Forums > General Industry > What is a model?

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

This is a remix of a few topics. I've spent sometime on this site..TOO MUCH..LOL

I have had the pleasure of working with quite a few MM models and more on the way. knock on wood..
I've come across many a portfoilio of models whom dont seem to really know what a model really is.

Models with preconceived notions on what kills a career and what doesnt.
Nude.tattos..piercing..etc..

My definition of a model is simple as far as I am concerend.

A model is an actor who performs for one frame at a time. Which by the way I think is harder than being an actor. One frame is it..thats all you get, so you must get it right.

When i was acting, I payed many roles. I once played a gay teen..at frist I was very weary because I wonderd what people would think of me. THE midwest wasnt so gay friendly as the west coast is. In the end, not only did I play a great character, I broadend my rage.

Modeling should be about range and quality. Not about..will this kill my career. In todays age, it's hard to kill anything unless you truly and simply SUCK.

Thoughts anyone?

Aug 27 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Richard X Moore

Saginaw Township North, Michigan, US

I agree with you nearly 100%. A model is someone who can project a specific persona for the photographer, regardless of whether or not the model is really "like that" in real life. It's all about actually BEING the subject. It's about so much more than looking good.

Aug 27 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

A model is anyone who has ever posed for a photographer, painter or sculptor.  That's all. 

-Don

Aug 27 06 02:21 pm Link