Forums > Model Colloquy > What to do with the "girly bits" photos

Photographer

thatzkatz

Northridge, California, US

I shoot fine art nudes. I don't shoot glamour or cheesecake. I mostly shoot TFP.  Recently, several models were very "open" with their poses, consciously showing very NSFW content. Usually, if it's one or two "slips," I don't send those to the models as that's just what happens when you're posing nude, and O.F. content is not what I'm aiming for - which is why I presume is the reason the models choose to work with me. But with these recent experiences, I don't know if I should ask the model if she wants these more graphic images along with my regular selections, or not.

I presume I'm not the only photographer who has this experience, so I'd appreciate guidance from both photos and models. How should I treat the "girly bits" photos that were not in my mood-board?  Also, do any of you discuss this question up-front with each other before the session?

Sep 07 23 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

thatzkatz wrote:
Recently, several models were very "open" with their poses, showing very NSFW content. Usually, if it's one or two "slips," I don't send those to the models as that's just what happens when you're posing nude

The time to discuss this is at the moment of the slip.

You are responsible to not take the shot. If you do take the shot, you should deliver the shot along with all of the other images so that the model can evaluate her posing.

Edit: I have seen this situation occur during group shoots. I refused to take the shot and I mentioned the problem but no one else seemed concerned.

Sep 07 23 11:04 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

When I shoot TFP, if the TFP agreement is for all images to be shared with the model, then all images are shared.

When I shoot images with a model that has agreed to shoot implied nudity only, I will stop and let her know that she is showing more than agreed upon as soon as I notice it. When I review images post shoot, images that have captured more than what was agreed upon (nip slips etc.) are deleted.

Sep 07 23 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Los Angeles, California, US

You don't have to act like being a photographer is a libido-less exercise. You had fun, it was hot, she posed, you shot.

If she told you she was avoiding that, you let her know about her pose, you direct.

If it was unspecified, don't worry about it. Just send them over if that's the agreement. You run the same gamble of the model liking the photos as with any photo set.

You're assuming your portfolio is what models expect exclusively. I don't think that's a good assumption. Increase your communication with the individual person you're shooting with.

Do the pictures look good, aesthetically, and from composition standards? That's all that should matter, you're overthinking this.

Sep 07 23 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What would You expect a from a professional photographer if it was Your wife that was being photographed?

Would you want some A-Hole Creep out there who snuck some photos of her 'girly bits' and she never knew they were showing (and certainly didn't ask to have them in the photos)?

You'd probably call the police . . . (at least I'd hope you would) !

Sep 07 23 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

We call those "out takes". If you are using digital, just delete them, if they aren't part of what you do.

Rick

Sep 07 23 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zap Industries

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

That's happened to me a few times while shooting TF. To be fair, with a long shoot that spans 100's of pics, sometimes you just don't realize it while shooting. Sometimes it's something minor, such as a water bottle left in the corner of the pic. Other times while shooting implieds, well, it can be a bit more surprising.

I once did a towel set with implied nudity. For one part, the model was supposed to hold the towel in front of her. Her sides were shown, so she couldn't have any clothes on underneath the towel, but it completely covered her boobs and private area. I took a ton of pics, and we moved onto the next picture set and so on, until the photoshoot was complete and she went home.

Later that night while I was looking through them, I noticed that in a few of the pictures she lifted the towel way too high, fully exposing her vagina. I couldn't believe that neither of us noticed it at the time, but I guess it happens. She was quite careful too, even telling me that she was glad that I had no mirrors in the room.

Anyway, I still sent her every pic. That was the agreement.

Oct 28 23 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

The idea that a photograph can be defined as artistic on the basis of which parts of the human body are visible is obvious nonsense. What we're dealing with here is merely a convention within photography whereby the term "art nude" or "fine art nude" is used to describe photographs which do not show the model's pubic area.

Personally I don't see the need to make an issue out of what you can or can't see in a photograph, when the objectives of the photographer are artistic, beyond the extent to which the subject content affects the overall visual balance and visual impact of the image, which will always be dependent on the viewer to some extent but in general, the audience for art photography is made up of sophisticated people.

In practical terms "art nude" levels restrict the range of poses possible, in a frontal standing pose for example it is typically necessary for the model to keep her legs together or even cross them over, which makes a normal stance or an active pose impossible.

Oct 29 23 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

thatzkatz wrote:
I don't know if I should ask the model if she wants these more graphic images along with my regular selections

This sounds more like a work process issue than a moral quandry.

Do you spend time adjusting, retouching, and sending photos to the model when they are out of focus? What about when they sneeze or blink or make a weird hand shape or the lights don't fire? What about when you get 5 of *exactly* the same thing because you accidentally turned on burst mode?

Artists send their best and trash the rest. Don't make the model do the work of sorting through photos that provide them no benefit or that don't meet the goals of the shoot, regardless of the reason.

As for the argument above that genitals can be in art too? Sure, fine, yes. But if the model wants a beautifully-lit fine art photo of their genitals, they know how to ask. But if the shoot concept didn't include that as a goal, it's just one more shot that shouldn't make it past the first round of culling.

Oct 29 23 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

rGlenndonShoots

Atlanta, Georgia, US

thatzkatz wrote:
Recently, several models were very "open" with their poses, consciously showing very NSFW content.

How should I treat the "girly bits" photos that were not in my mood-board?  Also, do any of you discuss this question up-front with each other before the session?

If it’s happening with several models, consider the possibility that you may be inadvertently signaling those poses. Maybe. It’s my experience that good models will follow both your spoken directions as well as your unspoken lead. Maybe you create an easy, relaxed session like many of us.

On my very first outdoor session with a brand new model (her first shoot), I was flashed ala Basic Instinct. Instinctively my finger left the shutter button as I waited for her to settle. When it happened again I asked her to move her dress a bit “for modesty” She and I laugh now but the moment was a bit awkward and surprised her at the time. I took the pressure off laughing at my own prudish word choice and with the awkwardness dissipated, addressed things. Turns out she just wanted to add a touch of sexy to the shots and didn’t realize that labia were showing.

Long story short. As the shooter, watching everything, you see these things as they happen. Communicate ASAP. 
To answer your question, I do discuss beforehand the type and feel of the shots we’ll make.

Oct 29 23 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

The only person who can answer your question honestly is the model you are working with.
None of us know her opinion. If YOU don't want to take open leg photos, that's your choice and should be made clear at the beginning of the shoot. If the model happens to pose with labia showing, you should tell her before taking a photo. You can be calm and mild-mannered about it. If they want to take those photos and you don't mind AND you've made certain that they understand what is going to be in the images, then you might want to discuss how to proceed with the model regarding what happens with those images after the shoot and who is allowed to view upon them.

This is simple stuff, most important is dealing with it prior to and/or the moment it occurs. Coming on here later is pretty useless.

Oct 29 23 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

thatzkatz wrote:
Recently, several models were very "open" with their poses, consciously showing very NSFW content… But with these recent experiences, I don't know if I should ask the model if she wants these more graphic images along with my regular selections, or not.

If several models are doing XYZ and you’re not sure how to deal with XYZ, you might consider adding a discussion about XYZ to your preshoot process.

thatzkatz wrote:
How should I treat the "girly bits" photos that were not in my mood-board?

Models are individual people. Sessions are unique. Only you and each model can answer what is appropriate or expected so that all involved are satisfied.

thatzkatz wrote:
Also, do any of you discuss this question up-front with each other before the session?

Yes. Every time.

Oct 30 23 05:33 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

No models replied yet?  OK then, here are my thoughts, which do not necessarily represent those of other models.

As a model I would appreciate being shown the photos in question if they were truly taken by accident and it wasn't obvious at the time that the pose was showing more than had been asked for. I am typically very, very casual about my poses and don't intentionally try to avoid having intimate areas showing unless the photographer specifically requests that level of attention.  After seeing them I would either give permission for them to be used, or agree with the photographer's opinion that they should be deleted if neither of us wanted to use them. 

It has always been my opinion that all body parts and areas are equal, and that there is nothing wrong with showing intimate areas in photos. I've certainly posed for enough shots where intentionally nothing is left to the imagination over the years. But the model and photographer both need to be aware when such photos are taken, and when a photo session is specifically intended to include such photos that needs to be discussed in advance of booking the assignment.

Oct 30 23 10:00 am Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

My camera just 'develops' a "malfunction" until the pose changes.
This includes strings that shouldn't ever appear in an image, the appearance of something in an implied shot, etc.

Nov 11 23 10:50 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

One of the conventions in traditional art nude photography is that you don't show the model's pubic area. There are others; the model is not supposed to express emotion, or look directly at the camera, or do anything that would suggest an awareness of the camera's presence. So in a sense the traditional art nude photograph is a more voyeuristic type of picture than the glamour, or art photograph in which these rules don't apply.

The soles of the feet are another area which are not supposed to be shown in traditional art nude photography, according to the article, "nude photography" in the Focal Encyclopedia of Photography, which admittedly is an old book, originally published in the 1950s. At this time it was usually illegal in the US and UK to publish or distribute photographs showing external genitalia, so commercial photographers had to either pose their models to avoid showing the pubic area which was restrictive, or retouch their photographs to obscure these details, with unnatural looking results.

Legality and acceptability are not of course the only issues involved, to the extent that they are issues. In a picture showing the model's pubic area, or in a series of such pictures the sexual element may become overbearing, unless it is balanced by other elements in the composition. In other words a greater premium is placed on the photographer's aesthetic judgement and control. Formal training in the arts, if you have any may be useful.

Nov 13 23 03:37 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

JSouthworth wrote:
One of the conventions in traditional art nude photography is that you don't show the model's pubic area. There are others; the model is not supposed to express emotion, or look directly at the camera, or do anything that would suggest an awareness of the camera's presence. So in a sense the traditional art nude photograph is a more voyeuristic type of picture than the glamour, or art photograph in which these rules don't apply.

The soles of the feet are another area which are not supposed to be shown in traditional art nude photography, according to the article, "nude photography" in the Focal Encyclopedia of Photography, which admittedly is an old book, originally published in the 1950s. At this time it was usually illegal in the US and UK to publish or distribute photographs showing external genitalia, so commercial photographers had to either pose their models to avoid showing the pubic area which was restrictive, or retouch their photographs to obscure these details, with unnatural looking results.

Your 'conventions' are at least 25 years out-of-date.

Nov 13 23 08:43 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

JSouthworth wrote:
In practical terms "art nude" levels restrict the range of poses possible, in a frontal standing pose for example it is typically necessary for the model to keep her legs together or even cross them over, which makes a normal stance or an active pose impossible.

Mature, intelligent people (both models and photographers) engage in meaningful discussion about precisely what will be shot and reach agreement without relying on the use of outdated or readily misunderstood terms.

Nov 13 23 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

P R E S T O N wrote:

Mature, intelligent people (both models and photographers) engage in meaningful discussion about precisely what will be shot and reach agreement without relying on the use of outdated or readily misunderstood terms.

It's almost as if an AI robotic mechanism has ingested billions of discrete data bits and tried to make the leap to general inferences without one whiff of human sensibility or intuition or logic  or experience. Fascinating, actually.

Nov 13 23 09:12 am Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'd show them to the model and ask for her thoughts about them.  That way you are seen as being totally up front about the situation, and she gets to make the decision.

Nov 13 23 10:25 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Mark Salo wrote:

The time to discuss this is at the moment of the slip.

That's what I do. If a model is showing more than my understanding of what was agreed before the shoot commenced, then I pause and alert her to that fact. Having said that, the common response I've received is to STFU and keep shooting. Makes me feel like a prude for interfering with the flow of the shoot but I do it with every model, just in case.

TBH though I only get this with fairly inexperienced models who it seems want to explore their limits if they feel comfortable enough to do so, but without the sense of obligation or pressure which can arise if discussed in advance.

Nov 13 23 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

thatzkatz wrote:
I presume I'm not the only photographer who has this experience, so I'd appreciate guidance from both photos and models. How should I treat the "girly bits" photos that were not in my mood-board?  Also, do any of you discuss this question up-front with each other before the session?

I find the best approach is to discuss levels and posing before the shoot so as to reach a mutual understanding, and then let the model, or models do their thing during the shoot with minimal direction, allowing you to concentrate on the photography. Let the models express themselves, try not to interrupt the shoot more than is necessary for breaks, changing cameras/lenses/backdrops and so on.

Nov 15 23 02:45 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

JSouthworth wrote:

I find the best approach is to discuss levels and posing before the shoot so as to reach a mutual understanding, and then let the model, or models do their thing during the shoot with minimal direction, allowing you to concentrate on the photography. Let the models express themselves, try not to interrupt the shoot more than is necessary for breaks, changing cameras/lenses/backdrops and so on.

Take a look at the photos in your portfolio and ask yourself if they really depict 'models doing their thing with minimal direction'. It's clear to me, and I suspect others too, that you grossly underestimate your particular contribution to the aesthetic, style and content of modelling and photography during your shoots. Own it dude.

Nov 15 23 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

thatzkatz wrote:
How should I treat the "girly bits" photos that were not in my mood-board?

Delete them so they don't waste valuable storage space.

Nov 15 23 11:36 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:

As a general rule, time spent discussing levels or posing with the model during the shoot itself, is time wasted. An hour or two hours may seem like plenty of time, but it isn't, because you have a lot to do. Time spent talking will significantly reduce the productivity of the shoot in terms of numbers of pictures.

The really important thing is to choose the right model, or models for a shoot. They must have the right looks, and it's just as important to reach an understanding with them as to what you're going to shoot, before you book a shoot with them.

Nov 16 23 08:27 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

JSouthworth wrote:

As a general rule, time spent discussing levels or posing with the model during the shoot itself, is time wasted. An hour or two hours may seem like plenty of time, but it isn't, because you have a lot to do. Time spent talking will significantly reduce the productivity of the shoot in terms of numbers of pictures.

The really important thing is to choose the right model, or models for a shoot. They must have the right looks, and it's just as important to reach an understanding with them as to what you're going to shoot, before you book a shoot with them.

The mind boggles as to how much time you spend discussing a shoot with a model prior to booking if, as you state, discussion during a shoot would impinge significantly on a shoot of 'an hour or two hours'. Mind you, I often see models complain about photographers who engage in constant 'ping-pong' in messages - perhaps your approach is not uncommon.

BTW - most models and photographers I know prefer quality over 'number of pictures'. Slowing down a bit, taking your time and easing off your trigger finger is likely to pay dividends.

Nov 16 23 09:37 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

P R E S T O N wrote:

Take a look at the photos in your portfolio and ask yourself if they really depict 'models doing their thing with minimal direction'. It's clear to me, and I suspect others too, that you grossly underestimate your particular contribution to the aesthetic, style and content of modelling and photography during your shoots.

You don't like my work? Good. It would be annoying to think that we had anything in common beyond the fact the fact that we live in the same country.

Nov 16 23 09:44 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

JSouthworth wrote:

You don't like my work? Good. It would be annoying to think that we had anything in common beyond the fact the fact that we live in the same country.

If you're looking for critique you need to request it here:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/8
Site rules I'm afraid.

Nov 16 23 09:47 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:

I think it's also important to have well defined ideas as to what you want to shoot in a photo session, and also a realistic idea of what the models are able to deliver, coupled with an ability to adapt, especially when the model is one you haven't worked with before. I used to write out a detailed plan before each shoot to refer to, but I came to realise that it wasn't very useful. Now I just write down a few ideas in a note book. If the model looks good posing with a particular prop or hat it may make sense to shoot more pictures with that item, rather than moving on to something else simply because the plan calls for it.

Nov 16 23 10:09 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

JSouthworth wrote:
I think it's also important to have well defined ideas as to what you want to shoot in a photo session, and also a realistic idea of what the models are able to deliver, coupled with an ability to adapt, especially when the model is one you haven't worked with before. I used to write out a detailed plan before each shoot to refer to, but I came to realise that it wasn't very useful. Now I just write down a few ideas in a note book. If the model looks good posing with a particular prop or hat it may make sense to shoot more pictures with that item, rather than moving on to something else simply because the plan calls for it.

Dude, you're thread-hijacking again.

Take a peek at the OP's portfolio and background and ask yourself, honestly, if he's likely to be the least bit interested in how you approach your shoots. Your rabbiting does not assist the OP in any way. MOVE AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!

Nov 16 23 10:47 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

thatzkatz wrote:
I shoot fine art nudes. I don't shoot glamour or cheesecake. I mostly shoot TFP.  Recently, several models were very "open" with their poses, consciously showing very NSFW content. Usually, if it's one or two "slips," I don't send those to the models as that's just what happens when you're posing nude, and O.F. content is not what I'm aiming for - which is why I presume is the reason the models choose to work with me. But with these recent experiences, I don't know if I should ask the model if she wants these more graphic images along with my regular selections, or not.

Here's my suggestion - stop calling women's genitals "girly bits." It sounds pedophilic. Use adult words.

And just because you find images with vulva showing distasteful doesn't mean that your model does. This is what an adult discussion is for. Before the shoot and/or during the shoot. Speak up if you are uncomfortable shooting certain things. Or pay better attention and don't take the "offensive" images to start with.

Nov 16 23 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Thatzkatz wrote:
I shoot fine art nudes. I don't shoot glamour or cheesecake.

Model MoRina wrote:
Here's my suggestion - stop calling women's genitals "girly bits." It sounds pedophilic. Use adult words.

A good point. Using adult vocabulary is a good idea if you want anybody to take you seriously as an artist, which presumably you do if you claim that your work is "fine art nude" photography. Personally I find that term pretentious in this context.

On the other hand some artists seem to go too far in writing lots of wordy twaddle to accompany their work, which most people would need a good dictionary to decode.

Andy Warhol's work in photography is considered fine art, he made films as well of course. But most photography is considered as photography rather than as fine art. In education there are photography courses and fine art courses, with some overlap.

Nov 17 23 05:17 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

JSouthworth moves, once again, to hijack yet another thread.

This time he wants to hijack the thread to debate what is fine art...

Nov 17 23 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

Here's a suggestion, old chap: Book a session for 3-4 hours. Speak to the model. Slow down. Who knows, you may even produce  some "fine-art " after all.

"The really important thing is to choose the right model."

When exactly has that not been so?

Nov 17 23 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Richard Tallent wrote:

thatzkatz wrote:
Artists send their best and trash the rest. Don't make the model do the work of sorting through photos that provide them no benefit or that don't meet the goals of the shoot, regardless of the reason.

I agree. I would never send a model a picture that I wished I had not taken i.e. a wardrobe slip and the shutter fires. It happens when the model is moving quickly and the photographer is shooting fast. In the edit you see it and have an "opps" moment so you delete it along with the others that are not up to your standard. I, myself, would never agree to send every picture I shot and never have for that very reason. I don't show my mistakes or poor images. This is not to say the pictures I do send are great, but they are at my best level. And I certainly would never send a picture that I thought might embarrass the model. They are deleted. I think we know what a model wants and doesn't want because we  are sensitive people and listen to what she/he is looking for from the shoot.

Nov 17 23 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:
Here's a suggestion, old chap: Book a session for 3-4 hours. Speak to the model. Slow down. Who knows, you may even produce  some "fine-art " after all.

"The really important thing is to choose the right model."

When exactly has that not been so?

Your profile pictures are correctly focused and exposed, I'm just wondering why it is that some of your models look a little pissed.

Dec 02 23 06:53 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Poor old JSouthworth.  Continuing his tactic / long history of attacking everyone else's portfolio's (and it's quite the distinguished club!) while, understandably, STILL flatly refusing to allow anyone to critique his portfolio.

And for those that have suggested that JSouthworth is actually just an "AI Troll" creation, I'd enter his portfolio as evidence on the subject.  Just ask yourself, would an AI create that work???

Dec 02 23 07:46 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

LightDreams wrote:
Poor old JSouthworth.  Continuing his tactic / long history of attacking everyone else's portfolio's (and it's quite the distinguished club!) while, understandably, STILL flatly refusing to allow anyone to critique his portfolio.

You obviously have a short memory.

Dec 02 23 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
Your profile pictures are correctly focused and exposed, I'm just wondering why it is that some of your models look a little pissed.

Yes, old chap.  They are so "pissed" they return for more sessions.

And BTW, your critique of my portfolio its out of order.

Dec 02 23 08:25 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:

Yes, old chap.  They are so "pissed" they return for more sessions.

And BTW, your critique of my portfolio its out of order.

Somehow I don't think so.

Dec 02 23 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

Somehow I don't think so.

Feel free to contact any one of them, old chap.

Dec 02 23 09:42 am Link