Forums > General Industry > Photographers and quick tempers.

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Yikes.  A photographer contacted me via an ad I placed on Craigslist [but is also on MM and OMP] in which I was looking for paid work.  He told me that he usually gets paid for shoots, but he thought he might want to pay me.  He asked me what my rates are and asked me separately if I would be interested in edited images as part of my compensation.

I realise that he was asking that because he was wanting to make a deal to pay me less than my rate and give me some photos.  I have always gotten photos back from paid shoots, but right now I'm in a lot of debt and have decided that if a photographer doesn't want to give me any photos, that's okay with me.  But, this guy asked.  So this was my reply:

"...To answer your second question, of course I would be interested in edited images, but when I get images from a paid shoot, it is in addition to my usual rate.  Sometimes the photographer gives me images and sometimes he/she does not [note: that was a lie, because I have always gotten photos.  I know that photographers don't always do that, though, and I didn't want this guy to think I was full of myself].. As a paid model, it is a bonus to get images from a shoot for me. I model mostly to just-get-by financially, so that's why I only accept paying gigs.  But, if you are asking because youthink my rate may be too high then maybe we can work something out. "

I feel like that was a good reply.  I explained exactly what I do.  I told him I would love some images.  I mentioned that, if that was why he was asking, we could work something out.  His reply was:

"About the edited photos, what you're saying is that you'd be happy to accept them for nothing. In other words, they have no value. That won't lead to a photo shoot with me."

It really bothers me when I put a lot of thought into what I write and make sure to answer a person's question very thoroughly and effectively, and they don't really read it the way they're supposed to.  Of course I'd be happy to accept images for nothing!  Who wouldn't?!  But I wasn't expecting that or asking for that!  Geez.

The end.

Jul 01 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

It's a tough business...

We photographers get ignored, lied to, trashed for having opinions, we're never trusted, and every one of us is considered a pervy rapist in training.

Models get misunderstood, complained about, shafted for pay and pictures, yelled at, and poked and prodded.

every once in a while someone is going to over react...

Jul 01 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

There is no communication that can not be infinitely misread..

Our ability to forget that helps forge the idea that there is common ground..

What are your rates, anyway?

Jul 01 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Yikes.  A photographer contacted me via an ad I placed on Craigslist [but is also on MM and OMP] in which I was looking for paid work.  He told me that he usually gets paid for shoots, but he thought he might want to pay me.  He asked me what my rates are and asked me separately if I would be interested in edited images as part of my compensation.

I realise that he was asking that because he was wanting to make a deal to pay me less than my rate and give me some photos.  I have always gotten photos back from paid shoots, but right now I'm in a lot of debt and have decided that if a photographer doesn't want to give me any photos, that's okay with me.  But, this guy asked.  So this was my reply:

"...To answer your second question, of course I would be interested in edited images, but when I get images from a paid shoot, it is in addition to my usual rate.  Sometimes the photographer gives me images and sometimes he/she does not [note: that was a lie, because I have always gotten photos.  I know that photographers don't always do that, though, and I didn't want this guy to think I was full of myself].. As a paid model, it is a bonus to get images from a shoot for me. I model mostly to just-get-by financially, so that's why I only accept paying gigs.  But, if you are asking because youthink my rate may be too high then maybe we can work something out. "

I feel like that was a good reply.  I explained exactly what I do.  I told him I would love some images.  I mentioned that, if that was why he was asking, we could work something out.  His reply was:

"About the edited photos, what you're saying is that you'd be happy to accept them for nothing. In other words, they have no value. That won't lead to a photo shoot with me."

It really bothers me when I put a lot of thought into what I write and make sure to answer a person's question very thoroughly and effectively, and they don't really read it the way they're supposed to.  Of course I'd be happy to accept images for nothing!  Who wouldn't?!  But I wasn't expecting that or asking for that!  Geez.

The end.

My suggestion is to reply back to him and restate what you were saying.

To be honest I had to read it twice to see you were not trying to come of as as snob. I think the problem line was "To answer your second question, of course I would be interested in edited images, but when I get images from a paid shoot, it is in addition to my usual rate." The way I read that the first time it came off as you were trying to inflate yourself. So if he read that line like I did what you wrote after that was ignored.

Just a little miscommunication, no big deal and I think the shoot can be salvaged.

Jul 01 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Wynd,

In general when it is a paid shoot, the model is the one asking for pictures and the photographer saying yes or no... not the contrary where the photographer tries to have you "buy" stuff from him.

Move on to the next photographer. Don't worry, you guys did not agree on the deal that's it.

Jean-Philippe

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

P.S. it happens from the other side as well... Classic model/photographer exchange leading to unprofessionally ignored email:

James Jackson wrote:
Subject: Modeling Gig: Makeup/hair test

Hi XXX,

I got your email address from XXX after seeing you in his portfolio.  I have a shoot upcoming that I would like to find out if you're interested in being a part of.

The shoot will be a makeup/hair test shoot involving unique fashion hair and makeup designs which will be shot in close-up cropped images to echo scenes that we are shooting this coming week.  I'm planning the studio portion involving models for the second half of July, and would really like it if you would be willing to participate.

If you are interested please feel free to reply to this email or give me a call at 609 504 6762 and i'll be happy to discuss the project further with you.

Thank you,
James Jackson

Model wrote:
Sorry James, I dont do TFP work any longer. Good luck with your shoot

That was *IT* that was her whole reply!

(notice that I didn't mention TFP at all in my original message...but hey, why argue...)

James Jackson wrote:
Ok,

Well I do have another series that I am working on called the Geometry project.  You can see two of the images from the series thus far at http://www.raveneyes.com/geometry/

What are your rates?

-James

No response for the past five days to that last one...

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

it gets a little that way sometimes, i know i flew a model up to me, paid her hotel, her airfare, food and phone , and for the shoot, supplied a cd before she left of all images including 10 edited, got her a tearsheet, and when she arrived home first thing complained that i had not given her enough edited images, so i emailed another twenty edited images,  not enough apparently , her response to this was to have some one else edit my images, edited images  never even got mentioned at any stage, and yes i got pissed as well, fab model but i do not even open her email now.  accurate written communication is the only way past misunderstandings , very carefully written of course.

Jul 01 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
It's a tough business...

We photographers get ignored, lied to, trashed for having opinions, we're never trusted, and every one of us is considered a pervy rapist in training.

Models get misunderstood, complained about, shafted for pay and pictures, yelled at, and poked and prodded.

every once in a while someone is going to over react...

I know.  Sometimes I over react, but only in the forums.  When I'm talking to someone about scheduling a shoot, I am very careful not to say anything that would change their mind about doing it.  If I take something the person said the wrong way, I think about it for a while before replying and usually I end up understanding that they meant it differently.  Or I just ask "what did you mean by... "
Granted, he is offering to pay me, but I would assume that since he is offering to pay me, he actually wants to work with me.  It surprises me how he would just terminate the idea like that.

WG Rowland wrote:
There is no communication that can not be infinitely misread..

Our ability to forget that helps forge the idea that there is common ground..

What are your rates, anyway?

What you said is very true.  I'm just a little upset right now, but I'll get over it.  What could make me feel better than discussing it with strangers on an internet bulletin board?
Most of the work I do is for $50 an hour.

Jul 01 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

My suggestion is to reply back to him and restate what you were saying.

To be honest I had to read it twice to see you were not trying to come of as as snob. I think the problem line was "To answer your second question, of course I would be interested in edited images, but when I get images from a paid shoot, it is in addition to my usual rate." The way I read that the first time it came off as you were trying to inflate yourself. So if he read that line like I did what you wrote after that was ignored.

Just a little miscommunication, no big deal and I think the shoot can be salvaged.

I did.  Thanks.  smile.

Jul 01 06 04:40 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

*hands wynd a vegan cookie and a hug*
Don't worry about it at all.
Move on to the next shoot,

creative people can be a little touched in the head or in my case kicked hard.
miscomunications happen at times.

Jul 01 06 04:40 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Jean-Philippe Martin wrote:
Wynd,

In general when it is a paid shoot, the model is the one asking for pictures and the photographer saying yes or no... not the contrary where the photographer tries to have you "buy" stuff from him.

Move on to the next photographer. Don't worry, you guys did not agree on the deal that's it.

Jean-Philippe

Thanks for the advice.  However, we did not disagree on anything.  I told him that we could work something out if he wanted to pay me less and include some photos!

Jul 01 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
P.S. it happens from the other side as well... Classic model/photographer exchange leading to unprofessionally ignored email:

James Jackson wrote:
Subject: Modeling Gig: Makeup/hair test

Hi XXX,

I got your email address from XXX after seeing you in his portfolio.  I have a shoot upcoming that I would like to find out if you're interested in being a part of.

The shoot will be a makeup/hair test shoot involving unique fashion hair and makeup designs which will be shot in close-up cropped images to echo scenes that we are shooting this coming week.  I'm planning the studio portion involving models for the second half of July, and would really like it if you would be willing to participate.

If you are interested please feel free to reply to this email or give me a call at 609 504 6762 and i'll be happy to discuss the project further with you.

Thank you,
James Jackson

Model wrote:
Sorry James, I dont do TFP work any longer. Good luck with your shoot

That was *IT* that was her whole reply!

(notice that I didn't mention TFP at all in my original message...but hey, why argue...)

No response for the past five days to that last one...

That's very interesting.  I guess it happens very often.  So, what's worse, someone responding without really reading your message or someone not responding at all?  Anyway.. I would say it's her loss, of course. 

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
it gets a little that way sometimes, i know i flew a model up to me, paid her hotel, her airfare, food and phone , and for the shoot, supplied a cd before she left of all images including 10 edited,got her a tearsheet, and when she arrived home first thing complained that i had not given her enough edited images. edited images never even got mentioned at any stage, and yes i got pissed as well, fab model but i do not even open her email now.

Wow!  I find myself at a loss of words trying to express how ridiculous she acted.  I'm glad you had a good time working together and the complaining was only after she got home.

Jul 01 06 04:45 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

Thanks!
I know, you're right.  It just hadn't really happened to me before and something that's always upset me is when people assume things.. I guess I need to get used to it.

Jul 01 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

A VEGAN COOKIE.. *smh*  I may have to rethink that invite to my kitchen.. LMAO

Jul 01 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

James Jackson wrote:
The shoot will be a makeup/hair test shoot...

James, that's where she stopped reading. As soon as the words "test shoot" crossed her eyes, she shot you the response - I'd lay money on it.

Jul 01 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
it gets a little that way sometimes, i know i flew a model up to me, paid her hotel, her airfare, food and phone , and for the shoot, supplied a cd before she left of all images including 10 edited, got her a tearsheet, and when she arrived home first thing complained that i had not given her enough edited images, so i emailed another twenty edited images,  not enough apparently , her response to this was to have some one else edit my images, edited images  never even got mentioned at any stage, and yes i got pissed as well, fab model but i do not even open her email now.  accurate written communication is the only way past misunderstandings , very carefully written of course.

My guess is that after doing everything, but carry her from her home to your studio on your back, she thought she could just slap you around whenever (and for whatever purpose) pleased her at the moment....

John

Jul 01 06 06:01 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I wrote back to his e-mail explaining exactly what I meant, and he wrote back saying "I'll pass for now, thanks."

So, maybe it wasn't really a miscommunication.  Maybe it was a photographer over-reacting.

Jul 01 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

The end.

I think you are overreacting.

Look for ways to make money-not have problems making money.

Remember-the customer is always right.

Keep the attitude out, and the accomodation in...if you want the revenue.

Jul 01 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

studio L wrote:

I don't really understand your comments, as it's clear to myself and all but one person, other than you I suppose, who has replied to this thread, that I had no "attitude" while dealing with this person, and I was trying to accomodate him.  See: "we can work something out."
..I was waiting for his reply to that, which ideally and reasonably would have been him making an offer that I more than likely would have accepted.

[edit] Also.. he didn't give me links to his portfolio here or anywhere else until AFTER the e-mails mentioned had been exchanged.  He could have been lying for all I knew.  And when he declined my offer, he sent me examples of his work.  It was too late to be even more kind, reasonable and professional once I saw how great his work is.

Jul 01 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

I pay a model I do not give images.  A model pays me I give images.  I always hold the copyright.

Jul 01 06 06:14 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Scott Evans wrote:
I pay a model I do not give images.  A model pays me I give images.  I always hold the copyright.

There is nothing wrong with that.  I don't expect images from everyone who pays me.

Jul 01 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Scott Evans wrote:

Well, that's you, and as someone who has done this gig from several different sides I must say there are as many varied responses to whether or not a model gets copies of the pics as there are models and photographers.... Heck, the answer sometimes changes model to model with some photographers!

Jul 01 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
So, what's worse, someone responding without really reading your message or someone not responding at all?

Well, since this was both I couldn't honestly tell you which part cheesed me off worse.  I try to keep it a little professional and not lay it all out directly to the model in question in a scathing fiery retort comparing her to some part of a pig's anatomy, but every once in a while it feels good to vent.

I suppose the no response at all is a bit worse though.  If someone asks me does a girl who responds model I'd have to say yes. If my email about a same gig goes completely ignored then my only guess is that those models don't actually model at all.

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Anyway.. I would say it's her loss, of course.

Mind if I take that as a compliment? big_smile

Jul 01 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

I don't really understand your comments, as it's clear to myself and all but one person, other than you I suppose, who has replied to this thread, that I had no "attitude" while dealing with this person, and I was trying to accomodate him.  See: "we can work something out."
..I was waiting for his reply to that, which ideally and reasonably would have been him making an offer that I more than likely would have accepted.

[edit] Also.. he didn't give me links to his portfolio here or anywhere else until AFTER the e-mails mentioned had been exchanged.  He could have been lying for all I knew.  And when he declined my offer, he sent me examples of his work.  It was too late to be even more kind, reasonable and professional once I saw how great his work is.

Wynd...your attitude (which is not the subject of my response btw) is in your thread title:

"Photographers and quick tempers."

"Quick temper"? um.....where?

All I read was his displeasure with your correspondence. Pretty simple that.

Your labeling of him illustrates the "attitude" to which I partly refer.

He didn't like your approach, and he exited. You clearly have a problem with that.

That is attitude.

Your thread title speaks a volume (to me anyway), and you have decided to place it in a public forum...the context on the photographer is clearly negative.

That is attitude.

And listen, it does not matter if I am the only one saying so (an interesting response attitude of your choosing in itself)...you didn't ask for opinions consistent with the norm here....you asked for discourse on the subject. You have mine accordingly. Ignore it if you like-and all the power to you! But taking the tack of 'it is clear to everyone except studio L" (loose paraphrasing=mine)...is exemplary of the very attitude of which I speak.

Read Dale Carnegie on the subject of customer's (him) and vendors (you).

You might be amazed at what you learn, and it is the basis for my original comments to you, which you state you do not understand.

As you know, I think you are quite worth hiring-and I am trying to help you here, not bust your chops. I wish you only success.

But good advice isn't always common, fun to hear, or cheap.

Read Carnegie-he wrote the book on what besets you in this situation.

You'll see.

Peace.

Jul 01 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

There is nothing wrong with that.  I don't expect images from everyone who pays me.

Scott Evans states my ethic cleanly and simply.

I don't think you should be "expecting" them from anyone, unless it is part of the prenegotiated deal.

Simple.

Jul 01 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

I have to agree with Studio L, your title was misleading, and the only reason I looked at the thread to start with.

As far as you situation goes if you are a professional model with a strong enough portfolio that you do not need images to update your book right now perhaps a simpler answer to the photographer could have gone along the lines of...

'Thank you, if you wish to include some edited photographs from the shoot I would be most grateful however I am not in a position right now where I can accept images as payment'

Clear, to the point and polite without sounding quite as snoby as your initial response.

The main problem in our industry is untill you have worked with someone, you do not know their thinking, their tone, their habits so an IM can be so easily missinterpreted that I personally feel they need to be short and to the point at all times.

A case of missinterpretation:

A model posted a call saying she and two friends will be in NY in the near future to see the sights and were hoping to pick up a gig or two whilst here.

I was looking for a couple of girls to act as tourists at the main sights in Manhattan for a personal project.

I offered to shoot them for a day (Unpaid / TFP) but also act as their tour guide and take them to see all the key sights of Manhattan.

They get someone that knows the town well, can show them around and also some shots of their trip by a proffesional photographer for the day.  I get to shoot my project.

She writes back to me that it's a great offer she will run it by her friends and thinks they will be quite interested and also that they were hoping to get some paying gigs whilst here to have some spending cash in their pockets.  (I fully understand)

I wrote back (in jest) that perhaps they could pay me so I would have some spending cash too!

She did not see the humor (I guess it wasn't funny) and replied that she was sorry she had missunderstod, she thought I was offering TFP (which I was) and knew that her friends would not be willing to pay for a photographer on top of trip expenses also.

You see the missunderstanding?

It took a lengthy reply to simply explain what I thought to be a humorous light hearted comment. If I hadn't made the comment there would have been no confusion. I hope to shoot with them next week.

From now on I keep it simple to the point and short untill I have met them and we have a better personal understanding of each others thought processes.

Good luck, Darren.

Jul 01 06 07:17 pm Link

Model

Jane Weiss

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

i feel bad for her. i have had much nastier then this and things not nasty at all that have made me lose my rag.

i just try not to name and shame and i lose my rag on msn instead of on here... offloading on friends is easier then on industry types who want discussion and opinion.

people forget that the forums are public domain sometimes.

i know i do.

Jul 01 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

studio L wrote:

Bingo!

The way I read into the conversation it indicates that she balked at his offer, and he said nevermind. Basically, he just said "Next". He probably found another model who was more accomodating and less of a hassle.

This is what happens when you try to play hardball.

Perhaps a better response would have been, "I'm open to your ideas. What do you have in mind?" Instead of going into a long spiel.

Instead, you tried to wiggle more out of him than he was willing to give and now you've lost the gig. Now you get to sit at home and make no money. But, while you're sitting at home making no money, perhaps you can search for your next paying shoot.

Welcome to the wide world of sales.

Jul 01 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I think you photographers blasting her are being hard asses.  So she didn't want his stupid photos in lieu of cash.   She said, lets see what we can work out.   He got his little panties in a wad that she wasn't fawning over his work and reducing her rates.   Was his name Bruce Weber?  Was he the ghost of Herb Ritts?  In other words, could she take his photos and hand them over to her landlord for rent?   If not, and the woman has bills, and she said "MAYBE we can work something out..."  He didn't want to try and work something out, instead he threw a hissy fit.  The reality probably is that he probably doesn' t have models paying him, he probably sucks and can't get TFP, and he has to resort to paying models and he's cheap and doesn't want to pay full price. Maybe he is the world's next best thing.

But she SAID LETS see what we can work out in negotiating fees.  A normal person, would say to that, "yes, lets."

What more are you expecting her to do?

Jul 01 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

At the end of the day, photographers are just as much a bunch of babies as models are. You hurt his feelings, no biggy ... move on.

Jul 01 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

studio L wrote:

I think you have read too many self help gurus.

She said, "if you think my rate may be too high then maybe we can work something out."

How much more accomodating should she be short of bending over?

Jul 01 06 09:42 pm Link