Forums > General Industry > Nauseating MySpace page designs!

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Angel Tara wrote:
funny this came up, because I was going to spend the rest of the day redoing mine.

it was made for firefox and is jacked in IE

www.myspace.com/angeltaramodel

does it blow too?

No, yours just sucks.  The text box is too wide cutting off your eye in the top left key pic.

Jul 03 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

rp_photo wrote:

The best that can be done is to stick with the defaults as I did:

http://www.myspace.com/rp_photo

The defaults blow.  Its just a nasty pissy environment.

Part of what I hate about is you visit somebody's page and you want to view pix so you click on that.  It says hey, you have to be logged on to see that.  You log in and then it doesnt return you to the page you wanted to see.  You're COMPLETELY LOST!  MySpace SUCKS.

Jul 03 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Me too.
Not on purpose, anyway.

Myspace: The computer crashin', copyright infringin' palace of pedophiles and predators.  Gotta give 'em credit, at least they're good at something!

Iris Swope wrote:
Dude that's the internet in general. Don't pin it on Myspace.

Yeah, you're right.
But MySpace seems to be the Capitol, the Mecca, the Holy Grail for that type o' stuff.

Even the local Fox TV station often reports about dangerous and illegal stuff that goes on at MySpace... and Fox OWNS Myspace! 

(On the other hand, maybe that's how they try to attract more people).

Jul 03 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

rp_photo wrote:
As a photographer, I use MySpace to communicate with many of my models. Some are there more often than here.

I will maintain civil tones, but some of the MySpace page designs are chaotic, cluttered, and vomit-inducing. Often, it is impossible to even find the places that one must click to send mail, request friends, etc.

And don't get me started on the automatically-playing music!

Let's hope that MM never allows as much leeway in page design in order to protect the web-design challenged from themselves!

I agree...I try to keep mine as simple as possible.

www.myspace.com/digitalcmh

Jul 03 06 04:42 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:
No, yours just sucks.  The text box is too wide cutting off your eye in the top left key pic.

edit:

I fixed it!!! LOL

Jul 03 06 04:56 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:

Oh my GOD!  I didnt know you could do a page on MySpace that didnt cause brain hemmorhages and bleeding eyeballs.  So it really is completely clueless designers.  Huh.  Learn something new every day.

Good job.  Looks almost pro.

Ah!  Didn't even realize I'd been linked already... (grin)

Thanks, you two!

Jul 03 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Angel Tara wrote:
Josie, did you use an overlay? And if so, do you have any idea, off the top of your head, why my overlay isn't working properly in IE? It looks great in Firefox but in IE, it's off...

Nope, what I'm doing is probably considered really hacky... but it works!

This is the key:

table table td.text table td.text tbody table tbody td table td { display: none; }
div div table td td font { visibility: hidden; }

Hide all their stuff first, then use div tags to manually position and display all of your new stuff exactly how you want it.

Jul 03 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

Jul 03 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Louis Guidone

Woodside, New York, US

Some models like to vomit anyway LOL

http://www.myspace.com/louis_g (PRIVATE)

http://www.myspace.com/louisguidonemusic

Jul 03 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

i think that the music player is great--it's a fantastic help promotionally.  i think it's quite flattering as well when i open somebody's page and they've got one of my songs playing.  you've always got the option of turning off the volume.

i do think it's irritating that there are people with such a raunchy sense of aesthetics--mangled page dimensions from looooooooooooong words, huge images, shitty HTML coding...flashing/sparkly banners and images...falling hearts/stars/whatever...the general employment of a host of neon colours set against a black background...stacks upon stacks of music videos...etc.

it's hard for me to take somebody seriously if they've got a raunchy myspace page.

www.myspace.com/marketzero

Jul 03 06 05:38 pm Link

Model

Syl

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

i kept mine basic as well.. [
it's also private so you'll have to add me as a friend to view it.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … id=2054215

Jul 03 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Nikki S. wrote:
now we are critiquing myspace pages? lol cool...

me next, me next!

http://www.myspace.com/kyssmesl0wly

On a 20" monitor at 1024X768 I STILL have to scroll side to side to see your whole page.  That's ridiculous.  It should fit with no side scrolling.
That flashing set of colored strips in the background is distracting & liabke to give someone an epileptic fit.
You've got a bunch of images hosted on an unreliable source (angelfire) so they're missing.
Some of the icons that are there are blinky & hard to read.
Pale green text on a white background=eyestrain & hard to read.
Get RID of the music player.

Jul 04 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

rp_photo wrote:
As a photographer, I use MySpace to communicate with many of my models. Some are there more often than here.

I will maintain civil tones, but some of the MySpace page designs are chaotic, cluttered, and vomit-inducing. Often, it is impossible to even find the places that one must click to send mail, request friends, etc.

And don't get me started on the automatically-playing music!

Let's hope that MM never allows as much leeway in page design in order to protect the web-design challenged from themselves!

I could not agree more.  I agree with all you said - and I hate the music. Myspace just screams UNPROFESSIONAL. For the life of me, I don't see why anyone would like from MM to Myspace. It adds no value to a model's port in any way, shape, or form. Lost it!

/tim

Jul 04 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

dncphotos wrote:
I agree, most of the pages take foreverrrrrr to load, and Im on broadband.

One guy asked to add me since he was advertising his clothing line or something, but took 10 mins just for everything ha had on his page to show up....
Its crazy I tell you. My page is simple and to the point about my photography. I still have the default white background lol...

Anything else is too much....

but this Myspace page is pretty cool..........
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … d=84502464

Please turn off the music. tnx. /t

Jul 04 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

revolution photography

Well I'd agree with the OP. Most of these 'hacked' pages are abominations. Although branding is important, I tried to keep mine simple.

Chris
::rev

Jul 04 06 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

LOL..

Sadly I do know CSS and HTML, I ave just been too lazy to make some changes.

When I first put the page up I had every intenrtion on going back and doing some fine tuning..I guess the time has come..

http://www.myspace.com/VanceMcDaniel

Jul 04 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Me too.
Not on purpose, anyway.

Myspace: The computer crashin', copyright infringin' palace of pedophiles and predators.  Gotta give 'em credit, at least they're good at something!

Yeah, you're right.
But MySpace seems to be the Capitol, the Mecca, the Holy Grail for that type o' stuff.

Even the local Fox TV station often reports about dangerous and illegal stuff that goes on at MySpace... and Fox OWNS Myspace! 

(On the other hand, maybe that's how they try to attract more people).

But there were also new stories about how bbs chatrooms, aol chatroom, instant messaging, and being on the internet in general has risk for dangerous and illegal stuff. Myspace is just the new thing to blame

Jul 04 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

TIM MELIDEO PHOTOGRAPHY

San Diego, California, US

i didn't take the time to read allll the posts, but a think that will help MANY of you people is to get the browser FIREFOX. if you guys are using internet explorer still, you need to stop as soon as possible. go to www.mozilla.com and download firefox. its available for mac or pc. after you get that, you can get a thing called an extension and you can disable all the media on myspace.... like video and audio players (all of em). you can also get one to disable images from loading and advertisements. myspace still runs like crap, and always will, but it does help a little bit.

www.myspace.com/timmelideo
www.myspace.com/endswell

Jul 04 06 03:04 am Link

Model

Jennicide

San Francisco, California, US

Damn I would be honored to know my space had induced vomiting, or possibly a loosening of the bowels. In-fucking-credible!

Jul 04 06 03:45 am Link