Photographer

Enriquez Photo

Ricardo Palma, Lima Provincias, Peru

I just clicked on the banner of Egami Vivid www.egamivivid.com, a "top shelf" studio... they are charging $2200 for a 12 photo modeling portfolio (which includes 3 photographers)...is it me or this way way overpriced? Maybe I am not charging enough?
Dan

Jun 30 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Uhmm... take a look at their "model shots".  $2200??  Uhhh.... no...

Jun 30 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Julian King

Houston, Texas, US

$2200 for THAT?
They are on crack...

Jun 30 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Enriquez Photo

Ricardo Palma, Lima Provincias, Peru

Thank you for your responses... at least I know now it wasn't only me smile
Dan

Jun 30 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

QM Photography

Manassas, Virginia, US

Is anyone else getting a really wide page with repetition and ports waaay off to the right?  It seems to be really poorly planned.

Jun 30 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

Damn!  I guess I should team up with the other guy in town and start chsrging something!

Jun 30 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

Art Schotz wrote:
Damn!  I guess I should team up with the other guy in town and start chsrging something!

Lets go Art, together we'll charge, $1800, even do 18pictues for that price. What do you say? Better yet, lets get 10 photographers together and we'll charge $20,000, cause if it takes three to be that professional, then 10 photographers means it must be super professional!

My favorite line from that page was

Egami Vivid wrote:
You should always shoot with more then one photographer.

All this time I was doing it wrong, I figured I was good enough by myself. I bet a lot of us have been making such an "unprofessional" choice and only doing our pictures with one photographer.

Jun 30 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I see Phineas Taylor Barnum is still right, that a sucker is born every minute smile

Jul 01 06 01:51 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

What's even scarier is the very real possibility that someone has said yes.

Jul 01 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Photo Girl Raquel

Canby, Minnesota, US

Wow, um ya. Sure makes me feel a lot better about the half ass stuff I turn out sometimes...;-)

Jul 01 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Pros start at $650.00 plus ......ask Udo R.... for 4 to 6 hours......If you shoot 150 head shots for a future actor and he lands a $300,000 part, Is it worth $850.00 for some good head shots ?

Manny D.

Jul 01 06 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Visage Photography wrote:
$2200 for THAT?
They are on crack...

Just goes to show, you have to act like you know what you’re doing and that it doesn't hurt to ask for what you think your worth.

Jul 01 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Just goes to show, you have to act like you know what you’re doing and that it doesn't hurt to ask for what you think your worth.

The Point as clear as it gets !!!!!!

Manny D.

Jul 01 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

S1studio

Union City, California, US

All the models on this site want the photographer to pay them, or they want TFP/TFCD.
How can so many photographers be shooting for free?

Jul 01 06 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Manny Desalamanca wrote:
If you shoot 150 head shots for a future actor ...

is that, uh,..., over time? if so, how long? i mean, why would an actor need 150 headshots?

just curious,
FML

Jul 01 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Think Manny must have meant 150 shots to get one good head shot...
Hey, films have more than one camera going at once to insure coverage, perhaps it's a bold new innovation for photography!

Jul 01 06 05:09 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

FML-Photography wrote:
is that, uh,..., over time? if so, how long? i mean, why would an actor need 150 headshots?

just curious,
FML

To make a flip book so you have an animated portrait.  smile

Jul 01 06 05:18 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
To make a flip book so you have an animated portrait.  smile

A few years ago, some guys invented this thing called video . . . wink

Jul 01 06 05:20 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

VirtuaMike wrote:
A few years ago, some guys invented this thing called video . . . wink

But you don't get that cool flipping sound!

Jul 01 06 05:22 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

But you don't get that cool flipping sound!

I'll make it and you can dub it in. Flip flip flip flip . . . .

Jul 01 06 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

FML-Photography wrote:
why would an actor need 150 headshots?

starphotography wrote:
Think Manny must have meant 150 shots to get one good head shot...

150 attempts? to get one? are you kidding me? what's wrong with that??? ...

... but yeah, i know those photographers who go out & fire off like cards & cards of pix, only to edit for a few which are acceptable. even know one photographer who shoots in movie mode (?) and then edits for "the one". sigh.

FML

Jul 01 06 05:34 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

FML-Photography wrote:
even know one photographer who shoots in movie mode (?) and then edits for "the one". sigh.

FML

Please tell me you're kidding... hahahaha

Nothing like editing a 640x480(if your lucky) compressed video captured still.

Eeeesh!

-PKD

Jul 01 06 05:38 am Link

Model

Melissa Fong

YES, It is overpriced for the modeling shoots.  Honestly, I know amature photographers who takes alot better quality shots than that. 

My opinion - it is modeling shots - not body shots, he has pictures in that portfolio with model's head cut off in the photographs which I don't think is that great.

It just looks like a guy with an camera shooting pictures, nothing very amazing.

Jul 01 06 05:58 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Uhmm... take a look at their "model shots".  $2200??  Uhhh.... no...

Uhhh... yes... a whole day's work +++

*  A shooting script – written ideas for each picture
  *  Storyboards – a sketched out line of the shot
  *  Original photo ideas – from the simple to the extreme
  *  Several locations – not just in the studio
  *  A make-up artist [couple of hundred bucks]
  *  A hair stylist [another couple of hundred bucks]
  *  A set designer [still another couple of hundred bucks]
  *  A wardrobe stylist [and still another couple of hundred bucks]

3 PHOTOGRAPHERS – [a day rate x 3]

12 picture set-ups $ 2200
14 picture set-ups $ 2562
16 picture set-ups $ 2928

* This price does not include the price of prints. = [my estimate from experience] $30 - 45 EACH FULLY CORRECTED AND SPOTTED COLOUR PAPER PRINT IN A PRO LAB.

FRANKLY? They are making a profit or they wouldn't be doing it BUT: 1) not as much as you models seem to think; and 2) any photographer doing the same, and applying the SAME level of resources, for a lot less, or free, is fooling themselves big time.

Even working by myself [being only ONE photographer] I couldn't do it for under ca 1200 - 1400 if I also had to hire in an MUA; hair stylist; wardrobe/fashion stylist; and a set designer; cover my overheads; and make a profit.

I just last week priced out, for a client, a "low-budget" 1 day promotional video shoot for a band [not very different from a stills shoot; up to the point of actually shooting it cost is still cost like-for-like] and with location costs [800/day for the studio alone - including lighting; rigging and 3 cameras - but no crew]; hair; make-up; costumes/stylist; and set design and construction - NOT INCLUDING the shooting crew - the cost was close to 3 grand for that alone. The whole project came in at ca 18 grand NOT including post-production. AND THAT'S DEAD CHEEP! In this case we aren't even budgeting dancers... or shooting it like a standard music video... just a straight band promo. If that was the case, getting in 5 - 20 dancers, you could tack on another 5 - 8 grand [including paid rehearsal time and a rehersal hall to do it in]

Time to kick some of you... models AND photographers... into reality. IT'S A FRIGGEN BUSINESS some of us are in not a hobby!

Studio36

Jul 01 06 06:30 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Are they kidding???.....overpriced is putting mildly....

And they should find themselves another web page designer.....one of the cardinal rules of building web pages....NEVER, NEVER  make it so large that viewers must scroll sideways......up and down is acceptable......but NOT over and over and over.....must be something in the air in Venice???

Jul 01 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Are they kidding???.....overpriced is putting mildly....

And they should find themselves another web page designer.....one of the cardinal rules of building web pages....NEVER, NEVER  make it so large that viewers must scroll sideways......up and down is acceptable......but NOT over and over and over.....must be something in the air in Venice???

No, they are not kidding.

Studio36

Jul 01 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

The price for what they are doing ranges from competitive to cheap. Whether or not you like the results of what they are doing is another question.

Jul 01 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

studio36uk wrote:

* This price does not include the price of prints. = [my estimate from experience] $30 - 45 EACH FULLY CORRECTED AND SPOTTED COLOUR PAPER PRINT IN A PRO LAB.

FRANKLY? They are making a profit or they wouldn't be doing it BUT: 1) not as much as you models seem to think; and 2) any photographer doing the same, and applying the SAME level of resources, for a lot less, or free, is fooling themselves big time.

Even working by myself [being only ONE photographer] I couldn't do it for under ca 1200 - 1400 if I also had to hire in an MUA; hair stylist; wardrobe/fashion stylist; and a set designer; cover my overheads; and make a profit.

I just last week priced out, for a client, a "low-budget" 1 day promotional video shoot for a band [not very different from a stills shoot; up to the point of actually shooting it cost is still cost like-for-like] and with location costs [800/day for the studio alone - including lighting; rigging and 3 cameras - but no crew]; hair; make-up; costumes/stylist; and set design and construction - NOT INCLUDING the shooting crew - the cost was close to 3 grand for that alone. The whole project came in at ca 18 grand NOT including post-production. AND THAT'S DEAD CHEEP! In this case we aren't even budgeting dancers... or shooting it like a standard music video... just a straight band promo. If that was the case, getting in 5 - 20 dancers, you could tack on another 5 - 8 grand [including paid rehearsal time and a rehersal hall to do it in]

Time to kick some of you... models AND photographers... into reality. IT'S A FRIGGEN BUSINESS some of us are in not a hobby!

Studio36

Very well written post.  I couldn't agree with you more.  It's one thing to be a hobby photographer and pay for everything out of your own pocket as a cost of the hobby, and quite another to run a business and have enough left over at then of the day to pay the morgage and put food on the table.

Jul 01 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

Having been in the film industry, I can contest that this is not only true, but to say that the grand opening of the Morongo project that I worked on was an 8 mil project.

As for the 2200 bucks. If in deed they are story boarding and customizing each shoot, then I can see it and know they are not making a killing on these shoots.

Jul 01 06 05:25 pm Link

Model

Duchess of Mars

Beverly Hills, California, US

Visage Photography wrote:
$2200 for THAT?
They are on crack...

Yeah...I've seen huge name photographers charge about $1400 for a portfolio...which is more than a lot of photographers out there.

Jul 01 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Doug Harvey wrote:
Having been in the film industry, I can contest that this is not only true, but to say that the grand opening of the Morongo project that I worked on was an 8 mil project.

As for the 2200 bucks. If in deed they are story boarding and customizing each shoot, then I can see it and know they are not making a killing on these shoots.

Well, in the big names a simple "run of the song" music vid nowadays runs on the order of 1 - 1.5 mil though some are spending a lot more on them. For the new groups they will spend more in line with my proposal. 2200 extra for the stills and headshots is peanuts.

Studio36

Jul 01 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

studio36uk wrote:

Well, in the big names a simple "run of the song" music vid nowadays runs on the order of 1 - 1.5 mil though some are spending a lot more on them. For the new groups they will spend more in line with my proposal. 2200 extra for the stills and headshots is peanuts.

Studio36

I'm sure your right. It's been a little over a year since I worked that project and things are not getting cheaper.

Jul 01 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

My point being... the quality of the images.  If you were a model.. would you be happy paying $2200 for those images?

I'm not a pro by any means but I could throw an entire army of MUA's/Stylists/Hair at a model and still take sh*tty pictures.  Is that army justifying me charging $2200?

Don't think so.

-PKD

Jul 01 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

the question is not about the price but the quality..... i check the site n  i must say... its not that great...  IF U ASKING OVER $2000 I EXPECT $2000 WORTH OF QUALITY.......... its not rocket science.... its like flying with usairwaiys vs united i know what i am paying for...... AM I ALONE HERE!!!!!!

Jul 01 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

WATCHA TALKING ABOUT !!! THEY DO WEB DESIGN AS WELLL

Jul 01 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Darkside Photography

Hanover, Pennsylvania, US

Definitely poor web page planning.  If they do web design as well I would seriously be worried.  But then again what do you expect from the land of 'Fruits and Nuts'.

I wasn't even able to get further on the site so was unable to see any of the model photos. 

I would love to find someone else around me here in Pa who would be interested in starting a studio and charging that much for model ports.

Jul 01 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Active Lifestyle Photo

Laguna Niguel, California, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
And they should find themselves another web page designer.....one of the cardinal rules of building web pages....NEVER, NEVER  make it so large that viewers must scroll sideways

You're expected to NOT have your window maximized and never know those other "panes" are even there. They built all their "pages" on a single html page and the the interface automatically scrolls to the appropriate page based on the link you clicked. You're not supposed to scroll, dammit... bad user, no cookie for you :-D

Yeah that's a first. I've never seen a site built like that. I guess I can see where they're trying to make it respond quickly to user input by pre-loading all the pages at once and having the UI auto-scroll over instead of making another round trip to the server to load a new page... but that's pretty dang unconventional and prone to user confusion.

Oh well. Always a new way to skin the cat. As long as they're having fun with it that's all that matters :-)

Jul 01 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Gee....I guess I'll have to back to my HTML class and have the instructor..byte me...LOL

Jul 01 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

SteveG

Overland Park, Kansas, US

I wasn't able to find the charge for $2200.00...probably because their site doesn't work well with Safari. Anyway..I didn't see a $2200.00 dollar a day photographer when I looked at their site. I'm also guessing that for that fee they dont' spend the whole day. Even if they did ( and added in the cost of a makeup artist) it is still not worth the price (in my opinion).

Jul 01 06 11:42 pm Link