Forums > General Industry > NEED HELP! hate what the stylist came up with!

Photographer

Kinga LB

Brooklyn, New York, US

So Im supposed to shoot tomorrow and I told the stylist what kind of look I was going for. She sent me snapshots of the outfits she came up with and I hate them! They're not REALLY what I was expecting and I feel they'll hurt the photos. What can I do? Even if I whip up some outfits by tomorrow, I cant tell this girl that she has horrible taste and I dont want to work with her.

Jun 26 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If she has horrible taste, why are you working with her?

Jun 26 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Gettler

Pueblo, Colorado, US

Be up front and honest.  Tell the stylist it isn't what you were looking for, and than restate your orginal idea.  Give them a chance to correct it... if they can in the short period of time.

It isn't you have to tell someone they have poor taste.  They just didn't show what you were looking for.  Nothing wrong with that.

Just use some common curtesy, say thanx but no thanx. It isn't what I was looking for.

Jun 26 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kinga LB

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thats the problem..I dont want to...I didnt realize she was going to come up with such ugly outfits.

Jun 26 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Just tell her she misundestood your direction.....and thanks for the offer but no thanks.....if she's an adult....that should be enough.....

...if I go in a different direction other than what my clients wants.....they tell me quick enough.....next time I will do better.....but I don't cry about.....I improve my communications with that client.

Jun 26 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Kinga Lewicka wrote:
Thats the problem..I dont want to...I didnt realize she was going to come up with such ugly outfits.

If you're paying her, and you're willing to shell out money to keep from hurting her feelings.. uh.. that's not a trend you want to start.

If you're not paying her, tell her those outfits don't fit your vision. Don't mention the crappy taste. Ask her to get something better, per your approval, or wish her luck on her next shoot.

Or send her a link to this thread. You know, either way.

Jun 26 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Kinga LB

Brooklyn, New York, US

littlegett wrote:
Be up front and honest.  Tell the stylist it isn't what you were looking for, and than restate your orginal idea.  Give them a chance to correct it... if they can in the short period of time.

It isn't you have to tell someone they have poor taste.  They just didn't show what you were looking for.  Nothing wrong with that.

Just use some common curtesy, say thanx but no thanx. It isn't what I was looking for.

Theres no way she can come up with 4 more outfits by tomorrow morning. And I just feel so horrible saying I dont want you to work with me on this shoot. Should I just bite my tounge and see how it turns out..and hope that the models will do a good enough job to make the clothes look decent?
It's just that it looks like she went through her own old clothes and put some things together.

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Why not? I sure as hell would! big_smile

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Kinga Lewicka wrote:
...I hate them! They're not REALLY what I was expecting...

That's exactly what you need to tell her.  Then send her snapshotf of what you were expecting.

Jun 26 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Kinga LB

Brooklyn, New York, US

See I DID send her photos of what I wanted...but she I GUESS looked through her drawers and found what she thought resembles it. She took the snapshots of the wardrobe on herself...they fit her just right, so I REALLY think its just he rown clothes.

Is it really bad to lie and say the shoot was cancelled?

Jun 26 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

You can

a) hold your tongue and go ahead and shoot it against your better judgement.

or...

b) you can let the stylist know that it isn't what you have in mind.

Be glad you got a heads up.  You don't always get that much.

Realize that the final output is on you.  You have to answer for the photo that's taken; no matter who else is on the creative team.  If you shoot it, you're essentially saying that you're okay with it (otherwise you wouldn't have taken the photo).  Photos that suck fall on you.  If the outfits aren't appropriate for the theme, then say that so she can make them appropriate.  Be more specific about what you need.  Give her visual references is you have to.  Again, the final image is your responsibility.

Think of it this way:  if this is for a client (and it very well could be) who has relayed what they need to you... and you go ahead and shoot knowing that they won't like it... when you bring them the results, they're going to eat your lunch. 

Think you're going to keep that client after that?

Jun 26 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Kinga Lewicka wrote:

DON'T lie!  She'll never learn if you sugarcoat this.  If she really wants to work as a stylist, she'll have to get used to rejection.  Just like models and photographers have to get used to rejection.  Which would you rather do:  tell her the truth and risk never working with her, or lie and waste your time, her time and the models' time to get crappy photos that none of you can use because the wardrobe didn't work?

Jun 26 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Thomasio

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

> See I DID send her photos of what I wanted...but she I GUESS looked through her drawers and found what she thought resembles it.

If she really just took things out of drawers, maybe she *can* come up with 4 different outfits for tomorrow. ?

T.

Jun 26 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Kinga Lewicka wrote:
Should I just bite my tounge and see how it turns out..and hope that the models will do a good enough job to make the clothes look decent?

Kinga Lewicka wrote:

Holy shit!!!  NNOOooooOOoOoOOO!!!!

Are you kidding?!  Do NOT bite your tongue and "hope" for the best.  Don't lie, either.  The latter is of poor taste & unprofessional and the former is arguably so, as well.  Don't be "nice" when your image integrity is on the line.  Perhaps you want to spare her feelings, but producing poor imagery will waste everyone's time.  That will hurt your feelings. 

She's got 24 hours.  Getting 4 outfits that fit your needs in 24 hours can be done...

Jun 26 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Snider

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Since she is choosing the clothes and you chose her, I assume this is not a client paid shoot. Are you paying her? If so, than you should have no issues whatsoever about redirecting her efforts or taking a pass. If it is a test shoot, what made you choose her in the first place, you must have thought she had some merit to invest your time into working with her. Based on the "snapshots" that she sent, do you feel your initial assessment was in error? If so, let her know and take a pass. If not, maybe the snapshots aren't doing her ideas justice and maybe your collaborative efforts (photographer, model, stylist, MUA) will make a silk purse out of a perceived sow's ear. Isn't that the whole point of "testing" with people?

Any way you go, I would just suggest being honest and professional. If she doesn't appreciate the feedback, and collaborative process, she probably isn't somebody you would want to work with anyway.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Jun 26 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
If she has horrible taste, why are you working with her?

Kinga, if I raed your thread correctly, and I like to think I did you found out about her taste AFTER she sent you the snap shots of your specific idea? 

I would confront her, tell her, and make sure you have communicated your vision clearly.  I work with a stylist here in Hosuton, I lover her to death but we have worked really hard on our communication, it is vital to the success of a shoot.

Jun 26 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kinga LB

Brooklyn, New York, US

Oh man....I know I know. I hate it when you people are right!

I mean I dont....but you know what I mean...now I gotta go do the right thing and hurt her feelings...damn morals.

Alright Thanks all!

Jun 26 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Kinga Lewicka wrote:
...now I gotta go do the right thing and hurt her feelings...

This is not about feelings.  It's just business...

Jun 26 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

This is the hard part of collaboration. You must be professional, the photos come first. It is your shoot, you cannot make good work from something you hate to look at. You must be honest and very professional with the stylist. Otherwise, this is HER shoot and you are just a button-pusher working a camera.

Jun 26 06 10:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Be honest with her.

If it is a test, there is no "pity" shooting. If you aren't going to get something you can use, don't do it. But on the flip side, don't be a dick and not let the stylist get something they want.

She probably wants the best out of the shoot too, and if you guys have drastic artistic differences, it will do you best to not shoot with each other. So talk to her and tell her that thats not what you are hoping for, and ask her what the probability of her having something else together tomorrow. If you can't work it out, consider cancelling the shoot or finding another stylist.

However, most stylists would not take snapshots of the clothing on themselves nor do they pull from their own drawers... ususally though, they will have a closet (or a few) full of clothing for shoots. Stylists are crazy for clothes and fashion the way make-up artists are crazy for make-up, so if they are a working stylist they probably have a pretty decent lot to choose from without even leaving their house. so I am going to make an assumption that she is pretty new to the game.

Jun 26 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I wonder how the shots came out.

Jul 02 06 03:24 am Link