Forums > General Industry > Canon stepping away from digital.

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Jun 23 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Telephoto Studio wrote:
again - post the source - don't have time to go reading every website on the planet.  If you read it there - then why don't you post the link?

Dude! It ain't THAT hard to find. I just read it too!
I'm going out to buy a couple of 30D's right now so I don't get stuck using Nikon! I suggest all Canon users do the same!

Jun 23 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Strictly speaking, Canon announced that they were CONSIDERING getting out of film. The announcement has circulated widely enough that you should be able to find it with a quick Google.

The announcement that I found more entertaining was that Sony were picking up Conica-Minolta's lens mount to release their own range of SLRs. Given that Sony make Nikon's sensors...  (I use Canon, so I can watch with amusement).

Jun 23 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Could it be that someone got things a little bass ackwards?

Knight Ridder Newspapers wrote:
Camera makers in Japan refocus
Demand for digital causes big changes in production
BY EMI DOI
Knight Ridder Newspapers

TOKYO - The exodus of Japan's top manufacturers from film to digital cameras is nearly over, leaving film lovers astonished at the speed of the transition.

Three major Japanese camera makers either have halted production of film cameras this year or have sharply reduced output to change their focus almost entirely to digital.

Unlike film cameras, which have been in use for more than a century, digital cameras take and store images without the need for film, allowing photographers to see the images instantly and send them in e-mails.

Three weeks ago, Canon, the world's largest camera maker, said it would stop developing new models using film. Canon President Tsuneji Uchida said it didn't make economic sense to develop and sell new film cameras in a shrinking market, while demand for digital booms.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledg … 888062.htm

Jun 23 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
go to the japanese website, I think that's where the bigler guy found it.

Konichiwa

Yeah, I speak Japanese and it's all over their Asian site.  They say they're dumping what is left of their stock in the American market, because ... wait, I need to translate this ... round eye dumb sh ... wait, oh ... Americans are the only ones who think Canon is worth a bread roll ... emm, not bread roll ... it may say, "that which is expelled from the back end of the Donkey after eating much rice .." I may be off on that last part a little. wink  /tim

I found this translation:

Demand for photocopy machines causes big changes in production
BY EMI DOI
Knight Ridder Newspapers

TOKYO - The exodus of Japan's top manufacturers from film to digital cameras and photocopy machines is nearly over, leaving film lovers astonished at the speed of the transition.

Three major Japanese camera makers either have halted production of film cameras this year or have sharply reduced output to change their focus almost entirely to digital.  One is eliminating both digital and film cameras to focus on what it does best - photocopy machines.

Unlike film cameras, which have been in use for more than a century, digital cameras take and store images without the need for film, allowing photographers to see the images instantly and send them in e-mails.

Some companies are stopping production of both film and digital cameras.

Three weeks ago, Canon, the world's largest camera maker, said it would stop developing new models using both film and digital reproduction technology. Canon President Tsuneji Uchida said it didn't make economic sense to develop and sell film or digital cameras in a shrinking market, while demand for photocopy machines booms.

Uchida said Canon would continue to sell their L series lenses but all new lenses would be marked Lph and would come equipped with both automatic focus and an automatic toner-low light.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/cano … 888062.htm

Jun 23 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

bump

Jun 24 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Soren McCarty

Boulder, Colorado, US

Who are you kidding Canon is totally kicking Nikon's sorry 4.1MP ass all over the place. Maybe they are steppin off so Nikon can catch up.

Jun 24 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
I red it heer:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=55912

ROFL.

Jun 24 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Soren McCarty wrote:
Who are you kidding Canon is totally kicking Nikon's sorry 4.1MP ass all over the place. Maybe they are steppin off so Nikon can catch up.

Catch up to what? New photocopy paper technology?

https://www.simco.com.vn/images/anhmaytinh/printer/mf3110.jpg

Oh, look, a Canon.

Jun 24 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Just read in one of our trade papers that Canon is not going to be developing (no pun) any more film cameras.

Jun 24 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

JBPhoto wrote:
Just read in one of our trade papers that Canon is not going to be developing (no pun) any more film cameras.

Yep. Giving up films and digital from what I hear. /t

You can read about it here:

Jun 25 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
I red it heer:

lol

Jun 25 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Graham Walker

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I that be a misprint.  What I heard was that they are getting out of film and concentrating on digital.

Jun 26 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Tim Baker wrote:

Wow, so they're getting out of both film and digital. Wow. So they're just going to sell photocopiers and large military weapons now?  Guess they know what they're best at.  /t

Minolta did that this year lol. Well maybe not the large military weapons but no more cameras at all sad

That's a fucking shame because I really like my Maxxum 9000 and my Maxxum 7D.

Jun 26 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Apfel Photography wrote:
I kind of think the OP was joking.... hence the "I'm such a hillbilly I can barely put a sentence together" phrasing.

If not kidding, they must have misread it.  I am sure that Canon is going to follow Nikon's move and do away with film based cameras.  Nikon only makes the medical based film cameras but no more consumer or pro based film cameras. 

I am sure Canon is seeing no money in film anymore either.  Hell, even your medium format manufacturers are starting to dump 90% of their R&D into digital.

My understanding is that the high end pro film cameras will still be produced by Nikon.

Jun 26 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Yuriy wrote:

...Upgrades...

...Film cameras take much longer to become obsolete.

So when the shareholders of the film makers decide their ROI is not good enough to continue making film?  Agfa is bankrupt, Ilford will likely go bankrupt again. Kodak is very likely to stop making film. IMHO Fuji will be the last film standing, but only as long as they have a good ROI.

Jun 26 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Tim Baker wrote:

Nikon is continuing with the F6 (msrp $2299) and the FM10 (msrp $359).  Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/micro … n+11,+2006

The only film camera Nikon makes is the F6, they outsource the FM10 to Cosina.

Jun 26 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

are they going to do away with the ego button too? ouch* burn! ;o) Just kidding guys, don't turn the militia on me...

Jun 26 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Mark Heaps wrote:
are they going to do away with the ego button too? ouch* burn! ;o) Just kidding guys, don't turn the militia on me...

LOL, no, they're just putting a Toner-Low button on their lenses wink

Jun 26 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

go to the japanese website, I think that's where the bigler guy found it.

If www.dpreview.com  doesn't have the story  then, forgetta 'bout it ,LOL

Jun 26 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

Tim Baker wrote:

LOL, no, they're just putting a Toner-Low button on their lenses wink

HA HA HA HA HA, that's f@#KING hilarious...omg! Dying..someone has to take a pic of the camera and add that...mock up!  Put the copy symbol on the shutter button...nice!

Jun 26 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
People still shoot film?

umm.. YEAH!

Abdiel Urcullu Photo wrote:
!! GO FILM !!

Yeah #2 from me.  I also use film.

Jun 26 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
I done just heerd it, so's it must be treu!!!!!!!
Dang, I wuz gunna git me one o deem D80s or wutevr they is.

THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING!

WOLF!

oooops.....wong forum.

sorry.

Jun 26 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

MilenaMagalhaes wrote:
There seems to be more artistry involved in Film.

Wong forum lady.

Jun 26 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

It's just Canon. No biggie wink  /t

Jun 26 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

MilenaMagalhaes wrote:
There seems to be more artistry involved in Film.

NOT EVEN!  It's a different beast all together.  They each have their seat at the table for imaging and deserve respect but more artistry...uhm, no.  That's like two painters, one who uses oil, and the other who uses gouache or acrylics and one looks at the other and says..."I'm more of an artist than you are!"  no way, being an artist or creator is about the concept and delivering it in a way that makes you feel like you completed your vision, that you scratched the itch just right.  Nothing to do with equipment.

Jun 26 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Steven Bigler wrote:
I done just heerd it, so's it must be treu!!!!!!!
Dang, I wuz gunna git me one o deem D80s or wutevr they is.

There was also the big Media Announcment from Kodak:

Eastman Kodak would like to apologize ....

wink

Jun 26 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Darrell wrote:

There was also the big Media Announcment from Kodak:

Eastman Kodak would like to apologize ....

wink

LOL

Jun 28 06 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Moser Photographic

Spring, Texas, US

I think tha teverybody has gotten this all wrong.........there is a new technology in the werks.....it will COMPLETELY eliminate digital AND film all together.........
It's called :"Vitrual Photography"
Think the image and it is there.............dont even need Photoshop!!!!!

Jun 28 06 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Lucky Bastard wrote:

Dude! It ain't THAT hard to find. I just read it too!
I'm going out to buy a couple of 30D's right now so I don't get stuck using Nikon! I suggest all Canon users do the same!

Where did you read it?  some of us are busy and have assignments and don't have all day to google stuff.  And by the way - not developing new film cameras isn't the same as getting out of film.  It means they will not be spending any money developing new film cameras to replace or update the models they already have out.  I do admit that it is just the first step in eventuually getting out of film altogether, but the articles quoted in this thread never mentioned Canon totally getting out of film altogether.

Jun 28 06 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Tim Baker wrote:

Konichiwa

Yeah, I speak Japanese and it's all over their Asian site.  They say they're dumping what is left of their stock in the American market, because ... wait, I need to translate this ... round eye dumb sh ... wait, oh ... Americans are the only ones who think Canon is worth a bread roll ... emm, not bread roll ... it may say, "that which is expelled from the back end of the Donkey after eating much rice .." I may be off on that last part a little. wink  /tim

I found this translation:

Demand for photocopy machines causes big changes in production
BY EMI DOI
Knight Ridder Newspapers

TOKYO - The exodus of Japan's top manufacturers from film to digital cameras and photocopy machines is nearly over, leaving film lovers astonished at the speed of the transition.

Three major Japanese camera makers either have halted production of film cameras this year or have sharply reduced output to change their focus almost entirely to digital.  One is eliminating both digital and film cameras to focus on what it does best - photocopy machines.

Some companies are stopping production of both film and digital cameras.

Three weeks ago, Canon, the world's largest camera maker, said it would stop developing new models using both film and digital reproduction technology. Canon President Tsuneji Uchida said it didn't make economic sense to develop and sell film or digital cameras in a shrinking market, while demand for photocopy machines booms.

Uchida said Canon would continue to sell their L series lenses but all new lenses would be marked Lph and would come equipped with both automatic focus and an automatic toner-low light.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/cano … 888062.htm

Good luck following the above mentioned link.  Interestingly enough - the full link includes "canonsucks" which of course would not be in a real posting. 

Also, the last part of the above-mentioned quote mixes both film lens and copy toner information. 

Here is the real link:

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledg … 888062.htm

Demand for digital causes big changes in production
BY EMI DOI
Knight Ridder Newspapers

TOKYO - The exodus of Japan's top manufacturers from film to digital cameras is nearly over, leaving film lovers astonished at the speed of the transition.

Three major Japanese camera makers either have halted production of film cameras this year or have sharply reduced output to change their focus almost entirely to digital.

Three weeks ago, Canon, the world's largest camera maker, said it would stop developing new models using film. Canon President Tsuneji Uchida said it didn't make economic sense to develop and sell new film cameras in a shrinking market, while demand for digital booms.

Earlier in the year, Konica Minolta Holdings said it would stop making film cameras, lenses and even film, then announced it was making a full retreat even from the digital photo business and selling its assets to rival Sony.

In another announcement that stunned the industry, Nikon, a world leader in high-quality camera products, said in January that it would stop making most models of film cameras to focus solely on digital. Nikon now makes only two film cameras, the F6 for professionals and the FM10 for beginners.

What happened next became known as the "Nikon shock." Panicked by the end of an era, photographers snapped up most remaining models of Nikon single lens-reflex film cameras. At Bic Camera, a popular store in Tokyo, most models of the Nikon single-lens reflex cameras that were doomed to go out of production sold out within three days, salesman Nirihiro Nomura said.

Worldwide sales of Japanese digital cameras overtook film cameras in 2002, when 24.6 million digital cameras were sold, outpacing the 23.7 million film cameras, according to the Camera & Imaging Products Association, a Japanese trade group.

Digital camera sales have skyrocketed since then. Last year, Japanese makers sold 70.2 million digital cameras, snagging 92.3 percent of the market, leaving 7 percent of the market for film cameras, the group said.

Some photographers claim that film still has a leg up on digital because it captures subtle color variations better. They suggest that the sunset of film still isn't here yet.

"We cannot forget that photography is painting with light. It's not painting with pixels," said Steve Gardner, a commercial shooter and photography instructor, referring to the digital dots that make up an electronic image.

Jun 28 06 06:31 am Link

Photographer

DaveSwan

Delray Beach, Florida, US

Manufacturers do NOT discontinue products

Consumers do

If there is falling or no interest in a product line, why would any well managed company continue to produce a product no longer in demand??

Jun 29 06 06:17 am Link

Photographer

photomale

Sterling Heights, Michigan, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

only the real photographers...

think about it..the only thing digital technology has brought us is the GWCS....."learn to use a light meter and how a camera works?...hell theres easier ways to get chicks naked..."

Doug, You took the words right out of my mouth! lol!

Jul 03 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

All I can say is I always knew film would become a relic. It will remain just as LP's and 8tracks do. In the background and those who simply refuse to let go. I think film will become "a dying art form"..Like glass blowing. I will always appreciate film, though as a business person I would never rely on it as it's time is passing.

One day soon it will rival film and even surpass it.

It's funny how people discount technology and what it is capable of.

As digital takes the forfront of R&D we will see leaps and bounds as far as image capture go.

On the higher end cameras the difference is already minimal.

All the hold outs make me laugh.

Hell, I have clients who never so much as listened to a tape cassete...and soon, there will be those who havent so much as picked up a CD or DVD. The digital age is here and it is takng over.

Deal with it....

Jul 03 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

azdave wrote:
Digital cameras are just a fad

Yep...LOL....just like these dang new fangled puter things everyone is a talkin about....

Jul 04 06 07:50 am Link