Forums > General Industry > Do You Announce Your Upcoming Shoots?

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've seen some models list dates of shoots and who they're working with in their profile page. Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Just wondering if there was any benefit other than showing that you are in demand or active in working.

Or, on the other side, does it give others an invitation to email that model/photographer and say "Don't work with so-and-so! He/she is a flake/pervert/scumbag!"

Jun 30 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I announce casting calls and personal projects, but not specifics about who is doing what and when in my portfolio.  No need for most people to know my business...if they're curious to be part of a particular project they'll ask for more info.

Jun 30 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Carl Snider

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Nah, too time consuming for me. It's all I can do to keep my profile updated with my latest shoots, much less what I may be doing a month from now.

Jun 30 06 11:06 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I list the big projects or traveling scedual I do not have time to list all my shoots I'd go crazy keeping up with lists and not shooting.

Jun 30 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Starstruck Foto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shooting celebrity publicity/portraits almost never. A few years back a stylist leaked that I was going to be shooting the Spice Girls on a certain date to a gossip columnist and sure enough it made the paper-at 7.00am I had about about 20 young girls literally camped out in front on my storefront studio door.Their management was really pissed the shoot date and place was leaked-thus they cancelled it,costing me what would have been a really sweet gig.

Jun 30 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

For scheduling purposes yes. Don't wanna double book.

Jun 30 06 02:24 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I advertise photographers I'll be working with to redirect traffic from my blog to their sites in appreciation.

It also helps me keep my schedule in mind.

Jun 30 06 03:19 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I mostly just put up my travel dates to fill in the gaps I have open.   But I have some friends that post their calendars for shooting along with people for reasons such as Josie stated and I think it's whatever works for you!

Jun 30 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Do You Announce Your Upcoming Shoots?

uh,..., to whom?

you mean here on the MM Board? on my profile? (neither of those)

for me, basically the only people who need to know are those participating from hair, makeup, and wardrobe ... and myself; LOL!

FML

Jun 30 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Do You Announce Your Upcoming Shoots?

Like clockwork... on top of the MM page... every month... wink

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

I can see that by announcing shoots you make yourself seem busy and more profitable, and get more shoots.

I tend to give vague ideas of what I'm upto. Like Monday, I'm shooting Zombies!

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Sure.  MY next Trip shoot will be to Moab Utah.  11-15 Sept.  I will have Seattle Model Yulia and Georgia model Ami S.  See my site if you want to join us. 

See how simple that was. bs

Jun 30 06 06:51 pm Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
I've seen some models list dates of shoots and who they're working with in their profile page. Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Just wondering if there was any benefit other than showing that you are in demand or active in working.

Or, on the other side, does it give others an invitation to email that model/photographer and say "Don't work with so-and-so! He/she is a flake/pervert/scumbag!"

I post travel notices and list other activities if I think that people may be interested. As a lecturer of Japanese culture, I am sometimes able to make opportunities for photographers to take behind the scenes pictures of cultural events or get access to normally private locations (such as deep within Shinto Shrines, private gardens and houses, and collections of Japanese artifacts.

For example :-

From the 14th to 19th June I did seven photoshoots in Washington DC and surrounding areas. I posted a general travel notice about a month in advance; however, the only people who knew about the detailed plans in the week before they happened where the photographers and fellow models taking part.

From 26th June to 6th July I am in Japan (from where I am making this posting). As I am leading a study tour, it was important to tell potential participants about it well in advance, so I made sure that it was mentioned on my website and in lots of other places. I am also doing an ongoing blog of the activity.

In the days after I return to the UK I have photoshoots on 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th July, as well as lectures on 7th, 11th and 13th. None of these have been announced by me, but the lecture on the 13th has been heavily promoted by the host society in Sussex.

I normally don't announce specific photoshoots before they happen, as it would not serve any practical purpose. But I do tell people when I put up new pictures, so that they know to look and as a way of giving appropriate credit to all the people involved.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Jun 30 06 07:11 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I recently put a link to an online calendar, so before approaching me someone can have an idea of days that are/aren't available. This is something I originally kept for myself, but made public after having a couple photographers act as if I'm avoiding shoots.

Its worked well for me so far, its also great to make sure I don't double book.

To be honest, I never thought of announcing upcoming shoots in order to have people "warn" me against photographers, but if someone did that, its not a bad idea. Even for photographers to recieve warnings on possible no-shows.

Jun 30 06 07:24 pm Link