Forums > General Industry > Sluggo related question....

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ok, suppose a photographer also works for an agency as a talent scout, but does not manage per se......he or she wouldn't be considered a sluggo, like photographer / model managers, right?

Sep 02 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

They all go through the chipper just the same...

Sep 02 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:
They all go through the chipper just the same...

Why? Who that model shoots with or the assignments they take after they are signed has nothing to do with them.... ??

Sep 02 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

if someone shoots for or scouts for an agency, that's fine. however, the moment that is the shooter's pitch...

i've brought many people into agencies. i've taken a fee from agencies for doing so. i've never and would never use that as a pitch point.

Sep 02 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

oldguysrule wrote:
i've brought many people into agencies. i've taken a fee from agencies for doing so. i've never and would never use that as a pitch point.

Agreed, but several people here do.

Sep 02 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

oldguysrule wrote:
if someone shoots for or scouts for an agency, that's fine. however, the moment that is the shooter's pitch...

Thanks, please explain....

Sep 02 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

I think for the purposes of MM, if you do not create, monitor and respond for a models profile, you aren't a sluggo.

Sep 02 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

Jack North wrote:
I think for the purposes of MM, if you do not create, monitor and respond for a models profile, you aren't a sluggo.

chip chip chip,   oooo it hurts a lot

chip chip chip,  ooo  a tender spot

chip chip cihp    answering all of her maaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiillllll

amazing  sluggo  pitching control of the model,
amazing sluggo  what a show  for sale.

Sep 02 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thanks Jack....No I do not plan on doing any of that....I shoot for a local model and talent agency, and have brought models to them....so they are going to give me talent scout training and I get a commission for any talent signed......but I have nothing to do with their careers and what not after that, once i am done shooting them.....all that is pretty far removed from the internet anyhow......though some may wind up here too.....so what you are saying is as long as I don't lure girls here with that, I'm ok....?

Sep 02 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jack North wrote:

well i suppose so long as you are not actually doing the responding, but i have to say a lot of models routinely ask me:

"can you write or create a cool bio for me?" or
"how should i respond to this photog?" or
"should i do a TFP with that photog?", or etc

and i routinely give them my 'consigliere' advice

Sep 02 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Jay Farrell wrote:

Thanks, please explain....

i would avoid photographers who pitch themselves as scouts rather than relying on their photography as the strength of their pitch. this is whether they are scouting for agencies, magazines, or whatever.

if you require further explanation, private message me.

Sep 02 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Jay Farrell wrote:
Thanks Jack....No I do not plan on doing any of that....I shoot for a local model and talent agency, and have brought models to them....so they are going to give me talent scout training and I get a commission for any talent signed......but I have nothing to do with their careers and what not after that, once i am done shooting them.....all that is pretty far removed from the internet anyhow......though some may wind up here too.....so what you are saying is as long as I don't lure girls here with that, I'm ok....?

i would say yep. i see no reason why photographers who shoot for and have relationships with agencies are, by default, bad... as TX said, unfortunately many do use these relationships to pitch their services, and some use it to attempt to establish some continuing relationship with the models they shoot.

Sep 02 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

oldguysrule wrote:

i would avoid photographers who pitch themselves as scouts rather than relying on their photography as the strength of their pitch. this is whether they are scouting for agencies, magazines, or whatever.

if you require further explanation, private message me.

Understood, and that makes sense.....thanks again!

Sep 02 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Chili wrote:

well i suppose so long as you are not actually doing the responding, but i have to say a lot of models routinely ask me:

"can you write or create a cool bio for me?" or
"how should i respond to this photog?" or
"should i do a TFP with that photog?", or etc

and i routinely give them my 'consigliere' advice

yes, that is normal stuff. I think you can even be their 'manager', just don't run a profile for them.

Sep 03 06 10:38 am Link