Forums > General Industry > Now thats great photography! Its all coming clear.

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

So I had a shoot today with a photographer and suddenly I realized half-way in that "wait a minute. This is a REAL photography in the making! This is what the professionals rave about! " Every detail about the shoot was given attention.

The clothes, the poses, the lighting, the background, even down to hairs on my chiny chin chin (hee hee just kidding. Sorry, I can't sleep and I'm bored) But really, his knowledge and expertise about the buisness was so clear and on-point that I wish I could of taped our conversations!

Any model have a similar expirience with a photographer? That moment when you can define what a 'great photographer' is without someone having to tell you? When for once you don't have to even think about the prints being mailed to you cause you know they'll be outstanding?

Before, its was hard for me to be selective in who to work with cause I didn't really grasp the concept of what a 'great photographer' is. Now I'm wondering how many more like him are out there.

Jul 03 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Glad you have stepped up. There are many ahead of you that have stepped up long ago.

Jul 03 06 02:14 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

ANNABELLA wrote:
So I had a shoot today with a photographer and suddenly I realized half-way in that "wait a minute. This is a REAL photography in the making! This is what the professionals rave about! " Every detail about the shoot was given attention.

The clothes, the poses, the lighting, the background, even down to hairs on my chiny chin chin (hee hee just kidding. Sorry, I can't sleep and I'm bored) But really, his knowledge and expertise about the buisness was so clear and on-point that I wish I could of taped our conversations!

Any model have a similar expirience with a photographer? That moment when you can define what a 'great photographer' is without someone having to tell you? When for once you don't have to even think about the prints being mailed to you cause you know they'll be outstanding?

Before, its was hard for me to be selective in who to work with cause I didn't really grasp the concept of what a 'great photographer' is. Now I'm wondering how many more like him are out there.

Isn't it great when that happens?
Honestly, I think finding a "great photographer" is looking for someone who you feel is too good for you. That's what I look for in models. If they seem way too good for you, or past your level, then that's who you want.
Iris

Jul 03 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Is takes so long because the OP and other models run around for months looking the golden TFP.

Good things no cheap, cheap things no good.

Now AnnaBella,  since you were so impressed, did you PAY this photographer for his  excellent and PROFESSIONAL service?

Jul 03 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

modaphoto

Los Angeles, California, US

ANNABELLA wrote:
So I had a shoot today with a photographer and suddenly I realized half-way in that "wait a minute. This is a REAL photography in the making! This is what the professionals rave about! " Every detail about the shoot was given attention

And now you will never work with anything but good photographers.
Congradulations........... Isnt it a great feeling?

And now if you do work with some not so good ones, you will, like many things in this life, wish you had not.

Jul 03 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Very gratifying to hear......it's alway a good feeling, especially from a photographers viewpoint, that another person realizes the difference between producing good work and just taking pretty pictures.....

Jul 03 06 06:31 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

[sarcasm]what?...photographers are paying attention to "details"....??????

i thought it was our objective to separate the models from their clothing and  pay attention to thier b(o)(o)bies......[/sarcasm]

so i guess i have been doing it right....cool.

Jul 03 06 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

ANNABELLA wrote:

Be sure and let us all know when you add photos from this shoot to your portfolio!

I'm glad it went well for you.  Sometimes, everything just clicks.

Jul 03 06 08:39 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I had that experience during my last shoot lol. I'm very excited because i was disappointed prior.

Jul 03 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ANNABELLA wrote:
So I had a shoot today with a photographer and suddenly I realized half-way in that "wait a minute. This is a REAL photography in the making!

That's a great experience, and I'm very glad you had it.  (I certainly hope the pictures actually live up to the impression.)

So, to the next step:  was there something about the photographer or his portfolio that would allow you to find the next great photographer and avoid the not-so-great?

Jul 03 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
Now AnnaBella,  since you were so impressed, did you PAY this photographer for his  excellent and PROFESSIONAL service?

Jul 03 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Art Liem

ANNABELLA wrote:

What?!?! You mean he didn't spray and pray and say he can always fix it in Photoshop? What's the world coming to?

Art.

Jul 03 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Art Liem

Oh no, why did you go and rain on her parade like this? I bet ya HE paid for her. The sad truth be told.

Art.

Jul 03 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Or did you get lucky enough to find an artist with a passion for creating imagery, even if he has to invest some money to do it?

Jul 03 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

ANNABELLA wrote:

Business note:  This is the perfect time to name drop-- when you have something really nice to say about someone.  When this happens, shout REALLY loud who it was that did such a great job for you...

Jul 03 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Not to detract from the thread, but I find it interesting to point out that photographers have this same experience with models now and again :-)

More and more, I'm finding that the overlap of the two cultures is simply fascinating.

Good on you for having a great experience!

Jul 03 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

This would be the question de jour, hmm?

Jul 03 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Actually he approached me to be part of a project he was doing.

Jul 04 06 01:40 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TXPhotog wrote:
So, to the next step:  was there something about the photographer or his portfolio that would allow you to find the next great photographer and avoid the not-so-great?

Well his portfolio was amazing. You could look in it and know it wasn't just about having pretty pictures or models in it that made it the way it was.

Nothing was overly photoshopped which I've run into a lot before. I think I have learned that payin attention to detail is important. The lighting, the scenery and so on. Often times, us models will pay more attention to the  picture itself without breaking it down in parts when choosing a photographer. I'm learning not to do that anymore.

Jul 04 06 01:47 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

ANNABELLA wrote:

Actually he approached me to be part of a project he was doing.

HA-ha!
I love the photographers who make a point of angrily insisting that models who don't pay photographers are cheap/unprofessional/uncaring about their career/wouldn't know a good photo if it bit them on the ass/etc. I love even more when I see them bitching about not being able to find models, whining about their high flake rates, and when models with great ports point out that they don't pay for photographers, either.

Jul 04 06 01:51 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Daguerre wrote:
Business note:  This is the perfect time to name drop-- when you have something really nice to say about someone.  When this happens, shout REALLY loud who it was that did such a great job for you...

LOL! Oh no, I just can't. Actually the thing is he just emailed me saying he noticed the thread. Oh...if these cheeks could blush! smile

But he was actually thankful I didn't name names and I rather not...but it won't be hard to figure out once the new pics go up.

Jul 04 06 01:51 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Catriona wrote:

HA-ha!
I love the photographers who make a point of angrily insisting that models who don't pay photographers are cheap/unprofessional/uncaring about their career/wouldn't know a good photo if it bit them on the ass/etc. I love even more when I see them bitching about not being able to find models, whining about their high flake rates, and when models with great ports point out that they don't pay for photographers, either.

Yeah, I just noticed that too. You tell em Cationa!  smile

Jul 04 06 01:54 am Link