Forums > Critique > Help me become more discerning

Photographer

Andy762

Augusta, Georgia, US

Hi, I'm quite new to photography and although I feel like I'm getting better, I don't think I have the capacity to be deliberate enough.

I take pictures which I personally think are good, but I don't know objectively what makes one better than another.

In my profile I have 3 pictures from a Halloween shoot of a blonde. I like all 3 about equally, but I know more experienced photographers could clearly pick apart what makes each better or worse from the others.

I would like some straight shooting, objective feedback on why (or what metrics) make any one of the three the best, and same for the worst.

Thick skin activated, so bring on the critique. Thank you!

Oct 26 23 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Welcome to the Mayhem!
The first of the three images is by far the best one: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/48101411

The other two are too centered and not interesting compositions.

With regards to the first image, consider stopping the lens down for more depth of field so both the face and the hand are sharp. A tripod can be your friend as well, surf your local thrift stores and photography shops for a good used one, even if it is well beaten. Make sure it's fully functional but don't buy a cheap tripod. You need something sturdy, even if it has a fair amount of weight. A good monopod is also useful, both of these tools allow you to shoot at slower shutter speeds without blurring from camera movement. When shooting models, if they are good at staying still for the exposure then all is well. If they tend to move a bit then no tripod will help.

Keep at it!!!!

Oct 26 23 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Andy762

Augusta, Georgia, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Welcome to the Mayhem!
The first of the three images is by far the best one: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/48101411

The other two are too centered and not interesting compositions.

With regards to the first image, consider stopping the lens down for more depth of field so both the face and the hand are sharp. A tripod can be your friend as well, surf your local thrift stores and photography shops for a good used one, even if it is well beaten. Make sure it's fully functional but don't buy a cheap tripod. You need something sturdy, even if it has a fair amount of weight. A good monopod is also useful, both of these tools allow you to shoot at slower shutter speeds without blurring from camera movement. When shooting models, if they are good at staying still for the exposure then all is well. If they tend to move a bit then no tripod will help.

Keep at it!!!!

Great feedback, thank you!

Oct 26 23 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I think your best bet is to ask yourself why you should care what other camera club members think of your work. They are definitely not going to purchase anything from you and like dumpster diving you going to have to go thru a lot of useless stuff before you find a little nugget of truth.
If you and I are standing side by side in a gallery looking at a photo we are more than likely going to have different thoughts and opinions about that photo, and both of our opinions will probably have merit. I think one thing in common with 99.9% of the famous photographers is they did a shit load of work and took thousands if not hundreds of thousands of photos and realized if they were to get a style of their own those were the main ingredients.
Every time I do a shoot the first thing I ask myself is why am I even bothering with this since I suck at photography? I usually hate all my pictures and can't look at them for a while before I realize hey I'm not Richard Avedon, I am supposed to be doing this for fun so why not just enjoy the experience if I am serious about something I have done "wrong" find a way to make it different that suits my tastes and be content.
There are a lot of photographers that have great you tube channels that are really inspiring, my favorite guy right now is Peter Coulson he really (for me) gets to the core of making his style of shooting work. The photographic eye is another channel that delves into some of the underlying values of well known photographers.

Oct 26 23 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

G Wilson

Dallas, Texas, US

Acraftman1313 wrote:
I think your best bet is to ask yourself why you should care what other camera club members think of your work. They are definitely not going to purchase anything from you and like dumpster diving you going to have to go thru a lot of useless stuff before you find a little nugget of truth.
If you and I are standing side by side in a gallery looking at a photo we are more than likely going to have different thoughts and opinions about that photo, and both of our opinions will probably have merit. I think one thing in common with 99.9% of the famous photographers is they did a shit load of work and took thousands if not hundreds of thousands of photos and realized if they were to get a style of their own those were the main ingredients.
Every time I do a shoot the first thing I ask myself is why am I even bothering with this since I suck at photography? I usually hate all my pictures and can't look at them for a while before I realize hey I'm not Richard Avedon, I am supposed to be doing this for fun so why not just enjoy the experience if I am serious about something I have done "wrong" find a way to make it different that suits my tastes and be content.
There are a lot of photographers that have great you tube channels that are really inspiring, my favorite guy right now is Peter Coulson he really (for me) gets to the core of making his style of shooting work. The photographic eye is another channel that delves into some of the underlying values of well known photographers.

Enough Said!!

Oct 26 23 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Andy762

Augusta, Georgia, US

Acraftman1313 wrote:

In many of your statements, I agree, you're right. I don't so much care to chase approval of MM members, but I guess let me provide an analogy to shed some light on my sentiments.

In regard to Italian food, I like lean cuisine tv dinner Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo, more than Carrabbas. But if I were hosting a dinner party, the Carrabbas would be more well received amongst guests. Just like photography, taste is subjective, and I shouldn't renounce my preference of Lean Cuisine just because most people would choose Carrabbas. But there's a time and a place I better select the higher end option.

Right now my photography is to entertain me, but in the future that may not be the case, it may be to entertain others, provide satisfaction to others, and to garner the attention of others. For this reason, I am searching for others to steer me towards what they consider to be favorable. At the root of it, I would think this entire section of the forum based around critique serves to move photographers towards the goal of producing photography that is the utmost pleasing to the utmost number of viewers.

Anyway, I do appreciate your thoughts. I will check out the 2 youtube channels you gave a shout out to, and I value your words about focusing on what I like and finding a style of my own!

Oct 26 23 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

1 and 2 are meant for very different uses. I think both are good in their own way.  Seen a ton like 1 but few like 2. Good for the zombe crowd. For the intended use, I think it's fine, much better the 3 and 4.   Oh,.... Banquet  for me. :-)

Oct 26 23 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rhea Monson

Walnut Grove, Alabama, US

Of those 3,  the third is better than the other 2 combined.  # 1 has flare and prospective disorder.
# 2 is squared and flat, and the background is partly washed out. # 3 looks like it could be a shot from a horror movie.
It's well framed, and the facial expression is better.
       All this being said your own opinion is still the final straw. Remember, if you're taking a lesson, you have to please the teacher, to pass. If you're entering a contest you have to please judge to win. If shooting for money, you have to please
the customer, to sale. If shooting for pleasure, you have only to please yourself, and not all of these people will have the
same ideas. So each time you look at your photo ask yourself,--- did I do what I intended to do?
        Choose your subject, decide how to draw attention to your subject, and simplify by doing away with distractions.
when you're asked what is your best photo, just smile and reply with confidence, ---My next one.
         Welcome to MM, and happy photographing.
        Oh and b t w, getting advise from others does help to sharpen one's skill. Pick out what is useful to you,
and let yourself grow.

Oct 26 23 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The first photo from the Halloween shoot is composed well.
However, she has not a hair out of place and has a gentle, caring expression on her face.
She appears to be reaching out tenderly for someone.
Convincing as a zombie? Not in the slightest.
If you can shoot again with this model, have her dress in some other attire - lose the flannel shirt and completely drop the 'gore' theme (the worst thing about these three images)  - and go for some portraiture.
Keep the jeans and crop top if you like unless she has other garments she would like to use.
She's probably a good model.

Oct 27 23 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Midnight Picnic

Los Angeles, California, US

Your model does an excellent job posing with her hands.  All too often, a model's hands are posed flat back to camera, and this model knows to do something more interesting (or you posed her well).

The gore make-up on her neck is never properly seen.  It looks kind of like she is supposed to have a slit throat, but you can't tell for sure in any of the pictures.  I would have liked to see at least one clear shot of her neck to show off that work.

Oct 27 23 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Andy762

Augusta, Georgia, US

Rhea Monson wrote:
Of those 3,  the third is better than the other 2 combined.  # 1 has flare and prospective disorder.
# 2 is squared and flat, and the background is partly washed out. # 3 looks like it could be a shot from a horror movie.
It's well framed, and the facial expression is better.
       All this being said your own opinion is still the final straw. Remember, if you're taking a lesson, you have to please the teacher, to pass. If you're entering a contest you have to please judge to win. If shooting for money, you have to please
the customer, to sale. If shooting for pleasure, you have only to please yourself, and not all of these people will have the
same ideas. So each time you look at your photo ask yourself,--- did I do what I intended to do?
        Choose your subject, decide how to draw attention to your subject, and simplify by doing away with distractions.
when you're asked what is your best photo, just smile and reply with confidence, ---My next one.
         Welcome to MM, and happy photographing.
        Oh and b t w, getting advise from others does help to sharpen one's skill. Pick out what is useful to you,
and let yourself grow.

Thank you thank you! Very good feedback! I have a shoot this afternoon, I'll be remembering these things as I'm out there!

Oct 29 23 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Andy762

Augusta, Georgia, US

sweet gamine wrote:
The first photo from the Halloween shoot is composed well.
However, she has not a hair out of place and has a gentle, caring expression on her face.
She appears to be reaching out tenderly for someone.
Convincing as a zombie? Not in the slightest.
If you can shoot again with this model, have her dress in some other attire - lose the flannel shirt and completely drop the 'gore' theme (the worst thing about these three images)  - and go for some portraiture.
Keep the jeans and crop top if you like unless she has other garments she would like to use.
She's probably a good model.

Good advice, and you draw light to something I hadn't noticed, the conflict of emotion the model is portraying while being an undead zombie :'D

Oct 29 23 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Welcome to the Mayhem Andy...
On reviewing your book I find your excellent fitness narrative to be the strongest within...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/48107886
Elegant variant of Rembrandt Illumination here... Your low camera angle conveys an air of authority and strength...
The interplay between shadow and highlights lend an aura of compelling bias relief...

Lovely color harmonies latent within... albeit the lower crop is a bit tight...
Had you considered keeping both dumbbells entirely within the frame? 

Wonderful synergy with this talent... Love the catch lights in her eyes... And her Mona Lisa smile... 
Very well done... More like this k?

Food for thought... There is a Japanese motto "Focus on your single purpose"
Fitness is a stellar genre and many that enjoy same would likely be amenable to model for you in trade for imagery...

Hope this helps Andy...
All the best on your photographic journey

Oct 30 23 08:55 pm Link