Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > (SF Bay Area) Need help finding MUA...

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but how can I find a make-up artist who uses a particular brand of make-up to work with?
Looking for a creative to help style a glamour shoot, but not sell me their whole line of product ($$$$).
Ideas would be welcome - SF, Emeryville, Berkeley, etc. given preference.

Sep 03 23 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I think you are being unrealistic. Make up and hair folks, use the products they have tried and like, and know how to use well. They have a mix of brands in their kits, and not just one brand. If they try a product they don't like, they will not use that product, because they want to do the best possible job, to get more referrals and more work.

In SF, you will be in one of the most expensive markets for that service, in the entire country. So, you will likely be facing $400.-$500. daily rates, or higher. If you are shooting for a client, and can pass that on, fine.............if not, you need to have the model do their own, and hopefully you know enough to guide them on how to do that. I actually learned make up for that reason, I needed to be able to teach models how to do their own, photo shoot make up. That was one of the things I once did.........I taught modeling and make up, for a modeling school. Hair, on the other hand, I didn't have time to learn. Imperfect hair is easier to get by with, than poor make up.

Rick

Sep 08 23 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Fall River Photo

Salinas, California, US

GSmithPhoto wrote:
Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but how can I find a make-up artist who uses a particular brand of make-up to work with?
Looking for a creative to help style a glamour shoot, but not sell me their whole line of product ($$$$).
Ideas would be welcome - SF, Emeryville, Berkeley, etc. given preference.

Gregory,

For those narrow specifications, I would put out a Casting Call for a Make-Up Artist. Definitely include which brand it is that you want them to use, and see if there are any who find you through that. That seems to be a long-shot, though. But perhaps it isn't just models and photographers who look through the Casting Calls from time to time.

The other path I would investigate would be to determine who in your areas is using the specific brand. This would require contacting the manufacturer's rep to find out to which salons/studios they supply product, then asking among them for anyone available for prepping your shoot.

The boudoir photographers in your area may not be keeping their individual MUAH artists busy enough and may be willing to ask around for you.

And the next wedding show in your area may have booths representing MUAH for bridal parties. Collect the business cards and call them later, since they'd be focused on their usual end-user clientele during the show itself.

Finally, for an additional fee, the model(s) involved in the shoot may find it helpful to expand their own make-up repertoire in order to competenly create the look you're seeking.

Those are the directions I would suggest. Happy hunting.

Yours,
Bill

Sep 12 23 06:20 am Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Fall River Photo wrote:

Gregory,

For those narrow specifications, I would put out a Casting Call for a Make-Up Artist. Definitely include which brand it is that you want them to use, and see if there are any who find you through that. That seems to be a long-shot, though. But perhaps it isn't just models and photographers who look through the Casting Calls from time to time.

The other path I would investigate would be to determine who in your areas is using the specific brand. This would require contacting the manufacturer's rep to find out to which salons/studios they supply product, then asking among them for anyone available for prepping your shoot.

The boudoir photographers in your area may not be keeping their individual MUAH artists busy enough and may be willing to ask around for you.

And the next wedding show in your area may have booths representing MUAH for bridal parties. Collect the business cards and call them later, since they'd be focused on their usual end-user clientele during the show itself.

Finally, for an additional fee, the model(s) involved in the shoot may find it helpful to expand their own make-up repertoire in order to competenly create the look you're seeking.

Those are the directions I would suggest. Happy hunting.

Yours,
Bill

Thank you so much for your helpful information!
I've found that for the occasional high-end portrait client, M A C Cosmetics has created a wonderful glamour look for portraits, making my job of making them look great that much easier.  M A C has retail establishments in the Bay Area, and from speaking with them, they have Beauty Consultants who sell the appropriate products that best suit the individuals' needs.
Working in a hotel environment, I come across MUAH's who are there to apply make-up for the bridal parties, but no one seems to do glamour beauty make-up.

Your ideas sound good, however, and I'll give them a try.

-Gregory

Sep 14 23 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Fall River Photo

Salinas, California, US

Thank you so much for your helpful information!
I've found that for the occasional high-end portrait client, M A C Cosmetics has created a wonderful glamour look for portraits, making my job of making them look great that much easier.  M A C has retail establishments in the Bay Area, and from speaking with them, they have Beauty Consultants who sell the appropriate products that best suit the individuals' needs.
Working in a hotel environment, I come across MUAH's who are there to apply make-up for the bridal parties, but no one seems to do glamour beauty make-up.

Your ideas sound good, however, and I'll give them a try.

-Gregory

I'm not always following in the forums, but I'd love to hear how the search turns out. Feel free to message me with how it goes.
Bill

Sep 14 23 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

"...Working in a hotel environment, I come across MUAH's who are there to apply make-up for the bridal parties, but no one seems to do glamour beauty make-up..."

Gregory I am a Bridal Makeup Artist...  My MM MUA account: https://www.modelmayhem.com/ArtistryImage
I do photography for primarily for marketing purposes... the Lion's sharing of my revenue stream is in Bridal work, (I also hold a Cosmetologist License in Makeup Artistry from the state of Maryland)... Which allowed me to work in commercial Beauty Salons.   

I quick glance at your MM account Gregory puts you on my "unacceptable" list of talent to collaborate with.
Why? You have "Mature" imagery in your book... which can be and often is the proverbial "Kiss of Death" for a Makeup artist. The reason for this is a high percentage of my "Bridal Clients" are actually the MOB not the Bride herself... the MOB is the check book holder in this equation and to quote the late (and very gifted Commercial Photographer) Dean Collins... "Beauty is in the eyes of the checkbook holder"

Bridal Makeup is the ultimate attainment level for makeup artistry... I specialize in Silicon Airbrush Makeup which brides can't cry off... And trust me, all brides cry on their wedding day... There is no way I would consider jeopardized my visual statement by including vast amounts of "Glamour" imagery in my book... I'm focused on Beauty Genre...

The good news is you've discovered MAC and their in store reps are highly experience and very talented... Listen carefully to what they tell you.

Best Advice? Loose your desire to shoot glamour and especially "Mature" imagery and instead (ideally) become a Wedding Photographer which is were the revenue is... There is virtually little if any recompense for shooting glamour except for a precise few who are at the zenith of this genre...

Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
All the best on your photographic journey Gregory

Sep 20 23 08:29 am Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
The good news is you've discovered MAC and their in store reps are highly experience and very talented... Listen carefully to what they tell you.

Best Advice? Loose your desire to shoot glamour and especially "Mature" imagery and instead (ideally) become a Wedding Photographer which is were the revenue is...
Hope this helps or is at least food for thought...
All the best on your photographic journey Gregory

Well, my introduction should continue to include some backstory - I started out shooting weddings, beginning as a second shooter, then moving on to my booking my own weddings.  When I suffered a stroke which hospitalized me for two weeks, I chose to let go of the stress associated with shooting weddings.  I continued to shoot, but on a far smaller scale for individuals. 
I enjoy photography once again, not as a profession, not to make money, but a form of meditation and relaxation.  I'm reaching out to a model who is also a licensed cosmetologist who is a former MAC Cosmetics consultant.  I don't mind paying for the results, since it's funded by the client.  I wish you great success in your endeavors, Mr. Van Dyke.  I'm very happy with where mine have taken me.

P.S.  Four images, most are marked 'M' in order to be in compliance with Model Mayhem rules.  Thankfully that places me on your list of 'unacceptable' people to collaborate with here.

Sep 24 23 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Searched for Top Glamour Makeup Artists in San Francisco

https://giggster.com/blog/makeup-artist … ncisco-ca/

Sep 28 23 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

GSmithPhoto wrote:
P.S.  Four images, most are marked 'M' in order to be in compliance with Model Mayhem rules.  Thankfully that places me on your list of 'unacceptable' people to collaborate with here.

Why do you say "thankfully"?

Sep 29 23 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Why do you say "thankfully"?

Being pleasant.

You've worked with Country Girl too, huh?  I had the pleasure of two sessions with her, one in the Dry Creek Valley (Sonoma County, CA), and one along the wild Sonoma Coast north of Jenner.

Oct 04 23 04:03 am Link