Forums > General Industry > Pay rates based on experience

Photographer

AdamKnight

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I was looking through the profile pages and I noticed under experience there are four options under that box, no experience, some experience, experienced and very experienced.  So I'm wondering should there be a sliding pay scale based on a given model's level of experience?  Does anyone base thier pay for photo shoots on that criteria?

The scale I have in mind is something like this:

No experience $100/hr.

Some experience $150/hr.

Experienced $200/hr.

Very Experienced. $250/hr.

Any insight or suggestions are welcome, feel free to tell if I'm being a cheap skate.

Apr 18 24 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Zap Industries

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

I prefer models with little or no experience. The photos always look more candid, and that's the look that I'm going for. Plus, the prices have gotten out of hand. $250-$300 for a 4 hour nude beach photoshoot should be more than enough for anyone.

Apr 29 24 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Los Angeles, California, US

Zap Industries wrote:
I prefer models with little or no experience. The photos always look more candid, and that's the look that I'm going for. Plus, the prices have gotten out of hand. $250-$300 for a 4 hour nude beach photoshoot should be more than enough for anyone.

some rates are high

the "providers" with the higher rates aren't catering to art, they're catering to being a naked woman in an intimate setting. not really correlated to level of experience of being a photo model but they're hot enough to get the booking. significant overlap with other adult entertainment.

Apr 29 24 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AdamKnight wrote:
I was looking through the profile pages and I noticed under experience there are four options under that box, no experience, some experience, experienced and very experienced.  So I'm wondering should there be a sliding pay scale based on a given model's level of experience?  Does anyone base thier pay for photo shoots on that criteria?

The scale I have in mind is something like this:

No experience $100/hr.

Some experience $150/hr.

Experienced $200/hr.

Very Experienced. $250/hr.

Any insight or suggestions are welcome, feel free to tell if I'm being a cheap skate.

It's way too broad of a question to merit a conversation as to how experience in a model equates to their rate. I may want an inexperienced agency model for a project if she has the right look for what I need, for which I will be paying the same amount as a model who's been on 100 shoots with the same agency. Furthermore paying a lot for a model for a very simple shoot may not yield the results I'm looking for if I'm on a budget. It also depends a LOT on the shoot as well. What a model charges for a billboard shoot for a Fortune 500 company may be different than beach photos with a GWC.

Also, if a model with zero experience wanted $100/hour where I'm at, she's probably get laughed at unless it was nudes in a hotel room or something like that.

Apr 30 24 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

While there should be a correlation between experience and results there often is not. There is a difference between 5 years experience an one year x 5

With a model it is more than experience to consider, looks, body type, tats, location etc. A good experienced model can accomplish more in one hour than a beginner in three or more.

Apr 30 24 08:28 am Link