Forums > General Industry > Gaining legal access to buildings.

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

I am trying to do several photo shoots around Cleveland, mainly in some of the abandonned buildings and factories, along with a series of rooftop shots. I have no idea how to get ahold of the person(company) that owns the buidling or how to get their contact information. I am trying to avoid breaking into the buildings, because my day job would fire me for even being arrested not charged. I also have no idea how I would get ahold of say the operator of a huge office complex, so I could get on the roof.
Any advice/experience would be helpful.

Jun 24 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lazyi Photography wrote:
I am trying to do several photo shoots around Cleveland, mainly in some of the abandonned buildings and factories, along with a series of rooftop shots. I have no idea how to get ahold of the person(company) that owns the buidling or how to get their contact information. I am trying to avoid breaking into the buildings, because my day job would fire me for even being arrested not charged. I also have no idea how I would get ahold of say the operator of a huge office complex, so I could get on the roof.
Any advice/experience would be helpful.

All you need to do is to go to the county recorder's office and the legal owner will be on the deed registered with them.  Whether or not the information is current is another matter.  Likewise, knowing who they are and getting permission to enter are something else.  My guess is the owner may have liabilty concerns, but if you have insurance, that might alieve them.

Jun 24 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Hell....break the the window.....we need another thread called....Cops busted me and my camera!!!!....dated my model and towed my car!!!

Jun 24 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Hell....break the the window.....we need another thread called....Cops busted me and my camera!!!!....dated my model and towed my car!!!

That was rich....hehehe

Jun 24 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

All you need to do is to go to the county recorder's office and the legal owner will be on the deed registered with them.  Whether or not the information is current is another matter.  Likewise, knowing who they are and getting permission to enter are something else.  My guess is the owner may have liabilty concerns, but if you have insurance, that might alieve them.

This is what I would do. I would hope they require you to carry your own insurance. If you don’t you are a fool and I have no sympathy for you if anyone gets hurt at you’re expense.

Jun 24 06 08:14 pm Link