Forums > Critique > Wilhelmina Model, Any Advice for Portfolio?

Model

Jonah Devoy

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hello everyone, I am a Wilhelmina model and I have finally started to get a bit of diversity in my portfolio and Instagram but I am uncertain if the ones I have posted are enough to catch people's eye. Any input would be great and I would love any advice on what people may want to see!

Jan 18 24 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

A portfolio is only as strong as the weakest image. And less is more, while more is too many. Every new model falls into the trap of thinking several images of a given outfit/setting/theme/pose are a good idea. This is due to inexperience leading to lack of certainty as to which is best, and is to be expected. As you work with different photographers, you will find they take a zillion shots, and the best shooters will select just one, or maybe two for the final output. The strongest model portfolios are the same: no two images look at all alike.

I know, just getting started, you only have a few images total. And you are not certain which a given photographer/art director will like best. You will learn these things with time, and your portfolio will show it in due time. In the meantime, be ruthless about using only the very best you have. After all, anybody can produce a mediocre image without any effort. The folks choosing models, however, only want the best they can afford to hire. And the best have no weak images, never mind the one-less-than-a-zillion throwaways from that last shoot.

Go to every test you can. Every shoot you attend, pick just one to add. Of the shots you have up, there are two likely to survive long. This is not because you did anything wrong, or are not worthy, it is because there are look alikes that will go away as you gain more variety. Best of luck, work your ass off, and I hope to see you in lots of ads in the future.

Jan 19 24 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

"what people may want to see" Magazine covers and Tearsheets or other Named Credits Jonah
Lacking those I would recommend you study the Men's Main Board for the very top agencies in NYC...
Such as DNA Models https://www.dnamodels.com/div/men-main-board
It is there you will find your competition...

That said, you are indeed in the right market since NYC is the Epicenter of the Fashion Industry...
However since you mentioned "Acting" in your MM Bio (i.e. Experience at the Barrow Group Performing Arts Center)
That is another paradigm entirely where your persona is often validated in "Reels" rather than image posts. Mayhem isn't well suited for "Acting" Talent... Look here to IG (Instagram) where Reels i.e. videos are ubiquitous and the norm for Actors an such.

What have your Wilhelmina bookers shared with you on the aforementioned? Listen carefully to them and maybe ignore MM feedback if Acting is your mission purpose.  Can you do both? Again ask your Wilhelmina bookers since they currently represent you...

In my eyes you have an epic presence on camera and I would certainly consider testing with you if you were in my market... 
Hope this helps or is at least food for thought... enough said

Jan 19 24 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Hi Jonah....I love your look...!!...Here's what I would like to see more of...when you go to take your head shots...your very first shot, shows your full face...where as the headshot with your strong jawline showing...(last shot second row)...makes your face shots..much more Special....so show that jawline....with a slight angle your face.....!!...*Best of Luck* in all you do, I just followed you on IG, too..!!....Great look...Keep going..!!

Jan 20 24 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Isn't this a question you should be asking of your agents at Wilhelmina ?

They know better than anyone what their clients are looking for.

Jan 21 24 02:17 pm Link