Forums > General Industry > Pinup modeling...

Hair Stylist

Britt Castaneda

Farmers Branch, Texas, US

Just wanted to see what advice everyone has for an amatuer.
At my age this will only be a hobby.

What is the best way to approach photographers about their rates?

What are your suggestions on posing and facial expressions?

Is it best to practice posing or just take direction from the photographer?

Can you be fully clothed and still be considered a pinup or is it just considered vintage fashion modeling?

Thanks again everyone,can't wait to see your opinions!

Jul 03 06 09:09 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Britt Castaneda

Also,is it best to stick with one particular era?
My vintage collection covers late 40s,lots of 50s,and very early 60s.
I definitely favor the 50s,but find plenty of goodies in the other eras as well.

Jul 05 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Buy the book The Great American Pin-Up. The author's name escapes me, sorry. It is full of great ideas. Not all Pin-Up is nude but most of it is at least scantily clad.

Jul 05 06 09:36 pm Link

Model

Maulie Keebler

San Antonio, Texas, US

I see you have extensive experience styling...now you want to model, right?  I strongly recommend working with Gayla from 666photography from Austin if you're looking for someone in TX to shoot with.  She's very busy, but can get you a lot of looks in one shoot.  Your photographer can help you with poses, but definitely go in with an idea of what YOU want, especially if you're paying them.  Arch, flex, and extend your body for every shot (it's very exhausting, but the most uncomfortable positions make the best photos).  In my opinion, facial expressions make the pin-up.  I've found that it helps me to close my eyes between shots & have the photographer count to 3 when they're ready to shoot.  You open your eyes just then and don't have a harsh focused look.  It also helps to be having a genuinely good time so you get some real smiles & cutesy stuff in.  Good luck!
Maulie
MissMaulie.com

Jul 05 06 09:39 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Britt Castaneda

Hi Michael- I have it,wonderful isn't it?Definitely inspiring!
Being on the other side has made me such a visual person,that I run out of ideas since I can't normally see myself posing.

Maulie-What a beauty you are,pinup perfection! I love,love 666photography's work and in fact I've been thinking of heading to Austin in December with plans to set up a shoot with her as my X-mas present to myself.
Thank you so much for your advice and words of encouragement!
xoxo-Ruby

Jul 05 06 09:55 pm Link