Forums > General Industry > Is a contract a good idea for TFP or TFCD?

Model

Yummee

Zion, Illinois, US

Hello to all,

I am going to do my first photo shoot and it's a TFCD.
I have spoke with the photographer and he is very well interested and so am I. I am not as experienced as some of you so can anyone give me some ideas as far as where to look for "this particular" kind of contract? I know that some things are pretty much obvious because of the conversation we had but I don't want any misunderstandings. After all this is a business and legal paper work is very necessary. I have searched on-line only to get to a bunch of sites you have to pay to get the contract. Not even sure if the contract that they will provide will cover all I want to be included ( if you know what I mean). I'm going to the library today....so can anyone give me some helpful advice. It's greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to all *~YUMMEE~*

Jul 05 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

W__

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

Check out:

http://www.newmodels.com/

Beebe

Jul 05 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Yummee wrote:
Hello to all,

I am going to do my first photo shoot and it's a TFCD.
I have spoke with the photographer and he is very well interested and so am I. I am not as experienced as some of you so can anyone give me some ideas as far as where to look for "this particular" kind of contract? I know that some things are pretty much obvious because of the conversation we had but I don't want any misunderstandings. After all this is a business and legal paper work is very necessary. I have searched on-line only to get to a bunch of sites you have to pay to get the contract. Not even sure if the contract that they will provide will cover all I want to be included ( if you know what I mean). I'm going to the library today....so can anyone give me some helpful advice. It's greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to all *~YUMMEE~*

what is it you think this "contract" is going to do for you...if the photographer doesnt live up to what he promisies, are you going to retain legal representation to inforce the contract...for TFP images?...no offense yummie, but this borders on ridiculous...all the photog has to do i say the images were lost...the film was ruined or the media was corrupt...if you dont trust this photog..dont work with him/her.

Jul 05 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Le

San Diego, California, US

I agree with Doug. Although there should be some basic agreements in writing for TFP to ensure both sides are clear on what they'll get, TFPs are supposed to be free work when both the model and photographer like each others' work. The point is "good spirit" I usually chat with the models to find out if we have the same view in working. Then I scale down the agreements to a basic one-page "TFP Release" with basic details such as we agreed to have full use and for personal promotional purpose, sign/date. That's all. I don't think I'd even think about working my b... for someone who throws some paper work at me with tons of legal terms, and for free? ahahahaah. Yes, call me anything they want, I just laughed out loud. LOL

Jul 05 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I'd be up for going through releases but a contract? I wouldn't even bother unless there's money involved.

Jul 05 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I would think that a model release would be appropriate -- especially for the photographer (who would typically retain the copyrights of the images).

A contract is probably overkill, but it is a good idea to take a little time to clarify expectations.  For example: 

>>>  When & where is the sitting?
   >>>  What is everybody's contact information (e.g. cell number)?
   >>>  Who will be in attendance at the sitting?
   >>>  Who is providing makeup & wardrobe?
   >>>  How many images do you expect from the photographer?
   >>>  Are these images edited or unedited?
   >>>  Will the images include the photographer's logo?
   >>>  Will the images identify the model?
   >>>  What size are the images?
   >>>  What are the model's usage rights?
   >>>  When should the model expect the images?
   >>>  etc.

In general, I know it's a bother, but it is a good idea to make sure that everybody concerned is on the same page before anyone invests time & money.  If you don't do that, then one of you is likely to start a negative thread here in the forum complaining about how the other party did you wrong.

Jul 05 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I would think that a model release would be appropriate -- especially for the photographer (who would typically retain the copyrights of the images).

A contract is probably overkill, but it is a good idea to take a little time to clarify expectations.  For example: 

>>>  When & where is the sitting?
   >>>  What is everybody's contact information (e.g. cell number)?
   >>>  Who will be in attendance at the sitting?
   >>>  Who is providing makeup & wardrobe?
   >>>  How many images do you expect from the photographer?
   >>>  Are these images edited or unedited?
   >>>  Will the images include the photographer's logo?
   >>>  Will the images identify the model?
   >>>  What size are the images?
   >>>  What are the model's usage rights?
   >>>  When should the model expect the images?
   >>>  etc.

In general, I know it's a bother, but it is a good idea to make sure that everybody concerned is on the same page before anyone invests time & money.  If you don't do that, then one of you is likely to start a negative thread here in the forum complaining about how the other party did you wrong.

a "model release" protects the photographers useage of the images..nothing more..how would that help this model?

Jul 05 06 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

As a new model, there are two terms you should learn about: model release, and copyright.

Model release: A model release allows the photographer to use the images depicting you for commercial use, which generally means advertising a product or service. Even without a release, the photographer can use the images for all sorts of non-commercial uses, such as editorial, art, and portfolio. A model release protects the photographer. If the photographer does not ask you to sign a release, then don't worry about it. No model release does not harm you in any way, it only harms the photographer. Most professional photographers have very standard model releases which they will ask you to sign.

Copyright: When a photographer takes a photo, they automatically own the sole and exclusive copyright to the image (with some specific exceptions) by default. You, as a model, can not use the images for anything without the photographer's permission. What you normally want from the photographer is "limited usage rights" to use some or all the images for specific purposes (such as your portfolio, or personal use or whatever). Granting limited usage rights can be done using a very legalese contract, or can simply be done verbally. Mostly for amenable TFP/TFCDs, I just grant limited usage rights in an email after the shoot. While model releases are fairly standard, the granting of usage rights is much more varied in how photographers and models deal with it.

In most TFP/TFCDs I do, a model release is the only legal contract signed. I deal with most everything else more casually, either verbally or by email. Having said that, I have very thorough conversations with models, so that there is no misunderstanding or conflict afterwards.

Loonsee's list is a great one. The disputes I read about most often on MM is about how many and/or what resolution images the photographer is expected to provide to the model, and whether or not they will be edited or unedited. Any agreement is fine, so long as both parties agree in advance. If I'm doing an art shoot, I typically agree to give them two edited low res images, plus two art prints. If I'm doing a fashion shoot, I might be willing to give them many more, possibly unedited photos. It depends on the nature of the shoot. Some photographers give the model an entire CD of unedited images (something I would be unlikely to do). All of these scenarios are perfectly acceptable. The arguments arise when the model and photographer have conflicting expectations and nobody talked about it before hand.

Normally, due to copyright laws, you can not edit the photos the photographer gives you (other than resizing them) without their permission. Some photographers will say sure, no problem. Others are very picky about editing. For me, it depends on what I'm shooting. I've only met one model who've I've allowed to edit my art photography (she is very talented and creative, and I know her well, and trust her). I'm very protective of my art photography. For some fashion shoots, I'm more likely to let the model play around with the images.

Jul 05 06 04:08 pm Link

Model

Heidi Brennan

VAN NUYS, California, US

Why don't you guys cut her some slack, she said that this is her first shoot. Perhaps she isn't quite sure yet of how all of these things are handled? Yummee, if you and the photographer have an agreement that this is a TFCD shoot and you feel comfortable after all of the discussions that you've had, I would say that that is enough. However, if you would feel more comfortable having him sign something, then do so, but I don't think you need a full blown contract. You could simply type something up on your own saying that this is a TFCD shoot and that neither party will sell any of the images for profit, or whatever you want to put. But it really doesn't need to be anything elaborate.

Jul 05 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Yummee wrote:
Is a contract a good idea for TFP or TFCD?

No but a release would cover your ass big_smile

Jul 05 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

C R Photography wrote:

No but a release would cover your ass big_smile

No, it wouldn't.  A release covers the photographer's ass.  That's what it's for.

Jul 05 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Scott Aitken wrote:
Normally, due to copyright laws, you can not edit the photos the photographer gives you (other than resizing them) without their permission.

This argument has been made before, and I have yet to see a credible case made for it.  Photographer's pictures are edited all the time, and notwithstanding the unfortunate reading of "derivative work" by one of our members, there is nothing in copyright law that prohibits it.

Jul 05 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

David Green

Santa Clarita, California, US

Really, people... take it easy on Yummee: A model release IS a contract. Any agreement, even verbal, between a model and a photographer may be legally construed as a contract.

That's why it is important to have a release, even for TFP/TFCD work, especially if any of the parties involved has professional aspirations. It doesn't just protect the photographer (though at the minimum, it does just that). A fair release should protect the model, too.

Yummee, you should have a release. It should give you certain assurances: That the photographer won't use the images to promote illegal activities; that it will not be modified in a way that could embarrass or libel you; that it will not be used to promote sexual services. (The last one, of course, you would delete if you are indeed posing nude or for adult pictures.)

It should detail that the photographer will give you images, whether those images will be retouched; whether they are electronic or print. My release only promises a CD of my picks of unretouched images, but depending on the shoot, I may give a model more...

The release should also say whether the photographer will give you high-res or low-res images, and what you may used the images for.

Due to problems I've had recently, I'm about to add a clause to my release that says the model cannot choose which images go on my portfolio site!

Of course, as some of the other people have commented, you probably won't use this contract to win a court case... but you could. The more important element is to clarify, in writing the understanding between you and the photographer so there are no upsetting mistakes. (Or at least, you can minimize them.)

This is not 10 pages of legalese... Just one simple page, maybe four paragraphs:

1. The date, time and location of the shoot and the names of the photographer and model. (And makeup artist or stylist if they are working TFP/TFCD as well... you don't want them to use your images inappropriately either. I request anyone working TFP/TFCD credit all parties where possible when the material is used, so a makeup artist would credit any photo used as, say, "Model: Heidi Klum, Photography: David Green.)

2. The photographer's rights. (i.e., I can use this for anything I want...)

3. The model's rights. (i.e., I can use this in my portfolio...)

4. Who gets what. (The model gets CDs, pay, prints, etc.)

There should be space for both of you to sign, date, and include addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. You should expect to put your birthdate to certify you are over 18 (even if you are not shooting topless or nude... a minor cannot sign a contract!). Both you and the photographer should get copies on the spot... None of this, "I'll send you your copy with your images B.S."

A professional photographer (or one who wants to be, or has any hope of becoming) will GLADLY give you this. And you should never be afraid or intimidated to request it.

Good luck!

Jul 05 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

David Green wrote:
A fair release should protect the model, too.

then, its not a model release...:::::sighh:::: it would be an agreement...

Jul 05 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

David Green wrote:
A model release IS a contract. Any agreement, even verbal, between a model and a photographer may be legally construed as a contract.

Not true.  A release is a grant of rights from the model to the photographer.  There is no reason why it has to be a contract.

David Green wrote:
That's why it is important to have a release, even for TFP/TFCD work, especially if any of the parties involved has professional aspirations. It doesn't just protect the photographer (though at the minimum, it does just that). A fair release should protect the model, too.

Releases protect the photographer.  That's what they are for.  A release grants the photographer certain rights.  It does not protect the model.

When working with agency models, the equivalent to a "TFP" is a "test".  It is a shoot in which the model and photographer both get to use the pictures for their portfolios and to market themselves.  No releases are signed, because they are not necessary.

David Green wrote:
Yummee, you should have a release. It should give you certain assurances: That the photographer won't use the images to promote illegal activities; that it will not be modified in a way that could embarrass or libel you; that it will not be used to promote sexual services. (The last one, of course, you would delete if you are indeed posing nude or for adult pictures.)

And if she does not sign a release, she is not protected against these things?  No.  A release DOES NOT improve a model's rights in the way a photo will be used.

It certainly is possible to have a contract between the model and the photographer which does protect her rights, but it's not "a release" - it's a contract of some other kind.  (Yes, such a contract could also contain release clauses, but that still makes it a contract of some other kind.)

David Green wrote:
It should detail that the photographer will give you images, whether those images will be retouched; whether they are electronic or print. My release only promises a CD of my picks of unretouched images, but depending on the shoot, I may give a model more...

The release should also say whether the photographer will give you high-res or low-res images, and what you may used the images for.

And this will do what?

A release needs to be signed by the model.  Nothing signed by the model creates any obligation by the photographer.  Only if the document is signed by the photographer is that obligation created.  And when that happens, it's not "a release" any more.

Jul 05 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
a "model release" protects the photographers useage of the images..nothing more..how would that help this model?

I said that the model release is especially good for the photographer.  It helps the model in that it ensures that the model understands that she doesn't have any of the copyrights to the images.

Jul 05 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I said that the model release is especially good for the photographer.  It helps the model in that it ensures that the model understands that she doesn't have any of the copyrights to the images.

A release has nothing to do with copyright.  It doesn't help her understand anything about copyright. 

A release has to do with only one issue:  the model's rights to control use of her image.  Nothing else.

Jul 05 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

TXPhotog wrote:

This argument has been made before, and I have yet to see a credible case made for it.  Photographer's pictures are edited all the time, and notwithstanding the unfortunate reading of "derivative work" by one of our members, there is nothing in copyright law that prohibits it.

It *could* be considered willful destruction... but that would be a stretch of an argument...which is what lawyers get paid for.

Jul 05 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Heidi Brennan wrote:
Why don't you guys cut her some slack, she said that this is her first shoot. Perhaps she isn't quite sure yet of how all of these things are handled?

This isn't that type of business...if she can't handle a little harshness in the help she gets then she's going to have a real hard time of it when people tell her she's ugly or fat or any of the other numerous put downs models get.

If it's your first shoot here's what I would recommend:

ASK THE PHOTOGRAPHER!

- via email ask the photographer what to expect exactly from beginning to the end...this way you have a written proof of what your expectations are and what the photographer is offering you for your time.

- if anything about what you expect is not included ask the photographer if he will agree to including it.

- keep all copies of these emails

- if anything the day of the shoot does not go according to what you have negotiated to expect, ask the photographer if you can leave/end the shoot and let him know you weren't expecting such and such.

- as part of the negotiation process in the emails be sure to get a timeline for delivery of photographs...if they aren't delivered in that timeline feel free to bug him about it.  Also if you feel your time is very valuable negotiate a non-delivery amount, a dollar amount that will cover your time should the photographer be unwilling or unable to deliver the photos.

Jul 05 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

James Jackson wrote:
It *could* be considered willful destruction... but that would be a stretch of an argument...which is what lawyers get paid for.

Willful destruction of what?  She has no obligation to maintain it, she can delete it or burn it at will.  She can also retouch it. 

The photographer retains his original, so nothing has been "destroyed".

Jul 05 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

James Jackson wrote:
If it's your first shoot here's what I would recommend:

ASK THE PHOTOGRAPHER!

- via email ask the photographer what to expect exactly from beginning to the end...this way you have a written proof of what your expectations are and what the photographer is offering you for your time.

- if anything about what you expect is not included ask the photographer if he will agree to including it.

- keep all copies of these emails

- if anything the day of the shoot does not go according to what you have negotiated to expect, ask the photographer if you can leave/end the shoot and let him know you weren't expecting such and such.

- as part of the negotiation process in the emails be sure to get a timeline for delivery of photographs...if they aren't delivered in that timeline feel free to bug him about it.  Also if you feel your time is very valuable negotiate a non-delivery amount, a dollar amount that will cover your time should the photographer be unwilling or unable to deliver the photos.

Agreed.  This makes a lot more sense than trying to come up with some formal contract and asking him to sign it.

Jul 05 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Scott Aitken wrote:
Normally, due to copyright laws, you can not edit the photos the photographer gives you (other than resizing them) without their permission.

TXPhotog wrote:

This is an often repeated argument.  Clearly nothing in copyright law prohibits a model from editing an image.  Copyright law deals with reproduction, distribution and publication.  In many cases the model would probably be prohibitted from publishing the edited images without the consent of the copyright holder.  On the other hand, certain aspects of copyright law, such as parody, would suggest that some kinds of editing are protected and beyond the control of the copyright holder.

Copyright is really misunderstood by many.

Jul 05 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

TXPhotog wrote:

Willful destruction of what?  She has no obligation to maintain it, she can delete it or burn it at will.  She can also retouch it. 

The photographer retains his original, so nothing has been "destroyed".

Willful destruction includes copyrighted "copies" of original works if the copies would be considered copyright protected...

section 106a:

(3) subject to the limitations set forth in section 113(d), shall have the right—
(A) to prevent any intentional distortion, mutilation, or other modification of that work which would be prejudicial to his or her honor or reputation, and any intentional distortion, mutilation, or modification of that work is a violation of that right, and
(B) to prevent any destruction of a work of recognized stature, and any intentional or grossly negligent destruction of that work is a violation of that right.

It would have to be a "recognizable" artist, but no one can say that a judge would/wouldn't agree with an artist's recognizably or right to protect his/her own image if the modification to the image did serious damage to how it looked/how the artist was perceived.

Jul 05 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

James Jackson wrote:
section 106a:

You left out the first part of 106a, which is crucial:

Title 17 wrote:
(a) Rights of Attribution and Integrity. — Subject to section 107 and independent of the exclusive rights provided in section 106, the author of a work of visual art —

(1) shall have the right —

Section 106a does not apply to the situation of a picture used by a model for self promotion.  Such a picture is not a "work of visual art", and therefore is not protected by 106a, which only applies to "works of visual art".  The stature of the photographer as an artist is not relevant.

Title 17 wrote:
A “work of visual art” is —

(1) a painting, drawing, print or sculpture, existing in a single copy, in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author, or, in the case of a sculpture, in multiple cast, carved, or fabricated sculptures of 200 or fewer that are consecutively numbered by the author and bear the signature or other identifying mark of the author; or

(2) a still photographic image produced for exhibition purposes only, existing in a single copy that is signed by the author, or in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author.

A work of visual art does not include —

(A)(i) any poster, map, globe, chart, technical drawing, diagram, model, applied art, motion picture or other audiovisual work, book, magazine, newspaper, periodical, data base, electronic information service, electronic publication, or similar publication;

(ii) any merchandising item or advertising, promotional, descriptive, covering, or packaging material or container;

(iii) any portion or part of any item described in clause (i) or (ii);

(B) any work made for hire; or

(C) any work not subject to copyright protection under this title.23

Jul 05 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

TXPhotog wrote:
Section 106a does not apply to the situation of a picture used by a model for self promotion.  Such a picture is not a "work of visual art", and therefore is not protected by 106a, which only applies to "works of visual art".  The stature of the photographer as an artist is not relevant.

A “work of visual art” is —

(1) a painting, drawing, print or sculpture, existing in a single copy, in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author, or, in the case of a sculpture, in multiple cast, carved, or fabricated sculptures of 200 or fewer that are consecutively numbered by the author and bear the signature or other identifying mark of the author; or

(2) a still photographic image produced for exhibition purposes only, existing in a single copy that is signed by the author, or in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author.

A work of visual art does not include —

(A)(i) any poster, map, globe, chart, technical drawing, diagram, model, applied art, motion picture or other audiovisual work, book, magazine, newspaper, periodical, data base, electronic information service, electronic publication, or similar publication;

(ii) any merchandising item or advertising, promotional, descriptive, covering, or packaging material or container;

(iii) any portion or part of any item described in clause (i) or (ii);

(B) any work made for hire; or

(C) any work not subject to copyright protection under this title.23

I was just about to paste that same thing...  I would think then that the argument could be made it *is* a work of visual art... if, and only if, it is a TFP and the original was an actual print signed by the photographer

-OR-

You could logically argue that a digital gallery is the same as a physical gallery and a single copy or short run copy "produced for exhibition purposes only, existing in a single copy that is signed by the author, or in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author"... I know, I know...that's not exactly how the law reads, *but* a lot of laws are being expanded to protect digital copies of copyrighted works as much as physical copies.  I see no reason why a single or short run set of images, signed by me and either numbered or made as a single copy, should not be as protected as a print that meets the same criteria.  If I sign the CD and number it or only ever make one...well...what is the difference between that and a print?

Of course, this would have to be argued in court, and it is open for interpretation, but it could be argued effectively I think...

I also think the sections you bolded in (A) (i) and (ii) are irrelevant because - the modification is to a photographic image -and- this is not a case of a "merchandising item or advertising, promotional, descriptive, covering, or packaging material or container"

Jul 05 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Moskop

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think many here are way over-complicating things.  In the business world I live in, contracts are only required when large sums of money are being delt with- tens of thousands, or at least thousands.  For less, a hand shake will do.  I don't know what kind of TFP could be worth enough money for me to worry about it.  If the photographer doesn't do what he promises, move on.  Are you going to sue for a couple of hundred dollars?  It costs that much just to talk to my lawyer.  If you don't want the photographer to sell the images of you- don't sign the release.  If you don't want the photographer to show the images of you- don't pose for them.

Jul 05 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Try signing and numbering a copy of a piece of "art" that exists only in RAM and the video card memory of my computer.  Can't be done.  And there is no way the law is intended to apply to such electronic copies.

James Jackson wrote:
Of course, this would have to be argued in court, and it is open for interpretation, but it could be argued effectively I think...

We have had this discussion before.  As you point out, anything at all, no matter how specious, can be argued in court.  But there comes a point when common sense and a rational reading of the law have to govern action.  Otherwise we are all paralyzed because anything at all could be claimed to be illegal.  "Somebody could argue in court" is not a very useful standard.

James Jackson wrote:
I also think the sections you bolded in (A) (i) and (ii) are irrelevant because - the modification is to a photographic image -and- this is not a case of a "merchandising item or advertising, promotional, descriptive, covering, or packaging material or container"

Sure it is.  I specified that the image was to be used for self promotion by the model.  That makes it a "merchandising" or "promotional" item.  Once again, I know if you try really hard you can find some way to argue against the clear intent of the law . . . . but again, a rational reading is required.

Jul 05 06 09:56 pm Link

Model

Nina Brown

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Damn...her question was a good one...most people responding are photogs thinking only of themselves, as in you're the ones NOT getting paid. However, what happens when the model DOESNT receive images or only receives two out of the 25 rolls of film that were shot.  TFP is a reciprocal pay form and if a model puts time and effort for make-up, outfits and traveling...she should receive her images and sometimes it just doesn't happen.  I know plenty of models this has happened to. Girl, i say you make your own...and not for money, but just so you can get some guaranteed pics...and if he lost the film...shoot again!

Jul 05 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

James Jackson wrote:
I would think then that the argument could be made it *is* a work of visual art... if, and only if, it is a TFP and the original was an actual print signed by the photographer

If the model retouched that physical print that was signed and numbered, yes.  But if she made a copy of it for self promotion on the web (as I specified, and assuming that using the picture on the web for self promotion was authorized by the photographer), modifications to that copy would not be covered by 106a.

Jul 05 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

TXPhotog wrote:
Try signing and numbering a copy of a piece of "art" that exists only in RAM and the video card memory of my computer.  Can't be done.  And there is no way the law is intended to apply to such electronic copies.

James Jackson wrote:

We have had this discussion before.  As you point out, anything at all, no matter how specious, can be argued in court.  But there comes a point when common sense and a rational reading of the law have to govern action.  Otherwise we are all paralyzed because anything at all could be claimed to be illegal.  "Somebody could argue in court" is not a very useful standard.

James Jackson wrote:

Sure it is.  I specified that the image was to be used for self promotion by the model.  That makes it a "merchandising" or "promotional" item.  Once again, I know if you try really hard you can find some way to argue against the clear intent of the law . . . . but again, a rational reading is required.

Well hey, as usual I think we'll have to disagree...not that either of us is defacto wrong...just that I don't agree with your interpretation of the intent of the law.

Clearly a photograph of a model is not what they were trying to define in (A)(ii)... obviously by the context the section was talking about "merchandising item"s (like posters, catalogs, boxes, t-shirts, and flyers) and clarifying that as being an "advertising, promotional, descriptive, covering, or packaging material/container".

This is *my* rational reading of the law...I am not emotional or trying to get one up on you man...just saying I don't agree with your interpretation.

Jul 05 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Nina Brown wrote:
Damn...her question was a good one...

I agree

Nina Brown wrote:
...only receives two out of the 25 rolls of film that were shot.  TFP is a reciprocal pay form and if a model puts time and effort for make-up, outfits and traveling...she should receive her images and sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Firstly: A TFP does not mean you get a copy of every image shot of you during what could be a very long photography session... A TFP doesn't mean you get a print of every photograph taken of you for all 25 rolls of film... A TFP in fact doesn't mean anything...it's not a real word...  It's all up to what the model and photographer negotiate to be the result of the shoot.

As to this part of the question...

Nina Brown wrote:
what happens when the model DOESNT receive images

See earlier...

James Jackson wrote:
ASK THE PHOTOGRAPHER!

Jul 05 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Moskop

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nina Brown wrote:
Damn...her question was a good one...most people responding are photogs thinking only of themselves, as in you're the ones NOT getting paid. However, what happens when the model DOESNT receive images or only receives two out of the 25 rolls of film that were shot.  TFP is a reciprocal pay form and if a model puts time and effort for make-up, outfits and traveling...she should receive her images and sometimes it just doesn't happen.  I know plenty of models this has happened to. Girl, i say you make your own...and not for money, but just so you can get some guaranteed pics...and if he lost the film...shoot again!

I understand your position and I am genuinely sorry all photographers don't keep their promises.  But a contract still makes no sense- if the photographer doesn't live up to the contract, what are you going to do?  What are your damages?  Gas money to get to the shoot?  You can't sue for that.

I am an outstanding photographer, and have had great success as a professional, and do keep my promises.  But if a model I'm interested in shooting portfolio work with, comes to me with a contract, I wouldn't shoot with him or her.  If we can't trust eachother with no money on the line, how can we come together to colaborate to create great images, much less work together as paying gigs come down the line?

Jul 05 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nina Brown wrote:
Damn...her question was a good one...

And the third post in this thread was the good answer.  She asked, she got an answer.  Later she got another good answer.  The information is there.

Jul 05 06 10:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

you could also just keep the emails that you guys have sent to one another regarding the details of the shoot. that worked for me once, like a deal memo.

just be careful, don't sign your life away. if you show up and he wants you to sign something that you are unfamiliar with or uncomfortable with, it is better to say something than to keep quiet.

i do commend you for trying to educate yourself on these things beforehand, so that you wont be super suprised.

Jul 05 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

Heidi Brennan

VAN NUYS, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
This isn't that type of business...if she can't handle a little harshness in the help she gets then she's going to have a real hard time of it when people tell her she's ugly or fat or any of the other numerous put downs models get.

Heidi Brennan wrote:
That really has nothing to do with it. She's a first timer asking for advice. She wasn't asking for comments on her or her photos, she was asking a question about contracts. I don't think there's any reason to be harsh with someone over that, particularly if they're new. The way some people talk, they think that everyone should know everything right off the bat.

Jul 05 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Heidi Brennan wrote:
That really has nothing to do with it. She's a first timer asking for advice. She wasn't asking for comments on her or her photos, she was asking a question about contracts. I don't think there's any reason to be harsh with someone over that, particularly if they're new. The way some people talk, they think that everyone should know everything right off the bat.

Well, firstly let's ask her if she was offended?

Second, let's hold her hand and ask her why...

Third, let's have her breath deep breaths and contemplate the meaning of life in a lotus pose...

Finally, let's see if she got any good advice while she was being offended and pissed upon by us uppity photographers who think everyone should know everything right off the bat...uh yep she did...so STFU!

Jul 05 06 11:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Heidi Brennan wrote:
James Jackson wrote:

Heidi Brennan wrote:

Heidi, I think you misunderstood James. I think he was making the point that as a model she is going to be hearing a lot worse criticism than this post... i dont think he was actually critiquing her. but its true, you ask every top model and they will have many many stories of being told they were too tall, too short, too fat, too skinny, nose is too big, boobs are too small... you name it they have probably all heard it.... well maybe not adrianna lima...

Jul 05 06 11:37 pm Link

Model

Heidi Brennan

VAN NUYS, California, US

James Jackson wrote:

Well, firstly let's ask her if she was offended?

Second, let's hold her hand and ask her why...

Third, let's have her breath deep breaths and contemplate the meaning of life in a lotus pose...

Finally, let's see if she got any good advice while she was being offended and pissed upon by us uppity photographers who think everyone should know everything right off the bat...uh yep she did...so STFU!

Well, someone's a little pissy this evening! I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, I was talking about what seems to be a general attitude on here. I read the different posts on here sometimes and am amazed at how rude some people are in their responses. A lot of people posted a lot of helpful things without having to use a sarcastic tone about it. Also, I'm not the only one who said to cut her some slack, so why you would tell me to "STFU" and be so immature is beyond me.

Jul 06 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Is a contract a good idea for anything you do?

Yeah...

Don't be a moron.

Jul 06 06 12:30 am Link