Forums > General Industry > How to deny a request without being rude?

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
That was their loss Len you were great to work with!!!!

oodles of fun oodles I tell ya.

now when do I get to play with that huge glass table???

Name a day.  Seriously.  Message me.

We were shooting that jewelry stuff and you opened up your jacket just THAT much, and I went weak at the knees.  Talk about oodles of fun.  You're a babe, and SO PRO!

Jun 28 06 11:46 am Link

Model

Less Than Two

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Just simply say no thank you. Maybe add in that their style doesn't suit your portfolio needs, or that you aren't interested in that project (whether it be calender nudes or not wanting to be just stock). Its generally honest.
Usually if I don't respond right away, I'm debating on what to say, whether it be acceptance or not. And if I don't say anything, its usually because I forgot.

Of course, then again, I'm a snarky brat.
There was this guy a couple months ago on OMP who wanted me for TFP nudes. The 4 images on his profile were all ovbiosly not taken by the same person. I simply told him I couldn't afford the trip to the West Coast. He insisted he was famous and that he could make me a big name. To which I replied that any credible photographer would take better care of their spelling, likely have a paid account- especially if 'famous', not expect a college student to travel across the country for a TFP shoot without paying their travel expenses. He Sent me a mesage of "i m a famus phtographer. ur jus lazy"
To which I laughed.

Jun 29 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tryingreallyhard Delete

Dallas, Texas, US

The best way to turn down a requests is simply tell the photographer their style is not a look you are currently needing in ur book and that u'll get back with them should ur needs change in the future...

brian

Jun 30 06 11:41 am Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

i'm in the same position where people like to work with me, but their work isn't up to par and any response saying no is informing the person you're not interested, so i understand your concern.

one thing about me is I don't like to fib therefore I refuse to tell someone I'll keep them in mind when it's not true. So since I feel people can't handle the truth when it comes to it, I don't respond.

It may seem harsh to many, but think about it saying "thanks for the interest, but I'm busy right now" or anything turning that person down minus the "and I'll keep you in mind" < not true.... i feel it's just best not to reply....

now, if someone can suggest to say NO THANKS without adding a fib to the end of the statement, I'm all eyes... i would love to find a way to inform someone diplomatically that their work isn't up to par in my eyes...

there has been many times when i didn't get answers from me reaching out to photogs to work with and I don't feel slighted none the least if I don't get a response, b/c i forget who i email anyhoo, as i email so many people i don't keep up with them.

i've realized not everyone is going to like my work and that's that, but for some reason I don't think everyone carries that attitude, but they should..

Nedjetti

p.s. saying "thanks, but no thanks" is equivalant to saying you don't like the person's work and saying " I can't take on your project" is not true b/c you CAN, you're just chosing not too b/c you don't want to justifiably of course *shrugs*

basically, there's no way out of fibbing to someone, and personally i don't like to and refuse to, so I just don't reply, but that's just me...

and to tell someone 'to contact you in the future' is a fib, b/c you don't want them to and trust they will...

see i've read lots of people's comments, they start off nice, but then fib at the end and I don't like living like that, so i don't reply b/c i don't want to go into honest details  why I don't want to work with them.

give a HIGH rate, that's what I do too,... but i have told new artists (makeup and hair) they should work on their skills, i don't think photogs can handle the truth, b/c of their egos (not all, but MANY) ...

and saying "your work is not my style" i swear it's the same as saying NO you don't like their work, but hey that's just me...

not responding for me has more to do with not wanting to hurt the person with my NO

Jul 01 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I still don't understand why people have a hard time just saying no.

Jul 02 06 03:22 am Link