Forums > Newbie Forum > Newbie questions

Photographer

nathaniel24370

Austin, Texas, US

Hello, so I take it that modelmayhem is only for building a portfolio, not making money? Because I didn't come here to really make a whole lot or have to pay a whole lot either but every model wants $300+ for photoshoots, but what do the real professional photographers and retouchers and editors get in return? I feel as though those are the guys that are actually putting in the majority of the work.

Jan 15 24 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Don't double post

Jan 23 24 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

nathaniel24370 wrote:
Hello, so I take it that modelmayhem is only for building a portfolio, not making money? Because I didn't come here to really make a whole lot or have to pay a whole lot either but every model wants $300+ for photoshoots, but what do the real professional photographers and retouchers and editors get in return? I feel as though those are the guys that are actually putting in the majority of the work.

I've found (in a highly unscientific but still most likely accurate study) is that the majority of the overpriced MM models have almost nothing but selfies in their portfolios.  The rates they're asking are higher than rates from legitimate agencies in my area.

I don't think they're in demand or getting the amount of pay that they portray to be getting. 
(I became friends with a few of them and KNOW that to be true.)
One wannabee sees the rates and duplicate them in their profile thinking it'll work for them too.

Jan 24 24 11:09 am Link