Forums > General Industry > Why so hard to find wife for glamour photographer?

Photographer

Tim - New Talent Search

New York, New York, US

I'm fashion photographer and 50% of my photography is glamour and other stuff (naked girls and boyz).... here is the problem i have. Every girl i was dating sooner or later put me in the corner with question: "....you have to choose, ME or your photography..."   

well... i'm very simple in situations like that, and here you go - i'm still single.

i lost my hope already... so, photographers let me know if you have similar problem. and girls, let me know what happens in girls head when she's dating glamour photographer?

Jun 23 06 04:04 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Sounds like you're having trust issues... That is either poor choice of women or lack of good solid communication. I have an open relationship with my boyfriend and we have no problem with trust issues. Neither of us is the jealous type and when an issue arrises over anything, we immediately stop and talk about it. Sounds like you could use some time invested in working on communication.

Good luck.

Jun 23 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I'm curious, where and how do you meet the women you are dating? Are they clear on exactly what you do?

My wife and I have been married for nearly 24 years. I started doing model photography a little over a year ago. Before I did, it took some clear, direct communication both ways between us. Once she met a few models and assisted me on a few sessions, she became more supportive. She doesn't like being in front of  the camera, but she does like to help with props and is becoming more interested in costuming.

I still have to give her a little extra attention if I've spent a lot of time editing on a big shoot. She doesn't quite understand how I can distance myself from the image as a whole when touching up blemishes, etc on an image. She sees me staring intently at a model, while I'm seeing the flaws that need to be corrected. Still overall I've got it pretty good...

Jun 23 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I've been married 19 years - and have been shooting longer than that - though in fairness, I only started shooting nudes about 5 years ago and glamour stuff this year. Either way, my work has never been an issue between us.

Sounds like some trust issues.......is it possible you're sending out some bad vibes to your dates where your work is concerned? Just a thought.....FWIW

Jun 23 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm going to agree - it's communication. If she feels comfortable, there shouldn't be a problem.

I met my wife when she was a model and I was... um... just some geek. As I got into photography (mainly because she was a model), I started doing more and more glamour work, and now I regularly work with stunning women. She has very little problem with this, mainly because she's very comfortable in our relationship.

Looks like it's not what you do that's the problem, it's trust.

Jun 23 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

R Christopher

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I agree too it is communication. My problem is I don't get out enough outside of photography. Every event I cover, most people I meet are idustry people and I don't/won't date clients. Even tonight, going to a latin party but guess what all clients or potential clients...

I did have one GF who was not comfortable with some of the glamour I shoot her rule was don't lie to her but she didn't want to see the photos. It wasn't so much a trust issue but she was a hard core conservative and thought that women who posed like that were in poor taste and had no self respect. We discussed that often.

Jun 23 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Jack_Photo wrote:
Why so hard to find wife for glamour photographer?

and other stuff (naked girls and boyz)....

Ya’ think they might consider you a pedophile?

Try stick'n to naked Men and Women big_smile

Jun 23 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

If you DO find a wonderful, sweet, trusting, confident, intelligent, fun, cultured, mature, humorous, generous, spiritual, grounded woman...........

Let me know if she has a cute single sister smile

Jun 23 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Vision of a Poet

League City, Texas, US

Peter Gowland was a legend in the classic nude/pinup world for ages.  He and his wife worked together and they did workshops and presentations around the country on his style, his lighting and the large format cameras he designed and built.  She had a wonderful way of describing it:  "I'm around and I help Peter.  When other women or my friends ask how I deal with it, I tell them 'I trust Peter.  I'm not worried about any women who may come in the front door for a photo shoot.  I would be worried about any trying to sneak in the back door.'" 

It was her wonderful way of saying, with communication and professional approach between a couple, there's nothing to fear about those in the routine of business.

Jun 23 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Storyline Visuals

Mission Viejo, California, US

A = Trust, B = Communication, C = Love, D = Lonely Photographer

A+B can = C
C-A = D
C-B = D
A+C-B = D
B+C-A = D

Some of the greatest photographers = D

Jun 23 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I recently started dating a girl (3rd date tonight) and so far she loves my photography.  Thinks I'm amazing and is looking forward to working as an assistant sometime.  She seems pretty darn open-minded.

I even casually mentioned how a couple girls are interested in me shooting them nude...she thinks I'm crazy for even having to think about it.  My answer should have been an immediate yes.

Jun 23 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tim - New Talent Search

New York, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:

Ya’ think they might consider you a pedophile?

... smile)) no  C R  all my boyz and girls over 18...

Jun 23 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

My wife was somewhat jealous of the nudes and some glamour until she actually sat in on a session I did with a model and found out how utterly like WORK it really is.  That fixed her hehe

Jun 23 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tim - New Talent Search

New York, New York, US

Anderson Image wrote:
A = Trust, B = Communication, C = Love, D = Lonely Photographer

A+B can = C
C-A = D
C-B = D
A+C-B = D
B+C-A = D

Some of the greatest photographers = D

i will put this on my photostudios door....

Jun 23 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

This is also a problem for Fashion photographers.

It has even been an issue for girlfriends that have been in the business.

I often joke that at my age and the women I meet I would do better by saying that I am unemployed, going bald,  and live with my mother instead of saying I am a freelance fashion/art photographer(that has a shave head, needs more work,  and lives with his dogs.)

It is hard for when you are slow you are so slow when busy you are too busy and/or traveling to far away places for long periods of time.

Jun 23 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tim - New Talent Search

New York, New York, US

i agree with the fact of COMMUNICATION and TRUST being very important... and state very clear in the beginning of our relationship, that most important is trust, and i'm man of word.
On my first dates i'm mostly talking about my photography, funny and sad sides of this business, and all girls always very exited about me being photographer and even more exited about me taking pictures of woman beauty in very sexy way. But after some time, usually 2-3 months... question:
...what about us?
...Looks like you like your models more than me.
...You spending more time with them in the studio or on the computer much more than with ME.
...end etc.

question is: should i cut my work day? Should i stop taking pictures of GREAT looking and especially SEXY looking models? Should i turn off my computer screen when i'm retouching private parts of my models? Just because i wanna get married...

Jun 23 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

imagine the wife of an OB/GYN ...

yeah, trust issues. it has to be developed & nurtured.

FML

Jun 23 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Storyline Visuals

Jack_Photo wrote:
Why so hard to find wife for glamour photographer?

I think finding someone I will call my wife is just plain challenging in any circumstance. The fact that my relationship also needs to pass this "shooting pretty girls" test only helps to reinforce my feelings that when this does happen, it will be that much stronger of a relationship.

The more challenges we conquer in a relationship before we say I do, the better potential for that relationship to last after we say I do.

Dr. Phil Phlash

Jun 23 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Jack_Photo wrote:
I'm fashion photographer and 50% of my photography is glamour and other stuff (naked girls and boyz).... here is the problem i have. Every girl i was dating sooner or later put me in the corner with question: "....you have to choose, ME or your photography..."   

well... i'm very simple in situations like that, and here you go - i'm still single.

i lost my hope already... so, photographers let me know if you have similar problem. and girls, let me know what happens in girls head when she's dating glamour photographer?

My ex did the same thing.....gee I miss her....LOL...NOT!

Jun 23 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

TKat

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Eric S. wrote:
If you DO find a wonderful, sweet, trusting, confident, intelligent, fun, cultured, mature, humorous, generous, spiritual, grounded woman...........

simmilar qualities but a brother.. ???

Jun 23 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Storyline Visuals

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
My ex did the same thing.....gee I miss her....LOL...NOT!

Hmmmm ... Ditto here.

Jun 23 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Ever noticed how many female models stop because their boyfriends / husbands don't approve of them modelling lingerie or nude?

Different side, same problem.

We need a sign: "this is work, dammit!"

Maybe we could get a sign available for sale on MM?

Jun 23 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

James Cessna

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Been there, done that. I was dating a girl who was jealous of my attention to the girls I would shoot. She had trust issues already. And no  matter how much I would tell her that she had nothing to worry about, she still didn't like me shooting other girls. She even began saying that I was degrading women because of the shoots (swimsuits). I could never see how I was degrading women especially if the women in the pictures did not feel as if they had been degraded. Finally, I just excepted the fact that she will never be able to handle me have other females in my life that I have to pay attention to in detail. The models and I have a professional relationship as well as a friendship, nothing more. I've even invited her to come to some of my shoots to see me and how I work. She refused. I have learned that if someone wanted to be with me, they have to except what I do for a living, its a package deal. The mistake is made when a person tries to change you to suit not a positive change for you or the relationship (ex: drugs, alcohol addiction), but a change to suit their personal issues and hang-ups. She knew you were a photographer from the start. Except it from the start or move on.

Jun 23 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

FML-Photography wrote:
imagine the wife of an OB/GYN ...

yeah, trust issues. it has to be developed & nurtured.

FML

OB-GYN looks  at sick vags; you want to do that every day?

Jun 23 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

NYC Photog

New York, New York, US

Or do what I did....

I made her part of the creative process.....and got a great MUA to boot....I invested the money for her to go to the schools....bought the gear.......

and viola....a working partnership....and its great having a mua on hand for whenever I want to shoot....

Rick

Jun 23 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Dion McInnis wrote:
Peter Gowland was a legend in the classic nude/pinup world for ages.  He and his wife worked together and they did workshops and presentations around the country on his style, his lighting and the large format cameras he designed and built.  She had a wonderful way of describing it:  "I'm around and I help Peter.  When other women or my friends ask how I deal with it, I tell them 'I trust Peter.  I'm not worried about any women who may come in the front door for a photo shoot.  I would be worried about any trying to sneak in the back door.'" 

It was her wonderful way of saying, with communication and professional approach between a couple, there's nothing to fear about those in the routine of business.

Amen! Alice Gowland is a wonderful woman I`ve spoken to her many times, her and Peter are legends in the Glamour Photography world

Jun 23 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

God, I so missed these Dr. Phil like threads.

Jun 23 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

joe greene photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

There is also the stereotype of being a fashion glam shooter...anyone remember the original film " Blow Up" where the photographer was rolling around on the studio floor with his model? Trust is
one thing, but opportunity is another. The truth is that women do come on to the photographer, I know smile

Jun 23 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I think what we do is totally misunderstood outside the industry.....from a photographers viewpoint....can't begin to tell you how many times I've heard, "what's so hard about pushing a button".....it all looks so easy but then again so does playing classical piano....until you try......

And it's not just photographers.....I've also worked a a graphic artist and used to hear pretty much the same thing.....how hard can it be using a computer.....

Seems that anything that requires creativity is mistakenly taken for "fun, fun, fun"......and at times it may be.....but damn I sure sweat a lot having all this "fun"....

Jun 24 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

That is a tough one.  One thing I've learned about trust.  Never put it to the test if you don't have to.  If you think your nude photography is more important than a lasting marriage, then my guess is you may run into this kind of problem over and over.  My wife is a WORKING model and I would never shoot nudes because I see no reason to MAKE her trust me in a situation that she already would feel isecure about.  Your work is amazing!  Not many here can I say that about.  The right woman may make you consider a compromise into more fashion.  From the looks of it, you would have no problem making the change... and making the money.  Who knows?

Jun 24 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Jack_Photo wrote:

You need to talk to Bill Bates, Mayhem #127047.  His wife, Wanda, is his primary model & Muse. :-)  Solution for you:  Marry a model!

Jun 24 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

TrueBeauty

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

CapturedImage wrote:
We need a sign: "this is work, dammit!"

Maybe we could get a sign available for sale on MM?

I'd buy one, definitely.

My wife's attitude? "Keep it Professional and Business Like". Oh sure she gets pissy sometimes and starts in on my 'girlfriends' but she's the one that tells me to roll over in the middle of the night when I start snoring. LOL

I'd really like her to sit in on a Portfolio shoot sometime...just so she can see how I work and how MUCH work it truly is!

Jun 24 06 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

C R Photography wrote:

eww

Jun 24 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

joe greene photo wrote:
The truth is that women do come on to the photographer, I know smile

Bite your tongue!

Jun 24 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Jack_Photo wrote:
i agree with the fact of COMMUNICATION and TRUST being very important... and state very clear in the beginning of our relationship, that most important is trust, and i'm man of word.
On my first dates i'm mostly talking about my photography, funny and sad sides of this business, and all girls always very exited about me being photographer and even more exited about me taking pictures of woman beauty in very sexy way. But after some time, usually 2-3 months... question:
...what about us?
...Looks like you like your models more than me.
...You spending more time with them in the studio or on the computer much more than with ME.
...end etc.

question is: should i cut my work day? Should i stop taking pictures of GREAT looking and especially SEXY looking models? Should i turn off my computer screen when i'm retouching private parts of my models? Just because i wanna get married...

I think there are some things about artists in general that may make relationships difficult, starting with the orientation to objects.

In a thesis looking at the self-assessed "social competence" of engineers, English majors, and speech and hearing majors, I found engineers and English majors scoring more similarly than the third class.  Hypothesis: working systems or code and writing and reading books have object and symbolic aspects to them--broadly, gently speaking, neither camp cares not to have a lot to do with people directly, at least compared to speech and hearing majors (MA psychology and social science studies have been billed, archly, as "the psychology of sophomores").

In any case, this is not just about looking pictures of women but also about a natural remoteness in the artist.

Some have made note of the lonesome logistics involved in photography--for fashion shooters and seriously journalists alike, travel may make long-term relationships impossible.  How that shakes out under scrutiny, I don't know: James Nachtwey fits; Bob Krist, happily married and publishing and touring with his wife, doesn't.

On the photographer's side (I've been through this surprise recently): yup, de artist, he da big bow wow and da little puppy, she want to be attached; den, when she think she got big dawg, da liddle puppy start to get scairt, radar on high alert for da next liddle puppy, and suddenly der's liddle puppies everywhere she look. 

Twisted: Over the years, I let an old crush, one who I helped through a serious illness, and, perhaps, one who needed a friend more than she needed another dick, become like a sister (and oh brother have I become the brother, chump, and confidant; but in the other direction, she too would have taken me in after the building fire in February plus breakup with a more real girlfriend, over said friend, ostensibly, in March).  These things happen, and the more frightened the woman of abandonment, the more controlling, jealous, and suspicious she may be of the presence of other women in her man's life.

Anyone have the notes on Newton and Springs, spell them here.

Jun 24 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

My wife and I have been married for just under 13 years.  I brought up this very conversation about our second date telling her this is what I do, and this is who I am,  if you want this relationship to work, don't try to change me.

Thirteen years later, the only thing she is trying to change about me, is to pick up after myself.

Jun 24 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

It's all about trust, commitment and respect.  Remember the old fire safety triangle lesson about the three elements needed to sustain fire - heat, air and fuel?  Well, trust, commitment and respect are the three elements of the sucessful relationship triangle.  Remove any one and, like a fire, the relationship goes out.

Try to get your girlfriend involved somehow in what you do.  My wife accompanies me to all photo shoots and helps as my assistant.  She may make some costumes for an upcoming shoot.  She helps me research ideas.

I did a meet & greet last night with an MM model.  We met at a coffee shop.  I sat next to the model so I could view images on her laptop computer and talk about ideas she had for a shoot.  Many of those ideas involved nudity.  Her boyfriend sat across the table from her, and sitting next to him  and across the table from me was my wife.  Our short meet & greet turned into a three hour conversation with laughter, stories, jokes and tales from her of sleazy photographers and the really nice photographers she's worked with!  When we parted, I felt I had made two new friends as well as found another model to work with--maybe two models as her boyfriend has an incredibly photogenic face.  Now we just have to talk him into modeling for me. :-)

Jun 24 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I have this same problem. When I met my wife , she knew I was a photographer but it was more of a hobby and I had never worked with models at that time. so no problem. When I decided to go from hobby to pro and started working with models, we had seriuos problems. She told me if she had known before hand that I was going to do this kind of work, she would never have married me and just can not seem to get past it. I have tried everything, include her in the shoots and she has some very good ideas sometimes. The glamour and nudes are where the problem is. She just can not seem to grasp what its about for me. She can not seem to understand. She does not see it as I do, as an art that takes way more skill to create than just pure fashion, depending on the fashion of course. As stated above, she sees me editing and staring at the image, while I am seeing the flaws and correcting the image, in her mind I must be lusting for this other beautiful woman and feels threatened and or jealous.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Jun 24 06 09:17 am Link

Model

Dominick D

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I think it boils down to the girls insecurities more than anything. Yu're just not goign for the right girl...

Find another artist etc who understands & apreaciates your need to create & shoot these images.
or find a girl who is secure about it & has the confidence in herself to not mind.

They are out there smile

xDDx

Jun 24 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

miss z

San Francisco, California, US

Eric S. wrote:

ahahahaha!! Silly..

Jun 24 06 10:15 am Link