Forums > General Industry > Hi...err... I think...

Photographer

Ian Richardson

Gloucester, England, United Kingdom

Hi,

Just arrived at MM. I'm a pro photographer from England. I've been browsing the forums here and I'm surprised by how often the main topic seem to be a variant of how creepy photographers are, how terrible models are and how easily you can get into trouble with the law for taking pictures smile

Do I have a distorted view from a small sample of posts maybe?

Anyway, Hi from across the pond. There are some great images by models and photographers on MM.

Ian
Birmingham, England.

Jul 02 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Ian Richardson wrote:
Just arrived at MM. I'm a pro photographer from England. I've been browsing the forums here and I'm surprised by how often the main topic seem to be a variant of how creepy photographers are, how terrible models are and how easily you can get into trouble with the law for taking pictures smile

Nope...you've pretty much gotten the picture.  You're missing the part where BCG starts a thread that in some way relates to lesbians every few minutes.

Other topics of constant debate are:

Canon or Nikon - which camera clicks better?
Is size 6 too fat to model?
Is this a scam (yes it is...in fact it is the same scam as the post above)?
Is a gold reflector an acceptable background? (NO!

Jul 02 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Unfortunately that's pretty much what this forum is about, mutual distrust and paranoia.

Jul 02 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

James Jackson wrote:

Nope...you've pretty much gotten the picture.  You're missing the part where BCG starts a thread that in some way relates to lesbians every few minutes.

Jul 02 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Jim Ball wrote:

It's like a diamond mine--ya gotta pick through some dross, but there are plenty of gems in here.

It's also like a large, slightly dysfunctional family with a few eccentric uncles, dotty old maid aunts, and other assorted family members--but in general, a loveable bunch.

Don't forget... like any goofy clan-like group we instantly gang up on and reject those who don't fit in.  (seriously... it is hard not to fit in to this group, but the few who haven't don't stay long)

Jul 02 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Ian Richardson

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies - looks like I will have to just spend my time quietly picking up tips from the good guys then smile

I didn't pick up on the Canon / nikon thing because that one goes on everywhere!

I.

Jul 02 06 11:47 am Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

While all the above is true, it is important to note that there is also a lot of talent on both sides of the camera and a pleasant 'community' atmosphere that encourages many people to post into the thousands ...

I do know what other sites are like, as I also have portfolios on OMP, Net-Model, MuseCube, AMZ and others.

I have met and shot with photographers from MM, as well as enjoyed some very good discussions. I am selective in what I read and participate in the forums. If I am not interested, I let it pass.

I am based in London; however, I am currently leading a study tour in Japan.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Jul 02 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

akemi wrote:
I am based in London; however, I am currently leading a study tour in Japan.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Speaking of pleasant conversation how is the study tour going?  Curious what goes into that.

Jul 02 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Jim Ball wrote:

It's like a diamond mine--ya gotta pick through some dross, but there are plenty of gems in here.

It's also like a large, slightly dysfunctional family with a few eccentric uncles, dotty old maid aunts, and other assorted family members--but in general, a loveable bunch.

Can I be one of the crazy uncles? I've always liked that role.

Thanks.

Jul 02 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

James Jackson wrote:

Jul 02 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Nigel Aves Photography

Longmont, Colorado, US

Ian Richardson wrote:
Hi,

Anyway, Hi from across the pond. There are some great images by models and photographers on MM.

Ian
Birmingham, England.

Hello Ian from Birmingham,

I'm Nigel originally from Ringwood (Hants).

You forgot the other aspect and that's personal insults. There a pretty big group that believes "insults" and cutting direct attacks are all ok on MM, no matter how much they hurt the person they attack (typically a model). Of course this happens across any forum, but I was kind of hoping when I joined MM this would be different. How wrong I was.

Nigel

Nigel.

Jul 02 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Macabre World wrote:
You forgot the other aspect and that's personal insults. There a pretty big group that believes "insults" and cutting direct attacks are all ok on MM, no matter how much they hurt the person they attack (typically a model). Of course this happens across any forum, but I was kind of hoping when I joined MM this would be different.

Well...typically personal insults on MM are frowned on, and if you happen to insult someone who you don't personally know (or share a couple hundred common threads on the message board with) you may just be banned for a week or two (trust me I know first hand).

On the other hand, jibes and cutting remarks mixed with a bit of sarcasm are the humor of the new century...and how can anyone deny humor? big_smile

Jul 02 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

James Jackson wrote:

Well...typically personal insults on MM are frowned on, and if you happen to insult someone who you don't personally know (or share a couple hundred common threads on the message board with) you may just be banned for a week or two (trust me I know first hand).

On the other hand, jibes and cutting remarks mixed with a bit of sarcasm are the humor of the new century...and how can anyone deny humor? big_smile

Depends who you are.. Some people bend the limit pretty far with seeming inpunity..  I have a feeling this is what happens when mods throw there hands up and say "I ain't touching that one with a ten foot pole.."

Jul 02 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

akemi wrote:
While all the above is true, it is important to note that there is also a lot of talent on both sides of the camera and a pleasant 'community' atmosphere that encourages many people to post into the thousands ...

I do know what other sites are like, as I also have portfolios on OMP, Net-Model, MuseCube, AMZ and others.

I have met and shot with photographers from MM, as well as enjoyed some very good discussions. I am selective in what I read and participate in the forums. If I am not interested, I let it pass.

+1 I consider my experience here on MM quite pleasant, for the most part. I've met some great people through here, both in person and through private messaging, and have shot some wonderful models as well. I stay out of most forum topics (though I have still managed to hit 500+ posts; a near-record for me), ignoring anything unappealing to me (makes sense, don't it?).

This is the only portfolio site I care to be a part of; I've deleted my account from all the rest, save for solomodels.com as they have a real nice portfolio interface.

Welcome to MM big_smile

Jul 02 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The main point is that MM can be like a drug, there are many therapy threads for the addicted.

There is no cure for this affliction, so be prepared to get hooked smile

Jul 02 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Richardson

Well I must say that all you guys seem remarkably well-balanced, intelligent professionals - I was obviously hanging out with the wrong crowd wink

Thanks for the welcomes, I look forward to being a part of the mayhem!

Oh, BTW :

Canon, Yes, but only for lighting corrections, No, No, Yes, Maybe, Only if the model does it first, I never have, Sometimes, and my wife. Oh, and RAW.

There, I think I got it all over with in one go.

Jul 02 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Ian Richardson wrote:
Oh, BTW :

Canon, Yes, but only for lighting corrections, No, No, Yes, Maybe, Only if the model does it first, I never have, Sometimes, and my wife. Oh, and RAW.

There, I think I got it all over with in one go.

You're going to fit right in here!  Welcome. :-)

Jul 02 06 03:33 pm Link