Forums > General Industry > Pay rates based on experience

Photographer

AdamKnight

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I was looking through the profile pages and I noticed under experience there are four options under that box, no experience, some experience, experienced and very experienced.  So I'm wondering should there be a sliding pay scale based on a given model's level of experience?  Does anyone base thier pay for photo shoots on that criteria?

The scale I have in mind is something like this:

No experience $100/hr.

Some experience $150/hr.

Experienced $200/hr.

Very Experienced. $250/hr.

Any insight or suggestions are welcome, feel free to tell if I'm being a cheap skate.

Apr 18 24 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Pay should be based on talent, dependability, and demand.

Apr 18 24 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Also pay should be based on the type of shoot. $150 would definitely be the upper end for most Model Mayhem shoots,

Apr 18 24 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Los Angeles, California, US

the vast majority of internet models anyone wants to work with base their rates on a derivative of demand: amount of skin showing.

"anyone wants to work with" isn't a bad statement, its the just about the demand for attractive and moderately skilled models that have no qualms about their body being shown, captured, syndicated, and attributed to them. that's what people want, less models offer that, the ones that do tier their rates based on that demand.

I think self identifying as tiers of "experience" is nice, for commercial clothed modeling, but what's needed for that trade isn't that hard or distinguishable given the large number of available models for that. You can test this theory by putting out a casting call for $50/hr or less and seeing who responds. The crowd is there. Even if ModelMayhem is dead where you are, post up a classic classifieds ad around town.

Personally, I would prefer to book models based on a budget I offer and time. And sometimes I get a flexible muse that agrees with that philosophy. (But when you're offering $120 and higher its easier for a lot of people to agree about alot of things, as they usually spend more time haggling with people and would prefer not to.) But I understand the demand based pricing on levels of skin.

Apr 18 24 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

My offered rate is usually based looks, experience, and concept. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It'll be my eyes deciding that. Long hair and fewer tats are pluses for me. Others differ, and that is a great thing.

What the model claims as experience is not as important as what I see in their portfolios - posing and expressions. They may have been a model for 10 years, but that does not always translate into 10 years of knowing what they are doing.

Concept - the more I ask of the model, the higher the compensation. Sitting for a headshot won't be the same pay rate as asking a model to pose nude in public. Underwater modeling is not the same as studio shoots.

Apr 19 24 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

AdamKnight wrote:
So I'm wondering should there be a sliding pay scale based on a given model's level of experience?  Does anyone base thier pay for photo shoots on that criteria?

No.

Market conditions will always outweigh your forced perspective on model rates. Why would you even question that? On one hand I can see if you have none or little experience hiring models, but on the other hand, if you have so little experience or perspective why are you making suggestion about fairy tale model rate scale should be?

Apr 19 24 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I see a few problems with this including:

1. What someone self identifies as their experience level on their profile is so subjective as to be an almost meaningless field.   

2. Experience doesn’t necessarily correspond to how much I will value resulting images.  A model’s look for example may matter far more than how many previous shoots she or he has done.

Apr 23 24 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

Mark Salo wrote:
Also pay should be based on the type of shoot. $150 would definitely be the upper end for most Model Mayhem shoots,

I also pay according to how much I am going to make on the shoot. Like if I'm netting serious money and sometimes with residuals then I want the model paid proportionately.

If you get into some serious numbers and you don't pay then you might get to explain it to a judge. Better to be fair and pay the model according to her effort and your return on her effort.

Apr 23 24 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

AdamKnight wrote:
I was looking through the profile pages and I noticed under experience there are four options under that box, no experience, some experience, experienced and very experienced.  So I'm wondering should there be a sliding pay scale based on a given model's level of experience?  Does anyone base thier pay for photo shoots on that criteria?

No experience $100/hr.

Some experience $150/hr.

Experienced $200/hr.

Any insight or suggestions are welcome, feel free to tell if I'm being a cheap skate.

It's been more than a few months .. maybe a couple years since I've done a model shoot, but I find the $100/hr for a "No Experience" model rather high!  I don't know for sure, but I believe you are starting rather on the high end with pay a bit early.  I don't want to come across as cheap. I would pay $200 an hour for someone Very Experienced .. but that many of the models who have shot with me are negotiating lower rates. The last model I shot with charged me $400 for a relaxed "half day" shoot where we took breaks as needed. She did pose nude through the majority of the shoot, and she was very experienced.  It was a great shoot.

I like you asking, and I like the pay scale you propose .. IF one can afford it.  My own personal finances are not such that I can afford those hourly rates at those levels at this time.  Much of life involves negotiation. I wish I had an unlimited money supply or I were making a large enough profit, as I would love to just pay in cash and not even worry about it! Camera gear costs. Inflation is holding me back, but I do see things getting better.

Apr 23 24 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Dan Howell wrote:
No.
Market conditions will always outweigh your forced perspective on model rates. Why would you even question that? On one hand I can see if you have none or little experience hiring models, but on the other hand, if you have so little experience or perspective why are you making suggestion about fairy tale model rate scale should be?

Curious what these "market conditions" you speak of are, if not a photographer willing to pay X negotiating with a model asking for Y and reaching an agreeable compromise...or not.

Apr 24 24 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Focuspuller wrote:
Curious what these "market conditions" you speak of are, if not a photographer willing to pay X negotiating with a model asking for Y and reaching an agreeable compromise...or not.

You're kidding, right?

Supply and demand's influence dwarfs experience in terms of impact on fees.

How do you not know this?

Apr 24 24 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Dan Howell wrote:

You're kidding, right?

How do you not know this?

Sorry. Thought you were espousing a free market, not an imposed set of arbitrary and ironclad prices outside of supply and demand.

My mistake.

Apr 24 24 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Sorry. Thought you were espousing a free market, not an imposed set of arbitrary and ironclad prices outside of supply and demand.

My mistake.

umm ... supply and demand literally is free market.

Apr 24 24 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dan Howell wrote:

100% true. Sometimes they go hand-in-hand but not always. I've seen extremely talented but inexperienced photographers/videographers land very lucrative gigs for a wide variety of reasons. It's literally supply and demand.

Apr 24 24 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Coolsteel27 Photography

Linthicum, Maryland, US

AdamKnight wrote:

No experience $100/hr.

Some experience $150/hr.

Experienced $200/hr.

I have absolutely no idea how you came up with those numbers and we live in the same area.  Hire what your budget allows but you might want to ask them first before throwing out numbers that high.

Apr 24 24 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Why would I pay someone $100. an hour who has no experience to do anything?

Apr 24 24 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Weldphoto wrote:

Because some people can generate results without a lot of experience and $100 for photography is very cheap. I would put photographers with little to no working experience but a good portfolio into this price range.

Apr 25 24 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

Weldphoto wrote:

If you're trying to get natural expressions and natural postures then hiring a professional isn't always going to work. It's then easier to work with someone new to the industry.

I've had to toss entire shoots with certain models because no matter how much I tried to get them to relax and just be themselves the very second the lens aimed at them they went all Zoolander on me.

Apr 25 24 10:30 am Link