here your request will not be seen.

Everybody needs a buddy from time to time, somebody that you can talk to, get advice from and so on.  The trouble is that when you’re new it can be hard to know who to ask.  So I’m suggesting that if you’re an experienced model, photographer, what have you, that wants to share your experience and help a newbie get his or her feet wet here in Model Mayhem, feel free to copy this form, fill in the blanks, and post it in this thread:

Hi!  My name's _______________________
I’m a (model, photographer, MUA, etc.) ________________________and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of
things like _______________________________________
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number     ______________
in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen
and send me a private message.
Understand, this is an offer to help from an individual member of Model Mayhem, not a program of Model Mayhem.  Model Mayhem neither endorses nor opposes such contact between members and denies absolutely any responsibility for the outcome of any such interaction.

And if you’re a newbie looking for a buddy to help you, feel free to copy the form below, fill in the blanks and send it in a private message to any of the experienced buddies posted below. 

TO AVOID HAVING IT SEEN BY SCAMMERS, ETC. PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR PRIVATE INFORMATION OR YOUR REQUEST HERE.  INSTEAD, SEND IT TO THE INDIVIDUAL BIG BUDDY OF YOUR CHOICE.

Hi,
My name is ___________________________
My MM number is _____________
I’m a newbie (Model, Photographer, MUA, etc.) __________________________
and I’d like you to be my Big Buddy.  I especially need help with:

I understand that this is strictly a member-to-member service.     It is an absolutely free activity in which you are offering to assist newbies.  (If you attempt to charge me a fee for any activity in which you may engage in connection with being my Big Buddy, I will not pay it and I will immediately Contact A Mod (https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod) to report the incident.)    It is not a program offered, supervised or administered by Model Mayhem, its management, administrators or moderators.  I hold Model Mayhem, Internet Brands and all it’s management and administrative team harmless as a result of my requesting the assistance of a Big Buddy.

Thank you.

May 02 14 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

May 02 14 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Fresh Faces Photography

Santa Rosa, California, US

Hi! 
I’m a photographer and I’d like to be a Big Buddy help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful to both models and photogs in terms of things like GETTING THE MOST OUT OF MM.
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number     __1280192____________
Understand, this is an offer to help from an individual member of Model Mayhem, not a program of Model Mayhem.  Model Mayhem neither endorses nor opposes such contact between members and denies absolutely any responsibility for the outcome of any such interaction.

Michael

May 02 14 04:26 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi! 
I’m an agency model, published photographer and occasionally work in casting and I’d like to be a Big Buddy help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of
things like choosing which genre of modeling is right for you, picking which photos to keep and which to delete, dealing with agencies and casting directors and how to tell if someone is trying to scam or otherwise harm you. I'm also quite versed in making bunnies appear. bunny
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number     735684

bunny

May 03 14 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Hi!  My name's Ray L'Dera
I’m an amateur photographer (about 10 years)  and occasional actor (SAG/AFTRA) and model (60 years)  and I’d like to be a Big Buddy and help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like   portfolio/profile evaluation, working relationships between models and photographers, making the most of MM, etc.   
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number    901436 
in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message.

May 03 14 08:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Greg K Retouching

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Hi! 

I’m a Retoucher and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like: showing new photographers/retouchers the difference between good and bad post-work, teach them non-destructive methods that won’t remove/blur texture. Guide models to photographers that will be beneficial to their port.

To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 2772789 in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message.

May 03 14 09:03 pm Link

Model

Marla Pandora

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi!

I’m a model, photographer and MUA and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started. I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like showing different emotions during a shoot and how to work as a versatile model. I would also help you choose the right images for your portfolio to stand out more, and give you honest advice on what you should be improving (ex: working with better photographers, what kind of makeup would suit a particular shot better, improving on your poses etc..)

To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 1000788 in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message.

Understand, this is an offer to help from an individual member of Model Mayhem, not a program of Model Mayhem. Model Mayhem neither endorses nor opposes such contact between members and denies absolutely any responsibility for the outcome of any such interaction.

May 05 14 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Hi!  My name's CHAD

I’m a PHOTOGRAPHER & RETOUCHER and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started. 

I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like LIGHTING, MODELS, TESTING, RETOUCHING

To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 1385301
in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message.

Photographers, models and stylists are welcome to contact me smile

Understand, this is an offer to help from an individual member of Model Mayhem, not a program of Model Mayhem. Model Mayhem neither endorses nor opposes such contact between members and denies absolutely any responsibility for the outcome of any such interaction.

May 05 14 03:55 pm Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi!  My name's Payton
I’m a model and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of
Finding photographers to work with, detecting scams, being a buddy!
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number    3821854

May 05 14 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Hi!  My name's _Alex_
I’m a _photographer_ and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like _Lighting, Retouching, Photography in general_
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number _2152020_

May 05 14 06:51 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Hi!  My name's Nat.

I'm a freelance traveling model, as well as a hobbyist photographer and artist. I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started. 

I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like figuring out how to market yourself as an art model, what to expect, as well as general portfolio critique/feedback for artists and photographers (warning: I ask a lot of questions and try to figure out the aim of your work and prod you to figure out what you want from your work).

To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number  2400215 in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message. (photographer profile is 1433929 but I do not reliably check messages on that profile)

If I am slow to respond, apologies smile

May 05 14 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

Hi!  My name's Jennifer.

I’m a photographer and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like:
-Setting up your first Casting Call and Availability Notice.
-Navigating the forums and discussing the frequent topics of inquiry and concern for new photographers.
-Using BBC code in the forums and on your portfolio page.
-Discuss the language of the trade like TF, editorial, commercial and the various styles of Photography.
-Preparing mood boards and emails to collaborators.

To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 1167379
in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message with the subject line MM Newbie [your role: photographer, model, etc.]: Needs a Buddy

May 06 14 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

bump

May 08 14 07:31 am Link

Model

Marla Pandora

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Can we have this thread stickied please? It would be easier for newbies to find it smile

May 11 14 12:33 am Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Hi!  My name's Michael
I’m a photographer, and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like image manipulation, workflow techniques, and lighting setups both in studio and outdoors.

To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 337446 in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message.

May 11 14 01:37 am Link

Artist/Painter

Michael Bayouth

Carpinteria, California, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Hi! 
I’m a photographer and I’d like to be a Big Buddy help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like creativity.
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 2506354 in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message.

May 12 14 10:40 am Link

Retoucher

Patreshas Editing

Frankston, Victoria, Australia

Hi!  My name's Patresha
I’m a Digital Artist, Retoucher, Photographer, Artist/painter and I am also a Retired Model and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started. 
I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like How to post images into forums to gain the best results, How to resize images, How to upload your images and basically anything you need to know about profile. I can help also by sharing my ideas with retouching digital art. The best software to use. In regards to Photography and Modeling, I can tell you what is classified as 18+ on here so that you make sure you dont get caught out with that. I will have you back on the site
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number     2328316

May 13 14 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Oct 23, 2021 11:47 am
Reason: other
Comments:
Not needed

May 13 14 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Mark Harris Photography

Metuchen, New Jersey, US

Hi!  My name's Mark Harris.
I’m a photographer and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started. I’d be especially helpful in terms of things like art nude lighting and working with models in a professional way.
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 895990 in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen and send me a private message.

May 23 14 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Robert love

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post hidden on Dec 10, 2014 10:50 am
Comments:
No Longer Needed

Jun 01 14 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Re: https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st18946918

Hi, Robert,
Thanks for posting.  I'm afraid, though, that I'm going to have to ask you to select a Big Buddy and contact him or her directly via PM, rather than post your request here.  We set it up this way after seeing other sites where people were contacting newbies with sometimes spurious offers.  This way, you can look over the available Big Buddies and contact whoever you feel will be most able to help you.  I would be very happy to help you in whatever ways I can but as a hobbyist in New York, there's very little I could tell you about setting up a photography business in Toronto.  If you wish, however, I might be of some help in terms of contacting models, portfolio development, etc.  Feel free to drop me a line.

I've just looked over the list and see that unfortunately we have no one from Canada yet.  (The project is only a few weeks old.)  How about it, Canadian photographers and models?  Would you care to lend Robert a hand?  If so, please check the  OP for how to offer your services.

Jun 03 14 07:25 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I will fill out the form and repost it when I get home tonight. I want to participate, but have already left home for the day, am on a phone, and can't do it from this device.

Jun 12 14 09:03 am Link

Retoucher

Patreshas Editing

Thought i would share what i just created to put on my profile so that people know i am a big buddy participant

https://oi59.tinypic.com/fncx92.jpg

you can use it if you would like to

To use just remove the *

[IMG*]http://oi59.tinypic.com/fncx92.jpg[/IMG]

Jun 19 14 03:22 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Patreshas Editing wrote:
Thought i would share what i just created to put on my profile so that people know i am a big buddy participant

https://oi59.tinypic.com/fncx92.jpg

you can use it if you would like to

To use just remove the *

[IMG*]http://oi59.tinypic.com/fncx92.jpg[/IMG]

Awsome!

Thanks, Patreshas!

Jun 19 14 07:14 am Link

Retoucher

Patreshas Editing

No probs my pleasure

Jun 21 14 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Scott Schwerman

Oceanside, California, US

Comments:
No Longer Needed

Jul 11 14 10:29 am Link

Photographer

CityRepublic

Comments:
No Longer Needed

Jul 13 14 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Estrella Mt Photography

Goodyear, Arizona, US

Hi!  My name is Tony.

I’m an experienced photographer and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie model or photographer get started.

I’d be especially helpful in terms of
things like " putting a portfolio together / posing / being creative.

To check out my portfolio here on MM # 1580051 placed in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen, or check out my website at EstMt-Imaging.com and send me a private message at [email protected]

Jul 18 14 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Matthew James Imagery

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Post hidden on Dec 10, 2014 10:51 am
Comments:
No Longer Needed

Jul 27 14 12:52 am Link

Model

lionslamb

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Post hidden on Dec 10, 2014 10:51 am
Comments:
No Longer Needed

Jul 31 14 03:46 pm Link

Model

ReeRee

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Post hidden on Dec 10, 2014 10:52 am
Comments:
No Longer Needed

Aug 04 14 03:27 am Link

Digital Artist

Kezzi

Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa

Hi!  My name's Keziah Radov

I’m a  retoucher and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of  things like posting to forums. When I post an image to the forum the image is a small thumbnail, would love to post bigger sized images and need help in doing this. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 3463716

Aug 12 14 02:31 am Link

Photographer

D-Light

Newcastle, Limerick, Ireland

Hi!  My name's Eddie, I’m a  photographer and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of
things like working with models, lighting and posing. To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number  2007786 in the box in the upper right hand corner of your screen

Aug 26 14 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Coogan

Sutton Coldfield, England, United Kingdom

Hi!  My name's Andrew
I’m a photographer and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of
things like lighting techniques, and how best to appraoch a shoot
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number #3482971

Aug 27 14 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Hi!  My name's Mike.
I’m a photographer, and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of
things like art nudes, free lance work, and budget photography.
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number     791539

Aug 31 14 08:19 pm Link

Model

Julius

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

Post hidden on Dec 10, 2014 10:53 am
Comments:
No Longer Needed

Sep 06 14 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

JDF Photography

Marengo, Ohio, US

Hi!
My name is JDF Photography. I am a photographer and would like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started. I'd be especially helpful in terms of things like on location shooting and working with models.
To check out my portfolio and contact me, just type in #55319 in the box at the upper right of the screen and send me a PM.
Understand that this is an offer to help from an individual member of Model Mayhem and not a program of MM. Model Mayhem neither endorses or opposes such contact  between members and denies absolutely any responsibility  for the outcome of such interaction.

Jack/JDF Photography

Sep 07 14 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Hi!  My name's L'allure Photographic (Rick M.)
I’m a (model, photographer, MUA, etc.) photographer, and I’d like to be a Big Buddy to help a newbie get started.  I’d be especially helpful in terms of
things like movement, wardrobe, make up for models, lighting and posing, lens selection, location finding, developing clients, for photographers, etc.
To check out my portfolio and contact me just type my MM number 3491772

Sep 09 14 12:07 pm Link

Model

Ashleigh A

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Post hidden on Dec 10, 2014 10:53 am
Comments:
No Longer Needed

Sep 11 14 10:50 am Link

Photographer

RDclicks

Nashville, Tennessee, US