Forums > General Industry > Am I too Fat????? Someone tell me

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

I am not trying to be a high fashion model.  I want to do print commercial sport.  Things of that nature.  Do I need to loose weight.  And can anyone tell me with my size what kind of modeling should i be doing?

Jul 25 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

u should post some poloroids of yourself in a bathing suit, without any retouching. front, back and side view. i really cant tell from your current images.

Jul 25 06 06:49 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Capt Stu Beans wrote:
u should post some poloroids of yourself in a bathing suit, without any retouching. front, back and side view. i really cant tell from your current images.

none of my pics have had retouching done to them

Jul 25 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If you're looking to do commercial print modeling, you should probably approach commercial print agencies and see what they say about it.

Pearls wrote:
I am not trying to be a high fashion model.  I want to do print commercial sport.  Things of that nature.  Do I need to loose weight.  And can anyone tell me with my size what kind of modeling should i be doing?

Jul 25 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Harvey

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

You don't look too fat to me.
You look mighty fine . . . . at least from what I see on your port!!

Jul 25 06 06:58 pm Link

Model

Andrea Leigh

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Modeling isn't ENTIRELY about your size. Its mostly about confidence. If you doubt you can do it... the reality is you probably won't succeed, simply because you think you won't.

Make sense? smile

The most beautiful person in the world could doubt themselves completely. It will show in your portfolio, as well as in your work ethic.

Jul 25 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

Commercial print models need to be fit, not super skinny like a fashion model.  You clearly have a nice figure but not the most flattering photographs. I'd suggest just toning up a bit but don't worry about losing weight.  Good Luck with everything!

Jul 25 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

Commercial print models need to be fit, not super skinny like a fashion model.  You clearly have a nice figure but not the most flattering photographs. I'd suggest just toning up a bit but don't worry about losing weight.  Good Luck with everything!

Jul 25 06 07:04 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Andrea Savvides wrote:
Modeling isn't ENTIRELY about your size. Its mostly about confidence. If you doubt you can do it... the reality is you probably won't succeed, simply because you think you won't.

Make sense? smile

The most beautiful person in the world could doubt themselves completely. It will show in your portfolio, as well as in your work ethic.

I don't doubt myself at all.  I have lots of conficence.  I just don't know why photgraphers don't want to work with me.  I know its not because i don't show up cause i always do they say I have a great personlity and work well i just thought maybe my weight was an issue I am 5'8 weighin in at 135

Jul 25 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Amy J Jones Photography wrote:

Do you have any suggestions on what i should do? Should I just run i don't want to get to buff to where I look like China

Jul 25 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

You should also put a few commercial print-style photos in your portfolio... contact a photographer who works in the style that you'd like to eventually get paid to shoot, and invest some money in a couple quality portfolio pieces.

Aerobic exercise will help you tone and tighten - stuff like swimming, running, elliptical machines, that sort of stuff. Go to a gym and talk to a personal trainer.

Jul 25 06 07:11 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Dave Wright Photo wrote:
You should also put a few commercial print-style photos in your portfolio... contact a photographer who works in the style that you'd like to eventually get paid to shoot, and invest some money in a couple quality portfolio pieces.

Aerobic exercise will help you tone and tighten - stuff like swimming, running, elliptical machines, that sort of stuff. Go to a gym and talk to a personal trainer.

Thanks I am investing some money in August so I can actually get some good shots.  Thanks again

Jul 25 06 07:17 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

smile

Jul 25 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Myke Newman

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I don't think you are, remember all types and sizes of models are need, so don't get discouraged. I think you can do commerical print, but thats my opinion.

Jul 25 06 07:49 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Myke Newman wrote:
I don't think you are, remember all types and sizes of models are need, so don't get discouraged. I think you can do commerical print, but thats my opinion.

Thanks yeah its hard modeling in Hawaii It seems over here majority of the photog are looking for Asians or local girls then I I wanted to do a paid assgimt who is going to pay for a plane ticket from hawaii

Jul 25 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Diane Wallace

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hey Pearls,

I'll be honest. smile  I'm not sure you're "too fat" because you can't tell with the shots you have.  I'd suggest that you work on your portfolio some more.  Based on the images you have I would not hire you for a shoot.  It looks like you need more experience or better judgement.  Either way it's a deal breaker.

I'd also suggest you take some photography courses or at least understand the elements of a good photograph.  Start reading PDN (Photo District News), Picture, Photo, and other quality mags so you get a sense of what the industry is doing.

It's been said a million times on these forums but I'll repeat it.  Modeling is a job.  You have to work hard to be top notch.  You need to be in shape, on time, rested, and also know what the heck the business is all about.

Good luck!

Jul 26 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

One can not be too thin or too wealthy, I suspect everyone knows their own personal truth about both of these.

Jul 26 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

Pearls wrote:

Do you have any suggestions on what i should do? Should I just run i don't want to get to buff to where I look like China

ummm.. try going to a gym

Jul 26 06 12:49 am Link

Model

Krystal Dawn

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I advise some weight training and keep track of calories burned and eaten.   
I am not trying to be mean, don't focus on the lb number...focus on lean body mass to fat mass...that is far more important.

Jul 26 06 12:57 am Link

Model

Ahzure

Glendale, Arizona, US

Just throw up a whole bunch or try nose candy.  Works for a lot of models... (just kidding)

Get some implants and do Playboy. Ok, just kidding again. 

No really, just go out there and be yourself.  Ask some agencies what they would advise on making you "marketable" if you truly want to go commercial.  It does pay the bills...

Jul 26 06 02:13 am Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

No you're not, I think you could do commercial.

Jul 26 06 02:43 am Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

if your worried about it then do some minor toning if you feel you should....obviously if your asking about it then your thinking it a bit.  but mainly id say just work on your facial expressions, in a lot of your pics your making the same face.

Jul 26 06 10:38 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I'd suggest just toning up a bit but don't worry about losing weight.

Yeah, what she said.

Do you have any suggestions on what i should do?

http://www.josienutter.com/fitness

Jul 26 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

To answer your first question, yes, you probably should lose ten pounds or so, even for commercial print.  I don't know specifically the agencies in Hawaii, but generally small market agencies are "hybrid" - they want models who can cross over betweeen commercial fashion and commercial print.

Pearls wrote:
I just don't know why photgraphers don't want to work with me.

It's probably because you didn't paste enough hundred dollar bills to your forehead when you sent them the pictures of you.

Seriously.

Getting free commercial print pictures is very difficult.  Commercial print models almost always have to pay someone to shoot them if they want to get what they really need to be "agency-ready".

Jul 26 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

you look very healthy to me

Aug 03 06 11:29 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

It looks like your measurements may be a bit inaccurate. Getting them right will make it easier to see where you stand compared to other working models.

Aug 03 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Lightbulb

Toronto, Iowa, US

Bearz Images wrote:
One can not be too thin or too wealthy, I suspect everyone knows their own personal truth about both of these.

Yeah I think theres actually such thing as being too thin, even in the high fashion industry....

You know...think about it. Insanely boney arms would scare people away....they would stop looking at the garment and wonder how the model is actually walking steadily without falling apart to bones....wink

Aug 04 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

No, I don't think you're too fat, but you could try looking less bored.  And I'd get rid of all the pics with "brother7" on them.  They turn me off.

Paul

Aug 04 06 03:16 am Link

Model

Postergirl

Sacramento, California, US

You look fine to me..................I think China the wrestler is really a man, i just can't belive thats a women.....her voice is too deep and shoulders to broad..but back on the topic "You look good girl" don't worry

Aug 04 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Being the married guy that I am, I learned long ago never to answer questions like that but to change the subject instead. smile

Mel Gibson is quite an idiot, isn't he?

Aug 05 06 05:30 pm Link

Model

Vincent Vega

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I dont know very much about the size thats required but in my opinion your cute either way  big_smile

Aug 05 06 05:43 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Further proof that common sense is not all too common.

Aug 05 06 05:44 pm Link

Model

Isabella Stryker

Lowell, Massachusetts, US

You don't need to invest money to get good, high quality pictures for your portfolio.  Just do trade for cd shoots.  There are LOTS of photographers who want to do trade shoots.  Do a bunch of those and you will get 2 or 3 pictures from each shoot that are good enough for your portfolio.

I would recomend fetish modeling for your figure.  I think foot, latex, bondage, goth, suicide girl, glamour, that sort of thing.  You don't have to be nude for any of those.  But girls with boobs, always do best in the fetish industry.  Dress yourself up really pretty in some tight corsset and fancy hair and make up, and super high heels, maybe holding a whip, or wearing a collar and a leash.

As far as weight goes.  Just be healthy!

Aug 05 06 05:50 pm Link

Model

Leftpinkytoe

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't think you look fat at all; like others have said, you might want to tone up some, but don't worry about going on some crazy diet.

If you get some better-quality photos in your portfolio, you could do just fine. Definitely hunt around in your area, and don't be afraid to be aggressive about contacting good photographers. smile

Aug 05 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Harrill

Forest City, North Carolina, US

Remember the camera will give you an extra 10 lbs. Would you look fat then? Probably would. Lay off the fries and pizza and sugar.

Aug 05 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

You Can Probably Do a Shake It Like A Salt Shaker on a Little Jon Video, or something.......

Manny D.

Aug 05 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

David Duane

Chandler, Arizona, US

You don't look fat to me.  You look heavier than most of the models in the magazines, but I think those models are too thin, so I would say that you look just right.  I think running might help you get the right kind of tone in your legs.  Love your wicked figure.

Aug 05 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

I agree with those that said you have a nice figure but you need to tone up.. it isnt about walk around cute, it is about CAMERA ready.. and you arent that..

but you arent far from it.. that and a better understanding of what you are supposed to do in front of the camera and you will be fine..

Good luck.. and get as much camera time as you can.. nothing beats practice..

Aug 05 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Wallace333

doubt youll ever do "sport" as you said. youre not fat. you probably wouldnt have much chance at fashion though, mostly cause of your tattoos.

Aug 07 06 12:47 am Link

Model

NATGEDA

Los Angeles, California, US

Pearls wrote:

SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONES FISHING.....LOL YOU LOOK FINE, YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT, U HAVE THE TYPE OF BODY SOME DREAM OF.  YOU CAN DO PRINT AND COMMERCIAL IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHO THE TARGET AUDIENCE IS.

Aug 07 06 12:54 am Link