Forums > General Industry > is anyone going to WPPI Convention/Expo?

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers Int'l)
https://wppiexpo.com/
March 3-7
Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas
(this will probably be the last time most people will be able to see the Mirage)

For free Expo only pass (trade show) use the code WPPIEXPO24

A few photographers and maybe a model or two are also meeting after the first day of the Expo to discuss anything that's cool to see and any great deals that are on the show floor.

Tues March 5
Starbucks (inside the Fashion Show Mall, within walking distance of the Mirage)
Near Forever 21.

Free Parking.  Half Price Beverages for Capitol One Credit Card and Debit Card users.

Hope to see you there!

Feb 26 24 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Sounds like it would have been a slightly productive trip, even if I would have to go to Vegas for it- but I’m booked a bit too far away the same days. 

However, a couple weeks after that, there is a big camera show/expo in Tuscon that I WILL be attending : https://www.wphsociety.org/events

For those into vintage gear particularly this is always a big show.   I’ll have a table and will be shedding a pretty good selection of film and digital gear…Hasselblad, Sinar, Olympus, Phase One…etc, etc, etc…it’s time to lighten the load (and I’m also looking for a couple of Hasselblad accessories)

Feb 28 24 06:27 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Studio NSFW wrote:
Sounds like it would have been a slightly productive trip, even if I would have to go to Vegas for it- but I’m booked a bit too far away the same days...

To be honest, I haven't attended WPPI for the past few years,
Before Scott Kelby's company took it over it was a HUGE convention held at MGM Grand.
The expo alone had over 350 booths, ranging from small mom and pop to the huge companies that everyone knows.
I would spend all three days at the expo and still not see it all.

After Kelby took over the expo vendors dropped drastically.  The last time I went (pre covid) there were less than 50 vendors.  I spent more time walking from the parking lot to the Mirage convention hall than I spent actually at the expo.  This year is supposed to have about 100 vendors, which still is nothing like the attendees pre-Kelby.

The rest of the convention (classes, workshops) to me is worthless. 
Several years ago I got free passes to the whole event.  I attended a portraiture class, which basically was an infomercial for some overpriced Wescott light wand.  I attended one other class and walked out halfway through it.  It too was nothing but an infomercial selling instructional DVDs from a well known photographer.

It really infuriated me that people were spending close to a grand and more just for the admission to the convention... not including travel or room, only to watch informercials.

So no, I don't and haven't endorsed WPPI, but there's still a lot of people that go so was just wondering.
This will be the first time I'm attending the Expo in about 5 years, despite the fact I live less than 15 minutes away from it (and my studio was about 1 mile from it), and am only doing it because a cute female friend wants me to go with her.

Feb 28 24 10:58 am Link

Photographer

TDSImages

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I'm going.  Last time I went was in 2020 just before the Covid shutdown.  Hopefully, it will be worth it!

Feb 28 24 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I remember when the WPPI show was a big deal. I didn't know
that it is Kelby's gig now.

When I worked for a camera store in the Bay Area(remember those).
I got free passes to the photographic equipment show at the
Moscone Center in S.F. I don't know how big of a greenhorn you'd
have to be to pay to get in there, but we were an authorized Leica
dealer and that was a magnet to dentists and attorneys.

Feb 28 24 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WPPI is a massive waste of time. The speakers are geared to people who are either just dabbling in photography or are very new to the business. An executive from LowePro once told me that they estimate that 80-90% of the "wedding photographers" there won't be shooting within 5 years so the entire show is catered to beginners and momtographers. I was on the roster to speak there twice and both times they pulled the plug because the topics I was speaking on would be "over the heads of most attendees" (copyright infringement of photographs, how to build a wedding business shooting higher volume, and so on. Back when I was the Media Manager for one of the largest wedding chapels in the world I suggested I put together a panel discussion so people could ask questions of wedding photographers who had shot over 1000 weddings and they thought that the slot would be better suited to one of their show sponsors. There's no surprise that most of the speakers there now are pitching something.

As for the expo hall, it's a joke. It really is a joke. As was mentioned, you will literally spend more time walking from the parking garage to the expo hall than you will walk the entire show. Most major vendors don't show up anymore or have booths 1/10 the size they did 10 years ago when it was at the MGM. I went last year with a friend and we were laughing at how Bay Photo's booth at the MGM used to be the size of this entire expo hall now. I used to take all my Nikon gear to get sensors cleaned there by NPS but the last time I went to WPPI Nikon didn't even have a presence there. Imagine being a PHOTOGRAPHY expo and one of the big-3 companies in the industry didn't show up. Again, it's really geared towards entry-level/beginner photographers. There really aren't any deals to be had there on actual pro gear so if you're looking for a Sachtler tripod or be able to test out a high-end Sony flash, you won't be able to do that.

I might poke my head in on Day 1 as I have a gig over at Resorts world that afternoon but I'm not expecting to find anything. I just upgraded all my video gear and would like to find a new field monitor but I doubt I'll see anything like that there. It's sad really that the new owners screwed up this show so badly but it's abundantly obvious they haven't got a clue how to put an event like this together.

Mar 02 24 07:33 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
... they thought that the slot would be better suited to one of their show sponsors.

One of the classic stories as to why I don't recommend WPPI falls along those lines and was briefly mentioned in my previous reply.

Wescott used to have a few booths at the expo.  One of them was explicitly to promote their flourescent light wand.

The portrait 'class' that I attended briefly mentioned the light wand at first, then started mentioning it more and more, and by the end of the 'class' it was mentioned every other word, pretty much a classic brainwashing technique.

Then they made the advertisement.  To paraphrase it "The light wand is normally $800 but if you act today and purchase one from an authorized vendor in the Expo you'll save $200".  They were encouraged to purchase a few of them.

The lemmings lined up to buy one.  I doubt they ever used it after buying one.

A year or two later they came out with a "new and improved" LED version.  Now their pitch changed to include "the older models are great but the newest versions are really much better and is something you really need!"

Again the lemmings lined up ready to fork over the green in their hands.

BTW, many hardware stores and mechanic supply places sell extremely similar things for hundreds of dollars less.  They can be had for less than $80 at places like Home Depot and $50 at Harbor Freight... (but they won't have the Wescott label on them).

Mar 04 24 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
One of the classic stories as to why I don't recommend WPPI falls along those lines and was briefly mentioned in my previous reply.

Wescott used to have a few booths at the expo.  One of them was explicitly to promote their flourescent light wand.

The portrait 'class' that I attended briefly mentioned the light wand at first, then started mentioning it more and more, and by the end of the 'class' it was mentioned every other word, pretty much a classic brainwashing technique.

Then they made the advertisement.  To paraphrase it "The light wand is normally $800 but if you act today and purchase one from an authorized vendor in the Expo you'll save $200".  They were encouraged to purchase a few of them.

I would swear I was in the room with you during this. I tell the identical story to people. The Ice Light. I've been shooting sales-pitch seminars for 25 years. It was identical to every get-rich-quick type presentation I've ever seen. The entire class was devoted to them selling this $700 wand.

BTW, many hardware stores and mechanic supply places sell extremely similar things for hundreds of dollars less.  They can be had for less than $80 at places like Home Depot and $50 at Harbor Freight... (but they won't have the Wescott label on them).

You can get some that change colors and are bluetooth compatible for less than 100 bucks on Amazon that do the same thing too. It's clever but overpriced. But yeah, I saw that same presentation too.

They kept encouraging me to apply to be one of the speakers there but I stopped when I was told that one of my topics sounded good and they were moving me to the final round of approvals. I never heard back from them and a week before the show last year I contacted them to find out what ever happened (to be honest, I forgot about it) and was told they forgot about me or lost my application or some other such nonsense. I really like teaching and such and have been doing it for a long time but these guys are just total amateur night.

Mar 04 24 04:00 pm Link