Forums > Newbie Forum > Why do models request payment from photographers?

Photographer

marketingbyraj

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Why do models charge photographers for photoshoots? While I appreciate the need for compensation in modeling, photographers also invest heavily in equipment and devote significant time and effort to their craft. Just as models value their appearance, models should also recognize and respect the hard work of photographers.

Feb 08 24 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

marketingbyraj wrote:
Why do models charge photographers for photoshoots? While I appreciate the need for compensation in modeling, photographers also invest heavily in equipment and devote significant time and effort to their craft. Just as models value their appearance, models should also recognize and respect the hard work of photographers.

Not exactly short on nerve are you.

Feb 09 24 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Why do photographers charge models for photoshoots?

Why do you have a black eye?

Feb 09 24 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I am making popcorn for this one. How much should I make?

If you are wondering why models request payment, then you should ask them. If you have asked them and reject what they say, then you should not be working with models.

On the other hand, If you had a great game, they would flock to you. You have to provide something of value for models if you expect them not to request payment. So ask yourself about what you are offering. The market has spoken to you and it has told you to pay for models. I've done over 600 collaborative photoshoot with models from MM in the last few years and provided those models with imagery that helped them in their careers. I've also paid models when they brought their high profile, networking, experience and uniqueness to my portfolio, I've also had models pay me my standard rates for photograph that they wanted because of my experience, timing, capabilities, facilities, clothing and accessories.

I would suggest that you never mention that you deserve to be paid because you have photographic equipment. Models see that as an insult, because you are disregarding their shorter working career and costs for fitness, diet, travel, clothing, hair and makeup.

With any model or client, always approach them by your services improving their career or business. If you approach them strictly by how things benefit you, likely your career will suffer.

Feb 09 24 09:45 am Link

Photographer

TDSImages

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Dorola wrote:
I am making popcorn for this one. How much should I make?

If you are wondering why models request payment, then you should ask them. If you have asked them and reject what they say, then you should not be working with models.

On the other hand, If you had a great game, they would flock to you. You have to provide something of value for models if you expect them not to request payment. So ask yourself about what you are offering. The market has spoken to you and it has told you to pay for models. I've done over 600 collaborative photoshoot with models from MM in the last few years and provided those models with imagery that helped them in their careers. I've also paid models when they brought their high profile, networking, experience and uniqueness to my portfolio, I've also had models pay me my standard rates for photograph that they wanted because of my experience, timing, capabilities, facilities, clothing and accessories.

I would suggest that you never mention that you deserve to be paid because you have photographic equipment. Models see that as an insult, because you are disregarding their shorter working career and costs for fitness, diet, travel, clothing, hair and makeup.

With any model or client, always approach them by your services improving their career or business. If you approach them strictly by how things benefit you, likely your career will suffer.

Excellent point and well stated!

Feb 09 24 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

MatthewGuy

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I have a personal theory, that I realise is boarder like conspiracy.

I'm seeing posts like this on all sorts of forums (Not just here, but even places like Reddit etc), that has me thinking that the poster isn't being antagonistic (a troll) or "Just asking because I want to know".

This is where I realise I may be taking this too the extreme of stupidity: That these posts are created by more for A.I. learning purposes. Mostly because of the "1 logical point, a 2nd logical point, then a 3rd logical point leading to an illogical conclusion".

In this particular case "Logical point: I buy expensive camera equipment so the illogical point of I need payment".

Feb 09 24 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It would seem as though the concept of supply-and-demand hasn't made it's way to Bangkok yet.

Feb 10 24 01:03 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

marketingbyraj wrote:
Why do models charge photographers for photoshoots? While I appreciate the need for compensation in modeling, photographers also invest heavily in equipment and devote significant time and effort to their craft.

You've answered your own question; models have bills to pay and who would pay them for their modelling if not the person they work for or work with, usually the photographer?

The law of supply and demand also plays a role. There are more photographers than there are models, particularly for nude work.

Feb 10 24 04:16 am Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

Models charge for shoots because people pay them and models decide the payment offered is acceptable.

Feb 10 24 10:25 am Link

Photographer

PhotoshootNinja

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Models charge because they can. Photographers charge because they can. It's a marketplace.

When the value proposition is far greater on one side the other side typically pays. When it is more even trades / collabs frequently occur.

Online model / photographer directories, such as MM, always skew towards the photographers paying models; it's due to behavior economics closely related to the fact that the majority of photographers are male and the majority of models are female.

If you're wanting to do more trade shoots my recommendation would be to have a really great presence on IG, solid work, great reputation / word of mouth, and offline networking.

If you're looking to get more paid work, MM is not the place to do it. Consider online ads in your area going to something offering shoot packages.

Feb 11 24 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

PhotoshootNinja wrote:
Online model / photographer directories, such as MM, always skew towards the photographers paying models; it's due to behavior economics closely related to the fact that the majority of photographers are male and the majority of models are female.

Stereotypically, photographers were usually male in times past but females outnumber males on college photography courses in the area I live in.

In the 1950s there were female photographers working successfully with female models, Bunny Yeager was perhaps the best known.

Feb 12 24 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Supply and Demand.  There are 3 photographers for every model on this website.  Buying expensive equipment does not necessarily make you a photographer worthy of charging.

Feb 12 24 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Joanie Allum is another female photographer who began as a model;

https://carlasez.com/joanie-allum-photographer-erotica/

Feb 16 24 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

MatthewGuy wrote:
I buy expensive camera equipment so the illogical point of I need payment.

It's much easier for me to buy cameras than it is for me to make myself beautiful.

Feb 16 24 08:37 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

marketingbyraj wrote:

When you do digital marketing or business development consultanting, do you charge for your time?  If so, why?

Feb 16 24 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Alberto F

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't have a problem paying as long as they are ok with not being able to have access to the photos for their use.

Feb 17 24 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

marketingbyraj wrote:
Why do models charge photographers for photoshoots?

I think that you might want to take "PR expert" out of the first line of your bio here.

Feb 18 24 02:55 am Link

Photographer

marketingbyraj

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I don't mean that models shouldn't charge. What I'm suggesting is that models should engage in collaborative efforts with photographers, working together to create. When models request payment, they should also consider the potential benefits of collaboration.

Feb 19 24 11:24 pm Link