Forums > Newbie Forum > Rural photographer asking a question..

Photographer

Sincity sounds good

Warner Robins, Georgia, US

Hi,

Just asking how to attract traveling models to go to rural areas instead of metro.   I know the model has better chances of booking in metro, and understand that model has to travel farther..   But I want to ask the group on what works and what doesn't..

My example.. I live two hours from ATL, and that means it's four hours that the model isn't booking any job..  And it isn't fair for me to pay a full day rate when I use only two hours.

Dec 22 23 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Some models travel by car and will plot a course based on bookings. Set up notifications to give you notice when a model travels to cities near you. Look at the models page and often they will post the cities they are visiting. If you see they are traveling from one city to another and will pass near you contact them and inquire to see if they will adjust their route to include you.

Dec 22 23 05:32 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Znude! wrote:
Some models travel by car and will plot a course based on bookings. Set up notifications to give you notice when a model travels to cities near you. Look at the models page and often they will post the cities they are visiting. If you see they are traveling from one city to another and will pass near you contact them and inquire to see if they will adjust their route to include you.

This has worked well for me, even in the rust belt. :-)

Dec 22 23 06:05 am Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

You're going to have to really hustle.

Catching models when they are driving through your area is not a bad strategy at all.

You can post your own availability/casting calls as traveling models also hustle to find work and may come across you that way.

Meet some other local photographers that hire models. They may not be willing to come for one shoot but will come for several shoots. More shoots = more money = worth it.

What works best for me is to go to where the models are. Make a weekend trip and treat the models right. You also may be able to find group shoot events that will have several models. You'll shoot more and expand your model network. Models that know you are going to be more likely to come to you.

Dec 22 23 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

Sincity sounds good wrote:
Hi,

Just asking how to attract traveling models to go to rural areas instead of metro.   I know the model has better chances of booking in metro, and understand that model has to travel farther..   But I want to ask the group on what works and what doesn't..

My example.. I live two hours from ATL, and that means it's four hours that the model isn't booking any job..  And it isn't fair for me to pay a full day rate when I use only two hours.

You're not far off I-75 so maybe scheduling your shoots with Atlanta models passing through might work? Just a thought.

Jan 18 24 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Sincity sounds good wrote:
--snip--

Book for more hours. Why limit yourself to two hours? Booking a full day means more creativity, less rush, and for me, a more enjoyable shoot.

When I travel to a location and hire a model, I might be shooting with her for 2-5 days.
I also book half days on the road, and for the right concept (e.g., underwater), I get some models driving quite a distance to shoot.
At home, a typical studio shoot is 3-4 hours long for me.
Even local outdoor shoots require travel time, so a limited 2 hour shoot is too rushed.

Sure, your costs go up, but if done right, your success rate and enjoyment goes up as well.

Jan 19 24 05:03 am Link