Forums > General Industry > Possible Scam In MM Castings

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

Just want to let everyone know that there was a recent sponsored casting seeking models and photographers that could be a scam.

The ad (which has been removed) was posted by an alleged production company based in Italy.  Their website is sketchy in that some of the text in different sections is identical and in that their list of production credits with thumbnails has no working video links.  Also, they claim to have a long history, but there is no reference to them on the Internet, other than their own website.

I applied to their MM casting ad via the email address given.

The response that I received was vague, unclear and sketchy, but it stated that "the management has decided to give you an opportunity to work for the company..."  I had applied for the cinematographer position, but some portions of their response seemed to imply that they were addressing a model, while other portions seemed to address an undesignated crew member or an entire production company.

Their response also indicated that I would receive US$12,000 for three days shooting, which would be paid via check at the end of the last shoot day.  There was an implication that crew members and talent might have to be hired, but there was no statement in regards to who would do the hiring.

I cordially replied that I require certain terms of payment, as they would be a new, unknown client and as they are from another country.  I stated that I would need 50% of the payment in advance to cover any preproduction expenses/hires.  I also mentioned that we would have to allow for enough time for their check to be deposited and for the funds to be verified by my bank.  Additionally, I stipulated that any cast or crew that they hire would have to be paid directly by them -- I could not pay their hires.

Of course, I have not received any more correspondence from them since I sent that last email.

Folks, NEVER pay anyone hired by someone unknown to you, while relying on unverified funds -- even if you just received a check!  It is likely that the perpetrator who posted this casting ad would try to get victims to send payments to bank accounts of  their chosen "models" or "crew members," which are merely accounts set up by the perpetrator to receive victims' payments.

Feb 09 24 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

What do they call themselves?

Feb 10 24 03:56 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Not sure if I am allowed to "out" them.

However, the title of their MM casting ad was, "Talent Hunt For Commercial production ."

Feb 10 24 08:33 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

There are a lot of film, TV and video production companies in Italy, in Rome particularly. But this one sounds like a scam.

Feb 10 24 08:59 am Link

Photographer

The Other Place

JSouthworth wrote:
There are a lot of film, TV and video production companies in Italy, in Rome particularly.

Thanks, Cap'n!

Feb 10 24 09:35 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Post hidden on Feb 11, 2024 04:28 am
Reason: off-topic

Feb 10 24 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

JSouthworth wrote:
One of the best known Italian film studios is Cinecitta Rome, the biggest in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinecitt%C3%A0

Roger Corman went to Italy to make The Arena (1974) because they had standing Roman sets there, saving much time and money.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069729/fullcredits

Right on topic!  Thanks!

Feb 10 24 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Moderator Note!
We have removed the account and casting referenced in the OP as we reached the same conclusion after being made aware of the issue and investigating. 

We have a helpful video and article about avoiding scams: http://bitly.com/MMavoidscams - we recommend that all members become familiar with the common scams so that the more subtle approaches do have that whiff of rottenness to them.   And, of course, if something seems off, please Contact A Moderator and report it.

Feb 11 24 08:45 am Link